Menu

If your child has allergies (not food)...

LAmom

What medication do you use? I have a son that in winter gets itchy eyes, sneezes a lot, kind of puffy face, etc. I do have some prescribed eye drops that help only a little. I don't prefer Benadryl unless you think it is the safest, least side effects, etc.

generic zyrtec or claritan. They don't cause drowsiness like benadryl, an they are longer acting. I think one is 12 hour and one is 24. I, personally have been taking allergy medicine for 25 years, almost daily. I am allergic to EVERYTHING they tested me for (runny nose, runny, swollen eyes--not foods). I take benadryl on top of the allergy medicine if I'm having a REALLY bad day.

Guest inoubliable

Claritin. DS12 has been taking that daily for years. We found that the Kirkland brand (I think that's Costco's brand? We found it on Amazon, though) for $10 for an entire year's worth.

My son does OTC generic/store brand of Zyrtec and prescription Singulair. He had a Flonase prescription that I keep thinking we should probably use in his peak outdoor allergy season. He has a rescue inhaler too. His asthma is connected to allergies. We puff before going outside in the bad allergy season/high pollen count days.

I really think some people do better on certain antihistamines. Claritin didn't do nearly what Zyrtec does for him and yet I think it's the opposite for some people. I'd start with one of the OTC antihistamines and see if it's enough.

Zyrtec and Flonase (although I try to only use the Flonase when it is really bad because I have heard long term use can cause several different eye diseases), my sons allergies are REALLY bad. When he was in PS he would miss days because they sent him home it was that miserable. He saw an allergist. He was going to get his own serum to be injected monthly but since we were moving we chose not to do that. He ended up taking Zyrtec, Flonase, benadryl for flare ups, and he has an inhaler, JUST IN CASE.

Fluticasone nasal spray in the winter to keep stuffiness down for my almost 8yo. In the spring and fall, when pollen counts are high, he and I both take Zyrtec (generic if we can get it), and it makes a HUGE difference. Sometimes I still need Benadryl at night, but not usually, if I take Zyrtec in the morning. We both take the pill form; he originally got the liquid, but his allergist okayed half a tablet (which took him some practice to learn to swallow, but he's proud that he did), because it's a lot less expensive than the liquid.

I know not everyone responds well to Zyrtec, but it works well for my son. I originally tried it (over others) because it seemed to be the safest while breastfeeding, and it works well for me too.

Ds1 uses Nasonex daily and generic claritin as needed. Ds2 seems to get by on claritin but also has a prescription for Singulair if it's a particularly bad pollen season. I also get by on claritin; I'm better if I add singulair. Generic zyrtec and allegra clear us up better than claritin but also make us too drowsy to function. I know each of these three work differently for everyone so it may take some trial and error.

I have very bad allergies and take Singulair and Benedryl. My son has allergies as well and his pediatrician has told us we could try Claritin if we felt it was bad enough. We haven't so far because his sensory issues make it very difficult to give him any kind of medicine and, other than some stuffiness, it doesn't seem to bother him any.

Be careful the first time you give Benedryl to a kid. I LOVE Benedryl. It works wonderfully for me, if I take half a dose it doesn't make me overly drowsy, it's been around forever and is considered very safe. BUT, the first (and only) time I gave it to my youngest she was bouncing off the walls hyper and completely miserable, all...night...long.

Be careful the first time you give Benedryl to a kid. I LOVE Benedryl. It works wonderfully for me, if I take half a dose it doesn't make me overly drowsy, it's been around forever and is considered very safe. BUT, the first (and only) time I gave it to my youngest she was bouncing off the walls hyper and completely miserable, all...night...long.

Actually Benadryl affects me that way. It doesn't affect either of my kids or husband like that. I think it's just some people, young or old.

There are have been studies showing benadryl decreases REM sleep if I recall correctly. I know it negatively affected sleep quality in some way. I do and will use benadryl as needed but as a regular allergy medication, especially at night, I would avoid if I could.

My son has severe pollen allergies. During the spring allergy season, we have HEPA filters running in his bedroom and downstairs. He also takes Allegra and uses a generic Rx Flo-nase nasal spray. It's what the allergist recommended and does help, but he still has symptoms even with these.