Menu

Boo, that sucks...

fraidycat

I uninstalled Java in my control panel and disabled the plug in on Firefox but still allow javascript and am having no issues. Not sure if Java script is the same as what we are supposed to get rid of..

Yeah, I didn't know for sure, so to be on the safe side I disabled Javascript, too.

I can only find articles mentioning Java problems with Macs. Is Windows affected, too?

Yup.

US Department of Homeland Security advises disabling Java following fresh zero-day vulnerability

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/12/3867332/department-of-homeland-security-disable-java

I have a semi new laptop and just saw this. Unless I'm missing something I don't even have Java installed. I searched and it brought up nothing. I still have all the features on here that you say you're now missing, though. Is there something else I need to look for to make sure I don't have Java? :confused1: I'm the least techie person ever.

ETA: I looked up some things and ended up going to the Java site. It says I have no working Java on this computer. So, I don't have it but I do still have all the features. Confused.

I have a semi new laptop and just saw this. Unless I'm missing something I don't even have Java installed. I searched and it brought up nothing. I still have all the features on here that you say you're now missing, though. Is there something else I need to look for to make sure I don't have Java? :confused1: I'm the least techie person ever.

Try this site:

http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

Apparently a large portion of this forums' nifty high-tech features, such as hover preview, notification drop down and emoticons are all Java based.

I turned off Java because the news told me too. :p

Now, I'm kickin' it old-school here.

I just disabled the JAVA Platform Standard Ed. browser plug-in for Firefox, and hover preview still works for me. What all did you disable?

It looks like it's only the latest- version 10 or higher- that needs disabling. Good thing I constantly ignore half the "update your software" reminders on my mac. Drives my husband batty. For once, it's actually safer!

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2013/0112/Disable-Java-Here-s-how-after-US-agency-warns-of-software-vulnerability.

I just disabled the JAVA Platform Standard Ed. browser plug-in for Firefox, and hover preview still works for me. What all did you disable?

I had disabled Javascript, too. I've turned it back on now, because I checked to see if that was also affected and from what I can find, it is not. Now I've got all my features back.

It looks like it's only the latest- version 10 or higher- that needs disabling. Good thing I constantly ignore half the "update your software" reminders on my mac. Drives my husband batty. For once, it's actually safer!

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2013/0112/Disable-Java-Here-s-how-after-US-agency-warns-of-software-vulnerability.

As I understand it any Java 7 is vulnerable. Right now the recommendation is to go back to version 6 update 38 if you need to run java, which I do. I only run programs in java on IE, and use firefox for all my routine browsing. Are there any more suggestions?