Menu

Killer flu warning for Aus

Hakg

According to the report this is the same strain of 'Killer Flu' we had here last year.

It went from our winter to their's and is about to come back home again.

So it should be as scary as it was last year. Or wasn't.

We are well over-due for a really bad epidemic. Remember the Spanish Influenza killed more people than the World War preceeding it.

But if this were it, it should have got us last year.

Whilst it does scare me a little (or a lot lol), this is the bit I don't like:

advises people at risk to get their vaccinations as early as March.

With the other thing that went around (already forgotten what it was) when we went into the doctors they were orally forcing us to get the shots (you don't get the shot and you could die!). We were refusing (I only allow my kids & myself to get shots are I research the vacc in question) and they were acting like any second they would come out from behind the counter, grab my arm and plunge it in, even super-not-notice-surroundings-DH was mystified and got paranoid (completely unlike him so shows how bad it was, I actually started pushing the kids behind me in mama bear mode) I don't like the scare tactics they use nor do I fully trust the flu shots. (And I am not anti-vacc, my kids are fully vacc'ed) There just seem to be a lot of killer virus' on the loose lately and each comes with its own live (or dead but chemical and major side effects and not tested much) mutating virus with it.

OH MY .......UGH. Nuff rambling from me I have to go find the nook that people killing spider! went. It jumped. huge. spider. *shivers* I think ...ugh.

Sorry about that, one of my two phobias lol. Having a mini panic attack here.

I honestly didn't even here about it and considering DH works at a major Aus company, they usually hit first with the "get the shots" and warnings.

I also don't like the flu shot and I am more nervous about the huge push to get vaccinated than I am about the flu virus. Our doctor has never pushed the flu vaccine on us, simply asked if we wanted it and went onto something else when I said "no thanks." This year I was pressured too. Both the nurse and the doctor made me feel guilty for not vaccinating my kids and me against the flu, saying I was putting others at risk too. I weigh the pros and cons carefully with vaccines, because (and I admit I'm a little paranoid when it comes to stuff like this) I don't 100% trust our government to not "sneak" something else in there and I don't 100% trust the manufacturer to not use poisonous ingredients. None of us are in a high risk group (no babies, no asthma, no extreme exposure, etc).

Personally, I think it's mostly media hype, like everything else. I do know it's a rougher year than last year, simply because I know more people who have had the flu this year. But, I'm not overly worried about it. We did increase our immunity vitamins. :)

That article reads weird. It sounds like, "Hugh Jackman caught it, so you must take precautions!"

I read the article and (unfortunately) didn't get that from it. I was disappointed and wish I had settled for your summary. That cracked me up. :laugh:

Whilst it does scare me a little (or a lot lol), this is the bit I don't like:

With the other thing that went around (already forgotten what it was) when we went into the doctors they were orally forcing us to get the shots (you don't get the shot and you could die!). We were refusing (I only allow my kids & myself to get shots are I research the vacc in question) and they were acting like any second they would come out from behind the counter, grab my arm and plunge it in, even super-not-notice-surroundings-DH was mystified and got paranoid (completely unlike him so shows how bad it was, I actually started pushing the kids behind me in mama bear mode) I don't like the scare tactics they use nor do I fully trust the flu shots. (And I am not anti-vacc, my kids are fully vacc'ed) There just seem to be a lot of killer virus' on the loose lately and each comes with its own live (or dead but chemical and major side effects and not tested much) mutating virus with it.

Talk to someone there with legal expertise.If patients have the right to refuse treatment, you need to learn the exact phrase as it is written in the law books. Here in the US, the key phrase to use is, "I am exercising my patient's right to refuse this treatment. Is that a problem for you?"

Then any office staff person who has had any training (and most of them get plenty on the legal stuff) knows to back off or they are flirting with a potential lawsuit. I've had them nearly run from the room when I gave them a level look and spoke the magic words calmly and very clearly. :glare: It puts them on notice that you know your rights and will not be bullied.

Does anyone else get tired of the "YOU must get this vax and that vax or MY kids are in danger"? Yeah, I get the herd immunity thing and I get the compromised immune system of some folks but I sure get tired of being challenged that I need to inject MY kids with all sorts of stuff to keep YOUR kids safe...

We had flu vaccines all through my eldest's life. To protect our herd. Though her father always refused. He doesn't like injections. :glare:

Interestingly she had Swine Flu twice, in spite of two vaccinations. The second bout cost her a fair bit.

My youngest had Whooping Cough that same year. Also vaccinated and not a baby, so thankfully a lighter case.

We haven't had them (flu vaccinations) last two seasons, but may again in the future.

My otherwise healthy young BIL was flown into hospital due to Flu a several years ago.

By the way, this strain did kill 'otherwise healthy people' as well as 'the compromised' here in Aust too last year.

