Menu

Kitchen sink--single basin or double?

PrairieSong

We are remodeling our kitchen. Demo starts next week. We have selected cabinets, flooring, and counter tops but are looking at sinks. I am leaning toward a large single basin sink that I could easily fit cookie sheets and my larger pots in, but am wondering if I would regret a single basin sink for any reason.

So, what do you have? Do you love it or hate it, and why?

Single. I would never go back to a double. While I recognize that reasonable minds may differ on a number of issues--religion, politics, language arts curricula, plastic versus paper, this is not one of them. Everyone with any sense and who has used a single basin sink prefers a single basin sink. ;) Don't let anyone talk you into one of those three-bowl monstrosities, either. That's the worst of both worlds.

Terri

Single or double is definately a hot topic!

I was going to go with a single when we remodeled but changed my mind at the last minute.

I was pictureing myself with water in the sink ( when you clean as you go cook) and then I had to dump a cup of coffee or drain the pasta or whatever and there was no sink to dump it in.

I went with a Kohler smart sink. It is double, but the center divide is quite low. I can and have at times filled both sinks so I could soak a large pan. With the divider lower, you can wash large cookie sheets and what not much easier.

Undermount is definately the only way to go. In a sense it gives you more counter space. No tippy plates sitting on the edge of the sink.

I have a double bowl where one is slightly smaller and the other larger and deeper and I love that.

do NOT get silgranite from blanco. Mine cracked simply from the heat of draining spaghetti water. blanco used to have a warranty that covered cracking (so they paid to replace the sink - we had to pay the plumber), but heat cracks are now excluded from the warranty. it was also a pain in the rear to clean.

Double! This is my future sink and I go visit it from time to time.

We wash dishes by hand and I grew up with this type of sink. Wash in one side, drain in the other. If the dishes are put away, there is a dirty dishes side and an empty side. No more dishes cluttering the counter. Ahh . . .

I was on the fence until I was staying in my mom's house alone and doing the dishes there by hand for the first time in years and she has a very similar huge double-bowl sink. It was so huge.

I had no idea this was such a hot topic! I think whether or not you hand wash dishes is a pretty huge factor.

I went with a large single sink (farmhouse style) and I absolutely love it. No regrets. I had the usual double sink for years and was always so frustrated with it when doing hand washing of large items. And it works well as a bath for pets and babies :)

This is pretty much what I have: http://www.vintagetub.com/asp/product_detail.asp?item_no=wh3018-white

Double. I like having a wash side and a rinse side. We got a new sink a couple of years ago and it was bigger than our old one (still a double sink.) It requires so much more water to fill that I feel like I am wasting water. If I had a large single sink, I would need so much more water to soak dishes. Plus, it is a pain to drain pasta, rinse out my tea strainer, fill a pot with water, etc. whenever I am washing dishes.

Double. How do you drain pasta, pour out tuna juice, etc, if the entire sink is filled with stuff? As I'm cleaning, the dirty dishes pile up in the sink not on the counter. If you're making pancakes, where do you put the scraper? You don't put it on the counter where the batter will harden. You have to put it in the sink. And not directly into a big soapy sink. You want to rinse it off before putting the gooey scraper in the water. Even if you don't have a sink full of soapy water, you still need room to drain/spill/rinse/wash hands, etc.

With a double sink, you also have a place for dishes to dry. If you have enough space, you could put them in a drainer on a counter, but I don't think of that very often because I have very limited counter space. So, if there's not enough counter space, it's nice to let dishes dry down in the sink.

Do you double sink people not have dishwashers? You know, for everything except the big stuff that does not fit into a dishwasher and, oh by the way, doesn't fit into your teeny little double sinks, either?

Big dishes get washed in the sink. And filled with water themselves. I do not even have a plug for my big sink and am baffled by this double sink preference. Do you not know how many dishes one can hide in a big single sink? Bonus!

Terri

Wow, so many different opinions! I was thinking of a Blanco silgranite sink but didn't know they could crack just by draining pasta! Will have to consider that. Most of our dishes go into the dishwasher, except for bigger pots and pans and a few, very few, items that are not dishwasher safe. I'm leaning toward a single basin but I do love reading all the various opinions.

Do you double sink people not have dishwashers? You know, for everything except the big stuff that does not fit into a dishwasher and, oh by the way, doesn't fit into your teeny little double sinks, either?

Big dishes get washed in the sink. And filled with water themselves. I do not even have a plug for my big sink and am baffled by this double sink preference. Do you not know how many dishes one can hide in a big single sink? Bonus!

Terri

No, we do not have a dishwasher. Everything gets washed by hand, including the big stuff. The only thing that doesn't fit in the sink well is our one cookie sheet (I still manage to clean it), but everything else fits just fine. *shrug*

Terri

Yes, this. Also, I was reading on the another forum that one person sometimes uses a small dishpan for any little items that must be hand washed. You would still have part of the sink available to rinse dishes or whatever. I would love love love it if my large pots and cookie sheets actually fit in my sink.

