Menu

what do you think of this curriculum?

This appears to be new so I'm guessing no one has ever used it, but does anyone want to take a look and let me know what you think of it?

http://www.evolutionhomeschool.com/index.html

I'm looking for a secular, boxed curriculum for kindergarten. After looking at this, I might actually get the 1st grade curriculum. It says it's supposedly more affordable than most curricula out there, but it still seems rather expensive. From what I remember, that's about the going rate for an all-in-one curriculum, though.

How about the material covered? Does it look like it's good, enough, etc?

I'm having a hard time deciding what to go with for my DD in the fall and I just happened upon this one, which appears to be what I'm looking for. I just figured I'd ask all of you experienced folk. :)

It's a repackager mostly. Singapore math, Evan-Moor geography, JacKris grammar, McGraw-Hill Science... And maybe some of their own content for spelling and literature it looked like? It's fine if that's what you want. The price is probably about right assuming you get all the SM books and a schedule and so forth... but presumably you could put it together yourself for cheaper because otherwise why would they exist as a company.

On the FAQ page they state you don't get lesson plans. Really, if you like those books just buy those books and do one lesson at a time. From the passage comprehension samples, it wouldn't take too much to just ask "What color was Pinocchio's hat" or whatnot. They don't even give a book list, but have the child just pick a bunch of books out at the library or bookstore.

To me, the benefit of buying a packaged curriculum (and paying the extra money) is to have the lesson plans & additional projects I don't want to research and create on my own. If that's not being offered, just find the stuff you like and want to use and work without a schedule that way.

It's a repackager mostly. Singapore math, Evan-Moor geography, JacKris grammar, McGraw-Hill Science... And maybe some of their own content for spelling and literature it looked like? It's fine if that's what you want. The price is probably about right assuming you get all the SM books and a schedule and so forth... but presumably you could put it together yourself for cheaper because otherwise why would they exist as a company.

I've never heard of a "repackager" kind of curriculum. I was really confused when I looked at the math samples and saw that it was Singapore math. I didn't realize it was legal to do something like that!

On the FAQ page they state you don't get lesson plans. Really, if you like those books just buy those books and do one lesson at a time. From the passage comprehension samples, it wouldn't take too much to just ask "What color was Pinocchio's hat" or whatnot. They don't even give a book list, but have the child just pick a bunch of books out at the library or bookstore. To me, the benefit of buying a packaged curriculum (and paying the extra money) is to have the lesson plans & additional projects I don't want to research and create on my own. If that's not being offered, just find the stuff you like and want to use and work without a schedule that way.

The one thing I didn't like was the part about my child picking out their own books. I mean, it would be nice to at least have examples of books we should use.

According to their FAQ:

Does Evolution Homeschool's curriculum include lesson plans or academic schedules?

Not really. Our curriculum is meant to be child-focused and family-directed. We don’t re-create the classroom at home. While some of our subjects do include parent guides, others do not. Our homeschool curriculum is meant to be both child-friendly and parent-friendly. Families will find that lengthy lesson guides just aren't needed.

So they don't even include a schedule.

What really makes me wonder is that many of the materials they use are some of the most commonly pirated homeschool curricula. Singapore math, EM geography, A Closer Look science... all have pirated (and thus illegal) copies floating around out there. After looking at the website, I'm actually thinking that they may be trying to sell pirated copies. Otherwise, it's kind of a random assortment of curricula. If anyone does go ahead and order this, you'll have to let us know if it's the actual textbooks or if it's the reprinted pirated copies.

I'd be really wary of ordering from these people.

To me, the benefit of buying a packaged curriculum (and paying the extra money) is to have the lesson plans & additional projects I don't want to research and create on my own. If that's not being offered, just find the stuff you like and want to use and work without a schedule that way.

Yes, this. Especially the bolded!

According to their FAQ:

So they don't even include a schedule.

What really makes me wonder is that many of the materials they use are some of the most commonly pirated homeschool curricula. Singapore math, EM geography, A Closer Look science... all have pirated (and thus illegal) copies floating around out there. After looking at the website, I'm actually thinking that they may be trying to sell pirated copies. Otherwise, it's kind of a random assortment of curricula. If anyone does go ahead and order this, you'll have to let us know if it's the actual textbooks or if it's the reprinted pirated copies.

I'd be really wary of ordering from these people.

I didn't look for long, obviously, but how silly that there isn't even a schedule. Worthless. The pirated thing didn't even occur to me.