Menu

s/o More talk about Read Alouds ... list your favorites

aggieamy

I love all discussion of books so I love that we have a read aloud thread and a Book-a-Week thread going. I *love* my WTM friends. Is there anyone else who is up for more discussion on read alouds? I think we should all share which read alouds we've done that have been undeniable hits. The books where the kids were begging you to keep reading even though it was 11 o'clock at night and you were starting to feel hoarse.

We've had four of those:

The Witch of Blackbird Pond - Such a fantastic story of a girl sticking to her idea of right and wrong and doing what was hard to do. Niether DD nor I knew what was going to happen next and couldn't wait to see how it would end.

Carry On, Mr Bowditch - This is about a young man that comes up with a new way of doing nautical navigation. A topic neither DD nor I were in the least bit interested in. And there were lots of people dying. Even with all that we spent three hours on the couch finishing it one evening. DD goes around quoting this book. Now that's a good book!

The Wheel on the School - I was ready to give up on this about halfway through. It was so slow to get started but then all the stories started to tie together and we couldn't put it down.

Understood Betsy - I finished this one with happy tears streaming down my face. That's how good the ending was. DD is now listening to it on audiobook, got to the end and promptly asked to listen to it again.

i found Where the Mountain Meets the Moon on a list like this on this site last year - a newer book, but really lovely.

Wonderful book.

I was excited to see this at the bookstore the other day: Starry River of the Sky. I'd completely missed its release last October.