Menu

Exercise thread 1/13-1/19

Mom-ninja.

Welcome to another week of fitness. All are welcome. Feel free to post any and everything you do during your day to fit activity and motion into your routine.

I was reading "Oxygen" magazine and saw a list of motivational tips. I thought it would be fun to post some.

#1 Start Strong - Plan your favorite exercise for the beginning of your workout. This will motivate you to actually get up and get started which can be hardest part of exercising. :) Using your favorite music is great too. Turn on your tunes and let the music psych you up. (Psst, you don't have to tell anyone what your music choice is cause if your like me you'll find yourself browsing the 80's greatest hits :cool: )

This morning I did JM Boost Metabolism Banish Fat workout. What a great workout. I love it. Then I did 15 min of relaxation yoga because after that workout I needed it.

I took yesterday off after exercising every day last week :)

This morning I did 30 Day Shred again. All those plank moves in Level 2 are too much for my shoulder, so today I combined moves from Level 1 and 2. I'll probably continue to do so. Are there many plank poses/moves in Level 3?

I'm starting to look for my next workout after I get through 30 DS. Should I stick with Jillian? I really enjoy the strength and ab work but I do not like "jumpy" cardio. I'd much rather get my cardio from the elliptical and treadmill. Right now I can only hold 2.5 lb weights as I rebuild shoulder strength after a year of a frozen shoulder.

Any suggestions?

This morning I did 30 Day Shred again. All those plank moves in Level 2 are too much for my shoulder, so today I combined moves from Level 1 and 2. I'll probably continue to do so. Are there many plank poses/moves in Level 3?

I'm starting to look for my next workout after I get through 30 DS. Should I stick with Jillian? I really enjoy the strength and ab work but I do not like "jumpy" cardio. I'd much rather get my cardio from the elliptical and treadmill. Right now I can only hold 2.5 lb weights as I rebuild shoulder strength after a year of a frozen shoulder.

Any suggestions?

I like JM's Banish the Fat. Easy to modify for knee issues and the shoulder issues. No weights, it's all about using your own body weight to work out. After doing the 30 Day Shred for about 6 months I really started to have shoulder issues. I like Banish better.

All those plank moves in Level 2 are too much for my shoulder, so today I combined moves from Level 1 and 2. I'll probably continue to do so. Are there many plank poses/moves in Level 3? I'm starting to look for my next workout after I get through 30 DS. Should I stick with Jillian? I really enjoy the strength and ab work but I do not like "jumpy" cardio. I'd much rather get my cardio from the elliptical and treadmill. Right now I can only hold 2.5 lb weights as I rebuild shoulder strength after a year of a frozen shoulder. Any suggestions?

Banish combines a lot of the moves from all levels of 30 day Shred minus weights. She does do some plank work in Banish. I have weak shoulders (and one that gives me pain) but I've built up a lot of strength in them from planks. I also didn't like jumpy cardio but I'm into it now. After reading how pylo work is really great for your bone strength I decided to do it more. A great way to do jumpy cardio that is easy on your joints is to use a rebounder. I love mine.

Sunday: Off - it was my 49th birthday! :) I would have been off anyway. Monday: Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones

Happy Birthday! :party:

Any suggestions?

I really like Jillian's No More Trouble Zones. There are a few plank moves, but not too many. One thing I really like about NMTZ is that she goes through each circuit twice. However, except for the last circuit (which you have to do twice 'cause you do one leg and then the other), you can only do each circuit one time through. That's how I started after the 30 Day Shred. I now do the whole thing (all circuits twice), but I had to build up my stamina to do that. So, initially, I did each circuit just one time through and the last circuit (there are 7) twice. That takes about 30 minutes. When I got comfortable with that, then I would add the second time through, one circuit at a time. I hope this is making sense. Eventually, I built up to being able to do all circuits through both time. There is no jumpy in NMTZ at all. I hate jumpy!! She uses 3-lb weights. Now, however, I use mostly 8-pounders for this workout except one move where I use 5s and one move where I use 10s. Increasing the weights was another way I was able to ramp up what I was doing.

I do NMTZ once a week. I think it is a great follow-up to the 30-Day Shred if you work your way into it as I did. Especially if you like to get your cardio work in in a different manner.

