Menu

Magazines for preschoolers?

BarbecueMom

I need to get some magazines or comics that are suitable for DS4 and DS3 to have during their quiet time. I'm looking for something that doesn't require a parent to walk them though (like news topics), and that doesn't have mostly games and puzzles (writing implements behind closed doors is asking for trouble). They haven't been too interested in the National Geographic Little Kids issues that someone gave us, but they love maps and catalogs of anything. Ideas?

We just started getting Highlights High Five for my 3yo. I know you said that your kids don't seem interested, but do the issues they have have the animal cards? My 5yo has been getting National Geographic for a few years and he loves them - especially the animal cards. We keep them in a little gift card tin and he likes to spread them all out and arrange and then rearrange them lol.

Maps and catalogs . . . not toy catalogs I suppose? J M Cremps have AWESOME toys for boys. Fat Brain Toys is pretty cool to :-). Curriculum catalogs? Seed, garden, farm catalogs? A lot of the are free as well. My boys like the Plan Parents catalogs where you can gift animals etc to a developing country. what kinds of catalogs do they like?

We just started getting Highlights High Five for my 3yo. I know you said that your kids don't seem interested, but do the issues they have have the animal cards? My 5yo has been getting National Geographic for a few years and he loves them - especially the animal cards. We keep them in a little gift card tin and he likes to spread them all out and arrange and then rearrange them lol.

Maps and catalogs . . . not toy catalogs I suppose? J M Cremps have AWESOME toys for boys. Fat Brain Toys is pretty cool to :-). Curriculum catalogs? Seed, garden, farm catalogs? A lot of the are free as well. My boys like the Plan Parents catalogs where you can gift animals etc to a developing country. what kinds of catalogs do they like?

DS4 doesn't like animals, so I think that was his aversion to the NG magazines. He has several catalogs from model train companies, and he loves the Mindware catalog (before DS3 shredded them). Anything science (other than animals) or engineering is up his alley. He actually spent a whole day nosing through the giant Rainbow Resource catalog when we first got it! I'm going to buy him a map book today, too.

DS3 loves animals, but I think he'd like something with mostly nature and animal photos. He didn't like the bright colors and drawings and writing all over the pictures in the kids' issues. He LOVES insects, but he's "read" our bug encyclopedia cover-to-cover about fifty times already.

Toy catalogs tend to get them running out of their rooms every five minutes to show me something else they found. We tried the "circle it and tell me later" approach, but the excitement overwhelmed him after a day or so.

This is a bit late, but you might try the regular NG mag for DS3. My 3 year old likes it better than the kid version. You could also try Ranger Rick/Jr. How about Zoobooks?

Babybug, Ladybug, or Spider

Ask, Dig, or Muse (slightly older audience, but might interest DS4 as they are more science based)

Calliope is history focused again for a little older.

Haven't actually seen this one but I've had it recommended Kids Discovery Magazine.

Highlights Hi Five or hidden picture books from the library have worked out well here. I have trouble finding age appropriate hidden picture books, but when I do and they don't require a lot of reading-we're golden.

There's a Mother Goose comic book that my son adored. Each page has it's own illustrations and the rhyme.

What about re usable sticker scene books? My son tends to end up wearing the stickers though...

There's a fun map book that my son loves called The Once Upon A Time Map Book that lays out maps set in 6 different story worlds(Peter Pan, Oz, Jack and the Beanstalk etc.) There's some hidden objects, cute illustrations, and my son uses it to make up his own stories as well and narrate his own directions.

This is a bit late, but you might try the regular NG mag for DS3. My 3 year old likes it better than the kid version. You could also try Ranger Rick/Jr. How about Zoobooks? Babybug, Ladybug, or Spider Ask, Dig, or Muse (slightly older audience, but might interest DS4 as they are more science based) Calliope is history focused again for a little older. Haven't actually seen this one but I've had it recommended Kids Discovery Magazine.

I'll look at those. I think I'll start picking up copies of Popular Science or National Geographic when I remember to look at the store. I don't think I need a whole subscription, but I know they like the grown-up versions of magazines well enough.

Highlights Hidden Pictures might be a good choice if you caun trust them with stickers.

HA! DS4 can handle stickers and pencils and the like. DS3... could destroy an empty room by looking at it. But he does like hidden pictures, thanks!

Highlights Hi Five or hidden picture books from the library have worked out well here. I have trouble finding age appropriate hidden picture books, but when I do and they don't require a lot of reading-we're golden. There's a Mother Goose comic book that my son adored. Each page has it's own illustrations and the rhyme. What about re usable sticker scene books? My son tends to end up wearing the stickers though... There's a fun map book that my son loves called The Once Upon A Time Map Book that lays out maps set in 6 different story worlds(Peter Pan, Oz, Jack and the Beanstalk etc.) There's some hidden objects, cute illustrations, and my son uses it to make up his own stories as well and narrate his own directions.

DS3 loves the I Spy books, and I know our used bookstore has several. Another vote for hidden pictures... must look into that.

Reusable sticker books are tough because they usually end up clinging to the cats. :laugh:

DS4 would love that map book! We're actually working our way through the non-Super Why version of fairy tales right now, so they are fresh in his mind. Thanks!