Menu

Well Planned Day Software, Skedtrack, or Some Other Planner?

I am trying to decide what planning software I want to use for this next year. I have HST+ already, it can be cumbersome, but doable. Just wondering if I am missing anything with the new Well Planned Day software. Have all the problems been worked out or is it even useful at this point?

I have also been trying out Skedtrack and it seems pretty simple, although I wish it had a few more functions. I cannot figure out what the resources tab is for, can someone explain that. If you put a book in that tab does it link to anything else or can you schedule it?

I only have one student's lessons to enter, so I don't need a lot of functions in a planner. I mainly want to be able to see a monthly calendar with assignments that are easy to automatically schedule, move around assignments if needed, print reports so I have an assignment sheet for my child, and possibly put in literature we are reading and assign chapters on certain days.

I can't seem to figure out Scholaric or Skedtrack but HST+ was no problem for me. I also tried HST Online. My two favorites are HST+ and Simply Charlotte Mason's Online Organizer. My understanding is that the Well Planned Day still has a LOT of kinks in it but YMMV.

Good luck,

I ordered Well Planned Day a few weeks ago, and had some issues. They were very nice to refund my money and I'd like to try it when they work out the bugs. I think it has a lot of potential. I use their paper planners and love them. For now I'm using HST+. But yes, Well Planned Day had issues for me a few weeks ago.

Laura

Thanks for all the info. So far I have tried Skedtrack and it seems pretty simple, just wish it had a few more options.

Scholaric I briefly tried last night but it may be a little bare bones for me, also could not figure out how to add more than one workbook. I was trying to add separate workbooks for prealgebra, but whenever I tried to put in more than one item for prealgebra it would not show up. I am probably just doing something wrong. I need to work with it a little more to see how it works.

I have been trying the Simply Charlotte Mason organizer and I love it for the fact that it has books that you can look up and assign and it seems pretty simple to use, but I really want something that has a calendar function where you can see a month at a time. I don't think it has that option, not sure if it ever will and it is pricey at $99 a year! I just wish it did that one function, then I would be fine with it.

I reloaded HST+ on my computer last night (have a new computer so had to reinstall it) and started playing around with it. It has been a good 6 months since I have used it last. It is so difficult to use. I can somewhat get used to its nuances, but it starts to drive me crazy after a while. It is like buying a spaceship to drive to work instead of a car. Yeah it has a lot of features, but in the mean time I won't know what half or more of its functions are. Really, in a software planner, I just need a really nice car.

On to Well Planned Day planner, well I decided last night just to try it out. They have a discount right now that brings it down to $40, but really after logging in I cannot help but think it should be free! Already when I was setting up our school year, I got some kind of error and was basically kicked out. Looked like some kind of programming problem. Also, it looked like there was no option for setting up a 2013 schoolyear, but I need to look at it again to verify. Are they all taken naps over there or did they take all of our money and take a nice vacation on an island somewhere? I think they spent more time making the website look pretty for the marketing of the planner than they did the actual product. That is really bad customer service. We have all seen marketing pictures that make things better than they seem, but this one takes the cake. So, at this point I don't even know what the functions are of the well planned day planner or maybe it should be called the worst unplanned day in the history of planners. I will probably be asking for a refund.

So, now I have to decide between Simply Charlotte Mason, Skedtrac, and Scholaric, unless of course I suddenly become a genius and figure out how to properly use HST+!!!!!

Just another update. I tried out Scholaric to see what I was doing wrong and finally figured out I was entering the information backwards for the course information. I have that all figured out, however, I wish there was a way to plan assignments without having to flip through the calendar function. I like the way in Skedtrack you can just type things in a list and then it automatically schedules and puts everything on the calendar.

I briefly logged onto Well Planned Day again, but to me it seems nonintuitive. It is just too confusing and I cannot even imagine using it with more than one child. I think it is trying to be everything, but missing the mark on some basic things and they should really simplify things. I hate when it takes me forever to figure out how to do a simple thing like add a course, plan a lesson, etc.

I think for one week I am going to use Simply Charlotte Mason, Skedtrac, and Scholaric and see how they function in my day to day operations.

I ordered Well Planned Day a few weeks ago, and had some issues. They were very nice to refund my money and I'd like to try it when they work out the bugs. I think it has a lot of potential. I use their paper planners and love them. For now I'm using HST+. But yes, Well Planned Day had issues for me a few weeks ago.

Laura

Did they refund all your money? When they rolled out their product it was a disaster and lots of people asked for a refund. The company kept 5$ as a 'restocking fee'. That seemed extra peevish to me. I mean, how does one restock a digital product?

That made me extra unimpressed with their company.

Did they refund all your money? When they rolled out their product it was a disaster and lots of people asked for a refund. The company kept 5$ as a 'restocking fee'. That seemed extra peevish to me. I mean, how does one restock a digital product?

They did refund all my money, yes. But they do still claim a $5 restocking fee on their website. I think mine was refunded in full because for a week I never even got my email confirmation. When my email confirmation never came, I finally told them to cancel my order. And then my email confirmation came through. So, I logged in to try it, but never could setup our school. I just kept getting an error message on the very first setup page. So, I emailed them that I still wanted a refund and they gave me a full refund. I might have been an unusual case because I never even got to the setup.

I agree, how do you restock an online purchase? A good product would offer a full money back guarantee. I do still have hopes for them though!

Laura

I think for one week I am going to use Simply Charlotte Mason, Skedtrac, and Scholaric and see how they function in my day to day operations.

This is what I did. I picked HST+, HST Online and Simply Charlotte Mason and I entered the exact same thing in each one for a few weeks so I could see which I liked best. It ended up being HST+ but it tied with SCM. Now I'm kind of missing SCM. I adore how it just bumps something not done to the next day - no work on my part to try to reschedule everything. Plus it's, well... simple. :) I wish it had the calendar feature too though.

