Menu

Dry skin on sides of your nose?

Janie Grace

The skin on either side of my nose (the widest part) is flaky. (Not the skin ON my nose but on my face right where my nose meets my face, if that makes any sense). It has been this way for about six months but it's getting worse. The dermatologist said it's probably excema and to use hydrocortisone cream occasionally to help it. That does help a bit, but not completely and I'm tired of dealing with it. I put coconut oil on it last night and it really seemed to help. Right now it's BURNING. It has never been uncomfortable until today. It seems like it's getting worse. What could this be and what should I do? I also have some flakiness where my eyebrows start, under the hair.

Seborrhea.

Miconazole cream helps. Some people use nizoral shampoo.

Google. There are tons of pictures and helps.

Thank you -- I googled it and it sounds like exactly what I have. It did start at a very stressful time and has continued. Seems like rest and sunlight help. I'll look up the products you mentioned. Thanks again!!!

My eyebrows used to flake horribly, but I rarely have any trouble as long as I consistently use my Clinique soap, clarifying lotion, and moisturizer. I use the oily/combination skin formula and LOVE the moisturizer! I have never been able to use a moisturizer before because of my oily skin, but then I would get the flaky patches. My skin is much happier now. :)

http://www.clinique....pl?slide=1��And

I like the bar soap because even the little ones last a long, long time. I use Clarifying Lotion 3, and http://www.clinique....-Gel/index.tmpl -moisturizing gel.

I didn't start using Clinique until I was 40, and I think it dramatically helped my skin. (And if you only knew how hard it was for me to spend that much money on face stuff.)

My 2 cents: I had patches of very dry flakey skin on my face in the winter for years. I stopped using all soaps and cleaners on my face. i only use a washcloth and warm water. I pat dry and moisturize with coconut oil. Works great for me. Once a week I do an exfoliating mask with a crushed aspirin in a teaspoon of yogurt.

I have had this problem in the past, especialy this time of year. I bought some Olay daily scrub (very fine, gently face scrub) and the flakes are gone. It's made to be used daily and I use it about 5 out of 7 days. It's just a very light daily exfoliation. That was the only thing to get it under control. The tube is kind of expensive, though - it's right at $20. Can be found in drugstores/grocery stores.

My eyebrows used to flake horribly, but I rarely have any trouble as long as I consistently use my Clinique soap, clarifying lotion, and moisturizer. I use the oily/combination skin formula and LOVE the moisturizer! I have never been able to use a moisturizer before because of my oily skin, but then I would get the flaky patches. My skin is much happier now. :)

http://www.clinique....pl?slide=1��And

I like the bar soap because even the little ones last a long, long time. I use Clarifying Lotion 3, and http://www.clinique....-Gel/index.tmpl -moisturizing gel.

I didn't start using Clinique until I was 40, and I think it dramatically helped my skin. (And if you only knew how hard it was for me to spend that much money on face stuff.)

I mentioned to my sister that my eyebrows were flaky (what a weird problem!) and she sent me some clinique products for christmas but I haven't gotten into the habit of using them yet.

Do you use this every night?

I just started using argan oil on my face after I shower, by "pressing" it into my skin while still slightly damp, and my flakiness has disappeared for the first time ever. Bonus = my skin is super soft now! After trying so many things, (but not all the ones listed here, so it might be a YMMV thing) I think the key to my issue was adding the oil while the skin was still damp, and pressing it in - other things I've tried didn't seem to last but a few hours. The redness is gone, too, FWIW.

I do use exfoliating gloves in the shower, with a creamy cleanser and then follow up with the argan oil. If my face dries before I get it on, I'll just re-dampen it with my hands. It's like a whole new world for me, as I've always had the eyebrow/side nose issue. And rarely I'd even get some flaking on the sides of my smile, where your laugh lines are. Blech.

I hope you find something that works for you, it's so aggravating.

I mentioned to my sister that my eyebrows were flaky (what a weird problem!) and she sent me some clinique products for christmas but I haven't gotten into the habit of using them yet.

Do you use this every night?

Every morning and I try to remember to do it every night, but I don't do very well getting to it at night. ;)

Thank you -- I googled it and it sounds like exactly what I have. It did start at a very stressful time and has continued. Seems like rest and sunlight help. I'll look up the products you mentioned. Thanks again!!!

It is really common, and I treat about 2 cases a week (of course, I'm dealing with homeless people who have let it get WAAAAAAAAAAy out of hand).

For the nizoral shampoo, you make a nice foam of it in warm water and pat the foam on and let it dry and rinse off. I do that for "greasy" cases. For dry cases, I use the cream.

For a preventative, some people just wash their face in their selsun blue once a week, if they are using that on their hair already.

dealt with this for years, dont use HYDROCORTISONE. I found Neem cream at a healthfood store and it worked but i had to stop using it ($16 a jar) I found that olive oil works the same. It heals it overnight. I used olive oil in wet hands to moisturize at night. Mine is brought on by food allergies, milk primarily.

I just started using argan oil on my face after I shower, by "pressing" it into my skin while still slightly damp, and my flakiness has disappeared for the first time ever. Bonus = my skin is super soft now! After trying so many things, (but not all the ones listed here, so it might be a YMMV thing) I think the key to my issue was adding the oil while the skin was still damp, and pressing it in - other things I've tried didn't seem to last but a few hours. The redness is gone, too, FWIW.

I do use exfoliating gloves in the shower, with a creamy cleanser and then follow up with the argan oil. If my face dries before I get it on, I'll just re-dampen it with my hands. It's like a whole new world for me, as I've always had the eyebrow/side nose issue. And rarely I'd even get some flaking on the sides of my smile, where your laugh lines are. Blech.

I hope you find something that works for you, it's so aggravating.

Where do you get this argan oil? Is there a certain type? Thanks!