I wonder if family size dictates a bit what we might like? With 4 boys and a husband to feed, I often use really large pots and pans. Perhaps those with smaller family size don't use the same type of cookware...or may not use a dishwasher. There were days a few years ago when I would run 2 loads in the dishwasher as well as do pots/pans by hand. I typically cooked 3 meals a day back then.

Do you double sink people not have dishwashers?

we can end up with more dirty dishes than a dishwasher will hold - and we run the dishwasher AT LEAST once a day. also, there are certain items that I will not, under any circumstances, put in a dishwasher becasue it would ruin them.

Do you double sink people not have dishwashers? You know, for everything except the big stuff that does not fit into a dishwasher and, oh by the way, doesn't fit into your teeny little double sinks, either? Big dishes get washed in the sink. And filled with water themselves. I do not even have a plug for my big sink and am baffled by this double sink preference. Do you not know how many dishes one can hide in a big single sink? Bonus! Terri

Much of my cookware does not go into the dishwasher. Stone ware, cast iron, have to be washed by hand and stuff like my milking things need to be soaked in bleach.

Single large sink unless your double sinks can be large. I've had the double for years and I could never fit large pots or cookies sheets in them. Since I have a dishwasher I'm only washing pots and pans.

My double is pretty large. I think a huge deal though is the faucet that you choose. I have a tall gooseneck faucet and between the big double sink and the gooseneck, I can easily fit a 5 gallon bucket underneath it. I do it all the time. Having the tall faucet makes cleaning the big pots and cookie sheets quite simple.

So OP consider your faucet too!

I prefer double. I don't think I'd care one way or the other if I had a dishwasher. Double is much more convenient for me when hand washing, although I've hand washed many dishes in a single sink.

All I really care about is having a sink. We lived in a house without plumbing in the kitchen and I missed the sink.

No, we do not have a dishwasher. Everything gets washed by hand, including the big stuff. The only thing that doesn't fit in the sink well is our one cookie sheet (I still manage to clean it), but everything else fits just fine. *shrug*

Just want to make sure everyone realizes I am not serious when I say reasonable minds cannot differ on this topic (I gather from the shrug that that's not quite clear), but I do think this is an excellent point--whether you have a dishwasher or not makes a huge difference as to how you use the sink. My sink is not piled high with dishes--my dishwasher is, to overflowing, but not the sink. My beloved single-bowl sink is used 90% of the time for washing pots and pans and those awful 9x13" glass casserole dishes.

Terri

Double, I like to keep dirty dishes on one side and have the other side (with the garbage disposal) empty for meal prep/cleanup. I hate having veggie peelings for instance all over my dishes, I just want them to be able to go straight down the drain/disposal.

As far as a dishwasher, yes I have one and it's used A LOT. I run at least 3 loads a day (because I cook almost everything from scratch and I hate hand washing of dishes, plus we have a large family and a single meal generates close to a load of dishes. Everything I own goes in the dishwasher), so frequently the dishwasher is already busy when I'm meal prepping so the new dirty dishes have to accumulate in the sink until the dishwasher is down.

Just want to make sure everyone realizes I am not serious when I say reasonable minds cannot differ on this topic (I gather from the shrug that that's not quite clear), but I do think this is an excellent point--whether you have a dishwasher or not makes a huge difference as to how you use the sink. My sink is not piled high with dishes--my dishwasher is, to overflowing, but not the sink. My beloved single-bowl sink is used 90% of the time for washing pots and pans and those awful 9x13" glass casserole dishes.

Terri

The shrug was b/c my double sink is not teeny and it fits all of my dishes (with the exception of my one cookie sheet), so it isn't a big deal. Our sink is not piled high with dishes either, we keep up on them fairly well...we all wash as they are used...but it is still nice to be able to have dishes soaking on one side and still be able to rinse vegetables or drain pasta. If I'm busy cooking a big meal, I'd rather not take up counter space with dirty dishes.

We have a huge, deep double sink and when we remodel our kitchen, I will get another huge, deep double sink. I'm often doing 2 things at once. We do have a dishwasher, but I wash big soup pots and pans, cutting boards, etc by hand without issue.

Double sided sinks are so handy for many reasons mentioned above. I do too many things at once to have just one basin.

My dishwasher isn't the best and I am picky about what goes in it. My daughter will stuff it with all manner of things, but they don't necessarily get clean. I suppose it is a pain to have a double sided sink for big items, but I don't mind washing half and then flipping it to wash the other half.

We have a double basin and I prefer it. We've rented houses on vacation that have the large single and I hated it. Of course, I'm one of those who likes to keep the dirty dishes on one side til get around to cleaning them. It just makes washing and rinsing dishes so much more difficult because you are have to wash and rinse one thing at a time because you can't fill up the sink with water and soak dishes, then rinse because the water is dirty and the sink is already full of water. My sil has the large sink with a small side one rather than a regular double and that's just as bad. I'd go with a double.

We have a double basin sink. I don't love or hate it. It's a pretty standard model so there's not an excessive amount of space. At times it would be nice if each basin was twice its size, but I don't feel like it's necessary on a daily basis. I don't think I would ever want just a single basin though.