What do you think they might sneak in there?

Bromide. :laugh:

"Rumours that the British Army put the 19th century anticonvulsant and sedative potassium bromide in soldiers' tea during World War II to damp soldiers' lust appears to be an urban myth. Given the long half-life of the drug in the body, a mildly sedated army would be unlikely to be an effective fighting force. A similar belief appears to exist in the United States about saltpeter in army coffee[1] or in Russia about potassium bromide in army food."

http://en.wikipedia....i/Anaphrodisiac

Bromide. :laugh:

"Rumours that the British Army put the 19th century anticonvulsant and sedative potassium bromide in soldiers' tea during World War II to damp soldiers' lust appears to be an urban myth. Given the long half-life of the drug in the body, a mildly sedated army would be unlikely to be an effective fighting force. A similar belief appears to exist in the United States about saltpeter in army coffee[1] or in Russia about potassium bromide in army food."

http://en.wikipedia....i/Anaphrodisiac

That's ridiculous. It's Potassium Nitrite that they're sneaking on us. 😷

I also don't like the flu shot and I am more nervous about the huge push to get vaccinated than I am about the flu virus. Our doctor has never pushed the flu vaccine on us, simply asked if we wanted it and went onto something else when I said "no thanks." This year I was pressured too. Both the nurse and the doctor made me feel guilty for not vaccinating my kids and me against the flu, saying I was putting others at risk too. I weigh the pros and cons carefully with vaccines, because (and I admit I'm a little paranoid when it comes to stuff like this) I don't 100% trust our government to not "sneak" something else in there and I don't 100% trust the manufacturer to not use poisonous ingredients. None of us are in a high risk group (no babies, no asthma, no extreme exposure, etc).

Personally, I think it's mostly media hype, like everything else. I do know it's a rougher year than last year, simply because I know more people who have had the flu this year. But, I'm not overly worried about it. We did increase our immunity vitamins. :)

It isn't the govt you have to worry about. Big pharma makes money off sick people or vax against sickness. It won't be too long before someone thinks to put a time released bacteria that can only be cured by their specific medicine.

*taking off the tinfoil hat now*

Does anyone else get tired of the "YOU must get this vax and that vax or MY kids are in danger"? Yeah, I get the herd immunity thing and I get the compromised immune system of some folks but I sure get tired of being challenged that I need to inject MY kids with all sorts of stuff to keep YOUR kids safe... Yeah, I put my kids at risk of some things, but I've weighed the fact that my kids are allergic to a great number of the vaxes. My oldest could possibly die from another tetanus shot.

Then I would say that one reason I vaccinate *my* kids is to help keep yours safe, because like you I understand about herd immunity and I realize that not everyone can be vaxxed. :)

it's scary how bad the flu has been in the US this year. When I got sick in Dec it was fast and I was truly scared for my life when I developed shortness of breath. Nebulizer didn't help a bit! I literally couldn't talk or I coughed so bad I was gasping for air. I couldn't breathe deep in or out or the cough left me gasping for air! It was so scary. And all they could do was say, go rest. You can't rest when you have to think about controlling your breathing!

I wouldn't wish this sickness on anyone. I can't ever remember going downhill so fast. Would a vaccine have helped? I don't know. It was fall here when it all started....so a vaccine wasn't on my radar then anyway.

hope it's not as bad as it sounds

it's scary how bad the flu has been in the US this year. When I got sick in Dec it was fast and I was truly scared for my life when I developed shortness of breath. Nebulizer didn't help a bit! I literally couldn't talk or I coughed so bad I was gasping for air. I couldn't breathe deep in or out or the cough left me gasping for air! It was so scary. And all they could do was say, go rest. You can't rest when you have to think about controlling your breathing!

I wouldn't wish this sickness on anyone. I can't ever remember going downhill so fast. Would a vaccine have helped? I don't know. It was fall here when it all started....so a vaccine wasn't on my radar then anyway.

hope it's not as bad as it sounds

Me too...had the same thing except prednisone helped me after a few days.

I have seen a lot of initial assumptions and posts by friends that they have the flu, a lot. Only to find out a few days later that it was just a cold, pnemonia, brochotics, or they meant stomach virus. I think a lot of people have just assumed flu and not been specific to what they really have. Out of 10 people saying they have flu, maybe 2 really did have it.

I have seen a lot of initial assumptions and posts by friends that they have the flu, a lot. Only to find out a few days later that it was just a cold, pnemonia, brochotics, or they meant stomach virus. I think a lot of people have just assumed flu and not been specific to what they really have. Out of 10 people saying they have flu, maybe 2 really did have it.

I've noticed it to - I only said we had it once I was tested (nasal swab) and it came back positive for Influenza A. Once I was diagnosed (I was the 3rd person to come down with it out of 7) I realized we all had it (all within 4-5 days).