Sunday - Yin Yoga Wow that class was crowded, it is definitely January! I think there were over 30 people in the room, there werent' enough props or yoga mats. It is definitely a reminder to get to class early enough to get in.

Monday - RPM (Les Mills Spin) followed by Yin Yoga.

For Christmas I received a personal training package and I bought a second personal training deal at the other facility we go to. I know I need to start scheduling but I am nervous because I know it is going to be very hard. I do not look forward to the soreness I anticipate. I know I just need to focus on the positive aspects of PT but I am having a hard time. Perhaps it is the bitter cold.

Ok, I am back and hoping to be more accountable. My exercise is often tied to Dh's interest. After doing weights in the fall and liking it, being sick led to no activity for a month and now he's back into it. But now we are doing kettlebells. We both have them now and he has a 'plan'. However he really wasn't good at the moves last night so now I am reading up on proper form. Apparently it burns 20 cal per minute and he said on the treadmill running it wasn't that much.

I got through half his plan last night and was breathing heavy so perhaps it will be just as fun as the weights.

I started WW 2 weeks ago and hope the exercise will help tone as I lose weight. I turned 40, gotta get serious about this!!

Is it sad I dream about doing races? I can't run. But I dream about running....

JM yoga this morning. Nice and easy. I can't waitfor my new yoga dvd to get here although I see the price went down from two days when I ordered it. :glare: Darn it.

Is that Jillian's Yoga Meltdown or is there another one?

Just finished 30 DS level 2 (subbing for 2 plank exercises). I am feeling nice and strong :)

Sunday-Endured twenty minutes on the treadmill.

Monday-Day off. Went and got my flu shot and felt like crud the rest of the day.

Tuesday-Had an awesome nights sleep, got up, made great strides in school with the boys. Then it started snowing!

Called school, tumbled into my running stuff and ran four miles in the most lovely snow shower, the snow so light underfoot and my Corinthian bells on the front porch chiming the miles. Awesomeness amplified. Four mile run just doesn't seem to do it justice.

Three or four miles--I sort of got off the beaten track today and that made it hard to keep track of distance. I ran for around 50 minutes.

Good solid run and the foot feels good. Tomorrow will tell the tale as to whether I can train for my half-marathon in April or whether I will need to do something different. If I'm too sore to run my four miles tomorrow I will bike, and it I end up having to take a full day off between runs I'll probably end up doing a few 10K's this year and doing a lot more bike rides. Can't say the second option doesn't have some appeal.

Yesterday I did Shock Plyo II with my dd. I was too lazy to do anything else. This morning my dd and I did Kickstart 30 and I followed up with Power HIIT. These are all part of LMC.

BTW the way, SJ, here is a very brief clip of one of the HIIT workouts of LMC.

Dan the Man

That looks hard! I wish they would add stuff like that into the classes, but I'm a glutton for punishment like that. :tongue_smilie:

So, I've had a depressing funk day. I'm frustrated. I *should* love and accept the body I have. For the most part I do. However, I always strive for better. I like to have a goal. My goal is to be really toned and cut. I'm thinking that I may never be. Do these people with the bodies I want have some sort of "cut" gene that I don't? Am I past the "cut" age? I'm turning 37 in a few weeks.

I have been working out for years. Years. Every dvd says, "Do this workout 4-6x a week and you will see results." Really? Cause I don't see any change with the exception of my arms. Maybe I should take pictures. However, my dh says there's no change at least not much.

I don't have weight to lose. I've been trying to gain in muscle and I don't seem to be doing that either. I'm stronger but I don't see the muscle. I want to see the muscles! I want to see the muscle definition in my abs. I don't. I've gotten my diastasis recti down to one finger which is suppposed to be in normal range. So that's shouldn't be the issue. I have wrinkly, saggy skin on my lower belly from pgs. It's normal when I'm standing but when I bend over or do plank the skin hangs down in wrinkly folds. Blech. Why, why, why do all these other women I see in videos, who have also had babies, not have this loose skin? How did they get rid of it? I'm starting to feel like the only woman who works her butt off and yet doesn't see results like the women in the videos.

I was looking at Lindsay Birn's site (and I so want her new DVD series) and just feeling frustrated. She posted her workout schedule and I actually work out more than she does. Yet, my body does not look like hers. What gives? Where the dickens are my defined muscles?!