I have both and we prefer the double. We handwash and it is convenient to soak the pot in one basin and wash the dirty dishes and utensils in the other. Our double basin has two large sides so we did not have any problem fitting a big pot in. MIL has a single basin and uses a dish pan to soak.

I have lived in a lot of different houses with different types of sinks and my favorite was one that had a smaller side and a larger side. It was sort of like this, but I know they come in lots of materials, sizes and dimensions: Manhattan+Double+Bowl+and+Small+Side+Rectangular+Undermount+Kitchen+Sink.jpg

This is the sink I have. It works well. The larger side is deeper as well.

Double. Double. Double. Double. Double.

Hate the single basin in this rental. We wash by hand so I guess that makes a difference, but even if we didn't I'd choose double. If someone stacks dirty dishes in it and I need to drain the pasta I've got to move it all. Or I'd love to be able to let something soak in one side while using the other. Our single basin is small, but even if it was huge I'd want a double.

I have lived in a lot of different houses with different types of sinks and my favorite was one that had a smaller side and a larger side.

It was sort of like this, but I know they come in lots of materials, sizes and dimensions:

Manhattan+Double+Bowl+and+Small+Side+Rectangular+Undermount+Kitchen+Sink.jpg

This is very much like my sink. The one side is big and deep (probably as large as many single sinks, and also probably deeper - I love how deep it is!); the other side is shallower and just big enough to put a dish drying rack in, and I dry pots, good knives, and anything else that needs handwashing or doesn't fit well in the dishwasher in there.

For those of you who prefer single sinks, where do you dry? I do not want to use up counter space with a dish rack, nor do I want to hand-dry everything right away.

I have a question and I am not being snarky, I just really want to know.

For those of you who only have one sink what do you do on say Thanksgiving day when you are in continuous cook and clean up mode. Seriously, sometimes that one knife gets washed 5 times before we serve the big meal?

I had thought that one sink would be awesome to soak that big ol roaster and those enormous cookies sheets, but I was picture having to have a dish pan sitting around for those big cooking days.

I prefer to clean as you go when I am cooking, meaning I have one sink full of water to wash counter,s knives, throw the innerds from the food processor to get the first layer of junk off..you know what i mean.

If you have one sink do you just never wash anything in the sink? It all goes directly to the dishwasher?

I have a question and I am not being snarky, I just really want to know.

For those of you who only have one sink what do you do on say Thanksgiving day when you are in continuous cook and clean up mode. Seriously, sometimes that one knife gets washed 5 times before we serve the big meal?

I had thought that one sink would be awesome to soak that big ol roaster and those enormous cookies sheets, but I was picture having to have a dish pan sitting around for those big cooking days.

I prefer to clean as you go when I am cooking, meaning I have one sink full of water to wash counter,s knives, throw the innerds from the food processor to get the first layer of junk off..you know what i mean.

If you have one sink do you just never wash anything in the sink? It all goes directly to the dishwasher?

I never *fill* the sink. We wash each individual piece and either dry it or place it on a drying mat on the countertop next to the sink. I don't like to wash lots of stuff in one sink full of soapy water - I prefer the clean water rinse, individual wash, then hot rinse off, and then dry. This process uses more water, I'm sure, but I feel better about it. Just one of those weird quirks :)

I never *fill* the sink. We wash each individual piece and either dry it or place it on a drying mat on the countertop next to the sink. I don't like to wash lots of stuff in one sink full of soapy water - I prefer the clean water rinse, individual wash, then hot rinse off, and then dry. This process uses more water, I'm sure, but I feel better about it. Just one of those weird quirks :)

Me too.

This is the way I wash too, but I dry the dishes in the other half of the sink. I would hate to take up counter space with a drying mat. Also, this way I don't have to worry about anything falling/sliding off the clean drying pile like I would if it were on the counter. And the water drains right into the drain.

Double! Of course, not having a dishwaher (other than the ones I gave birth to) probably colors that. All of our rentals have doubles. I have to wash the HUGE chicken butchering pot in the back porch anyway--no one's kitchen sink is that big! It quite nicely holds a full-grown Golden Retriever or the ocassional cold baby lamb.

Not that you're butchering a Golden Retriever!!!!!!!!!

:smilielol5:

At least, we hope not! :svengo:

I have (and prefer) a large single basin sink, with a dishpan that I can set on the counter next to the sink if need be. I use large cast iron skillets and griddles (my big skillet is a 15" plus a handle) and cutting boards and really need the ability to get them fully down in the water. My MIL has the standard double basin, and that just would not work for me at all.

Yes, this. Also, I was reading on the another forum that one person sometimes uses a small dishpan for any little items that must be hand washed. You would still have part of the sink available to rinse dishes or whatever. I would love love love it if my large pots and cookie sheets actually fit in my sink.

This. This is what I came on to say.....if you need to hand wash while cooking just keep a dish pan under your sink for that purpose. I can't wait to get a big single sink!