Whew. I needed to get that out. I've been mopey all day. Dh is no help. He just shrugs when I vent. A part of me wishes he'd just tell me I do look firmer. He's not one for compliments though. It's a rare day when I get a compliment from him.

Wow, how's that for a vent?

So, I've had a depressing funk day. I'm frustrated. I *should* love and accept the body I have.

I have been working out for years. Years. Every dvd says, "Do this workout 4-6x a week and you will see results." Really?

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I hear you. Oh boy, do I. Only difference is that I have lots of weight to lose and I will forever struggle with that. I was going to hit "Like" on your post, but didn't think that it would make much sense. Just know that you're not the only one feeling frustrated.

I'm about to do Leslie's 5K with a Twist.

154248355958448190_B3i68HJI_c.jpg

So, I've had a depressing funk day. I'm frustrated. I *should* love and accept the body I have. For the most part I do. However, I always strive for better. I like to have a goal. My goal is to be really toned and cut. I'm thinking that I may never be. Do these people with the bodies I want have some sort of "cut" gene that I don't? Am I past the "cut" age? I'm turning 37 in a few weeks.

I have been working out for years. Years. Every dvd says, "Do this workout 4-6x a week and you will see results." Really? Cause I don't see any change with the exception of my arms. Maybe I should take pictures. However, my dh says there's no change at least not much.

I don't have weight to lose. I've been trying to gain in muscle and I don't seem to be doing that either. I'm stronger but I don't see the muscle. I want to see the muscles! I want to see the muscle definition in my abs. I don't. I've gotten my diastasis recti down to one finger which is suppposed to be in normal range. So that's shouldn't be the issue. I have wrinkly, saggy skin on my lower belly from pgs. It's normal when I'm standing but when I bend over or do plank the skin hangs down in wrinkly folds. Blech. Why, why, why do all these other women I see in videos, who have also had babies, not have this loose skin? How did they get rid of it? I'm starting to feel like the only woman who works her butt off and yet doesn't see results like the women in the videos.

I was looking at Lindsay Birn's site (and I so want her new DVD series) and just feeling frustrated. She posted her workout schedule and I actually work out more than she does. Yet, my body does not look like hers. What gives? Where the dickens are my defined muscles?!

Whew. I needed to get that out. I've been mopey all day. Dh is no help. He just shrugs when I vent. A part of me wishes he'd just tell me I do look firmer. He's not one for compliments though. It's a rare day when I get a compliment from him.

I hear you. My response is going to be short because I am off to workout. One, we aren't supposed to be perfect. Two, supplements. I know you don't want to use them but supplements (and genetics) is probably the last piece to the puzzle.

Did an Extreme Fit workout I found on the youtube channel BeFit. Anyone use that channel? It's great. So many many choices.

Almost too many choices :lol: I spent some time the other day looking at the selections.

Today: level 2 of 30 DS, again :) I will attempt level 3 on Monday!

I hear you. My response is going to be short because I am off to workout. One, we aren't supposed to be perfect. Two, supplements. I know you don't want to use them but supplements (and genetics) is probably the last piece to the puzzle.

I'm beginning to think genetics as well. For example JM's abs are flat but not six pack defined like some other women. My abs look more like JM's abs and I long for a defined 6 pack. I'm thinking it's not possible for me.

On the note of supplements.....I was sarcastically saying to dh that I bet these super cut women use doping. Doping being on my mind due to Armstrong right now.

So do supplements make that big of a difference? I already use a whey protein every other day. I only use half a scoop though because I figure since I'm half the size of the average person I shouldn't take an average person serving. I take a prenatal vitamin (switching to regular ones now that I don't nurse as much), vit D3 3000 (as per my Dr.), and probiotics. What do these super toned people take?

Almost too many choices :lol: I spent some time the other day looking at the selections. Today: level 2 of 30 DS, again :) I will attempt level 3 on Monday!

I love level 3. I like it better than level 2.

I'm beginning to think genetics as well. For example JM's abs are flat but not six pack defined like some other women. My abs look more like JM's abs and I long for a defined 6 pack. I'm thinking it's not possible for me.

On the note of supplements.....I was sarcastically saying to dh that I bet these super cut women use doping. Doping being on my mind due to Armstrong right now.

So do supplements make that big of a difference? I already use a whey protein every other day. I only use half a scoop though because I figure since I'm half the size of the average person I shouldn't take an average person serving. I take a prenatal vitamin (switching to regular ones now that I don't nurse as much), vit D3 3000 (as per my Dr.), and probiotics. What do these super toned people take?

I love level 3. I like it better than level 2.

I am guessing at the minimum creatine (muscle building) and fat burners (muscle definition). Also, they probably do not look like that every single day. They may have gotten there temporarily (end of a grueling program, super lean shred diet, prepping for a photo shoot, etc.) but have gained a little to a more comfortable, sustainable physique.

By the way, here is a quick, easy to read and understand book e-book (super cheap) on supplements.

In other news, I did Power Kata 45 with my daughter this morning. It was very challenging because I was super tired. Yesterday I did Kickstart 30 with dd, Power HIIT (for myself), and the wrestling class with my son. The worst part was the wrestling warm-up - soccer! I hadn't played soccer in nearly 30 years.

LG, do your kids want to exercise with you or do you encourage it in some way. My 12 yr old has no desire to do anything outside his 2x week karate.

My 8 yr old does. I'm going to get him Tony and the Kids DVD for his birthday coming up. He'd also like a yoga dvd. Any suggestions for that age?

LG, do your kids want to exercise with you or do you encourage it in some way. My 12 yr old has no desire to do anything outside his 2x week karate.

My 8 yr old does. I'm going to get him Tony and the Kids DVD for his birthday coming up. He'd also like a yoga dvd. Any suggestions for that age?

ARgghhh... I had a detailed answer for you and lost it!

Starting again (sigh)

I just posted something about this on my FB personal and BB pages. One, my dd hates exercise but I make her do it. I do not need to do Les Mills Combat but I do it with my dd (10) for her sake. I have cute picture of her on my page. Anyway, I let her wear some of my clothes which seems to sweeten the deal for her a little. Two, my boys take BJJ twice a week and karate once a week. I find that is enough for them. I sometimes take karate with them so that I can sneak in my training, too. Also, I recently started wrestling class once a week with my son. It is really for him to help his BJJ but I take it so that I can get my exercise in as well. When we go to class, I tell him to act like I am not even there. He does his thing, I do mine even though we are in the same class. I had been suggesting wrestling to him for quite awhile but he was resistant to the idea (probably because it was mine). When he kept getting owned in BJJ sparring by kids who had wrestling experience, he relented and is now enjoying the class. Perhaps the way to interest your 12yo in more exercise is to find something that will help him get better at something he already does.

Tony and the Kids is a little childish for an 8 yo, IMHO. My dd liked it because it was easy for her. My 6yo loved it because he is 6. I don't know of any kid yoga dvds but I do like Cameron Shayne's Budokan martial arts yoga. I am not into "life affirming" mumbo jumbo but I still like the video.

This brings me back to LMC. Maybe your two boys would like doing that program. It's not hard to follow, it's not girly nor dancey. Or maybe you guys could go on a family jog once a week.

Wednesday: Craptastic day part 1 - about 10 minutes of general stretching, yogaish style

Thursday: Craptastic day part 2 - 30 minutes of playing classical music to ease some anxiety. I did what could be call "interpretative dance" with it. Sretching, ballet moves, yogaish type stuff.

I also realized this week that my low resistance to crappy food comes when I am anxious. Working on recognizing the symptoms and redirecting the angst.

Tony and the Kids is a little childish for an 8 yo, IMHO. My dd liked it because it was easy for her. My 6yo loved it because he is 6. I don't know of any kid yoga dvds but I do like Cameron Shayne's Budokan martial arts yoga. I am not into "life affirming" mumbo jumbo but I still like the video.

That DVD looks interesting. Would be a good one to add to my rotation, thanks!

Tonight I did a kicka$$ bootcamp class with a new instructor. I anticipate being sore tomorrow. We started with 100 push ups (10 sets of 10) and ended with a 5 minute plank, with circuits thrown in the middle. I am proud to say I lasted the entire 5 minutes! My arms were shaking the entire time but I knew I could do it and I refused to give up.

Kleine Hexe, I have some thoughts on your previous posts but don't have the time to type them up right now.