Good luck,

I want a digital system so badly, but I never see one that look as easy as my pencil and paper. It's really disappointing. I want to give my $$ to someone!

I spent 15$ total at Staples for two basic teacher planning books, one for each kid. They are big books and meant to manage an entire classroom. There is plenty of room for each subject and it hasn't been a difficult job to erase or just make an arrow moving something up a day or two. It might help that I only plan 6-8 weeks at a time, then take stock and plan again. It isn't such a big deal to take a week to play catch up with anything that has fallen behind then move onto the next 6-8 weeks.

I really would like a digital system, but it don't seem meant to be.

I like HST Online. I know many who come from HST+ don't like Online because it doesn't have as many features and the speed is slower because it is online vs your desktop. I tried HST+ briefly a while back and didn't get very far with it - found it confusing to setup. I started HST Online this year and I found it to be easy to setup. Lesson plans are time consuming if you do them on the front end, but not difficult.

I too use HST+. I like it, it is easy...ish to use :) However I find myself liking paper and pencil too. I like writing it down myself! So I like to use HST+ for the planning and then write things down to do!

Now if I could just get the physical items as organized as my lessons.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sundrop474

I purchased My Well Planned Day software summer of 2012 during the BETA phase. I have found the software virtually unusable. You can't customize school years. You can't see your grades in a report format. The only report feature that is working is the "assignments" feature, and even it is questionable. When printing that report, you just need to cross your fingers as to how it is going to print on a page or how many pages your day's worth of assignments is going to use. Most recently there were complaints (in addition to the "known" glitches, which are many) about doubling of assignments, assignments moving forward years (yes, years) when trying to reschedule. Only certain events can be made recurring. There is no sync with other calendars (Google and iCal were promised syncs after "launch"). There is still no mobile app only a mobile version that won't allow you to see any detailed assignment information. There are no multiple logins for the mobile version, at my last check. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture. It is a disaster. I am appalled that they continue to even sell subscriptions.

They indicated in December that they had hired new programmers because they were frustrated with all the "glitches". However, no real time table for improvements was given other than Spring 2013. Keep in mind that some subscribers have been trying to work with this software since Summer of 2012 and subscriptions are slated to expire Summer of 2013. There have been many requests for refunds or free extensions of subscriptions for the 2013-2014 school year as compensation, but I haven't seen any indication for HEDUA (the makers of MWPD) that they intend to offer either of these things.

Customer service in the beginning was excellent. Quick replies to issues. Lots of communication as to work in progress on their Facebook page. They have since banned users from their page, deleted comments that were negative regarding the product (I did not read any ugly or rude comments. Considering the money and time wasted, I thought the comments showed a great deal of restraint.), and, most recently, have disabled the feature to comment on their page entirely.

In all transparency, I will say the HEDUA did refund my subscription fee less the "restocking fee" but only after I contacted my credit card company to file a dispute of charges and filed complaints with both the Federal Trade Commission and the BBB for Nashville TN. When I requested a refund in September (a month after the full launch was supposed to happen), they denied my refund request. Even after I indicated many of the features that were still not working as promised.

I would urge anyone who is considering this software to beware! I believe, from their actions on their FB page, the company is intentionally trying to silence any negative (yet true) publicity.

I use HST+. I did NOT find it easy to use at first. I did work through the videos and they've been great. I feel very comfortable with the program now and I'm excited about using it. I gave myself a semester to learn it and I'm glad I did! I also recently joined the yahoo groups where people put lesson plans to share - so a lot of my plans I don't even have to do myself! Score!

I'm using the kids' calendars on their iPads. I manage them from the computer and just add in the lessons from my computer. I schedule repeating events for things that have a definite time in our calendar, and then I use the "note" function within the event to write my instructions for each day. I can also attach files (I attached a chart I wanted ds to fill out for TOG yesterday). I can have websites or even videos attached to the event so everything ds needs for his work that day is right within the calendar.

For things that don't have a definite time slot, I just schedule them to be all day events beginning on one day and ending whenever I want them due. Then I fill out the notes, add the files, and put it in ds' calendar. I can set it up with audible reminders to pop up on their iPads.

I'm using this function with my co-op TOG class as well, except that everything gets sent to them as a meeting request and then when they accept it goes into their own calendars (files, websites, and all).

For advance planning, I'm creating notes (in the notes application) for each lesson plan. I'm naming them "week 1" etc. Then, each week, I can review what we actually accomplished and input notes into the events that are recurring every week (or every day) in our schedule so that the kids have updated instructions for their week. I decided to do it this way (in notes) instead of going weeks in advance in the actual calendar because this way my lesson plans are all written, but I don't have to worry about going in and making a bunch of changes in the calendar if someone gets sick or we have something happen that disrupts our week.

I have iStudiez, WPD, and iPlan and I think simply using a calendar with repeating events is going to be less time consuming and more efficient.

I'm using the kids' calendars on their iPads. I manage them from the computer and just add in the lessons from my computer. I schedule repeating events for things that have a definite time in our calendar, and then I use the "note" function within the event to write my instructions for each day. I can also attach files (I attached a chart I wanted ds to fill out for TOG yesterday). I can have websites or even videos attached to the event so everything ds needs for his work that day is right within the calendar.

I have iStudiez, WPD, and iPlan and I think simply using a calendar with repeating events is going to be less time consuming and more efficient.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I've been wondering why this approach wouldn't be better than all the other planners mentioned.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was curious if after time the bugs had been worked out from the My Well Planned Day software and was shocked to see front and center there is still information that expired LAST August. That's a bit overkill in neglect on a website. :( The only reason I stayed away from it is the astronomical price in comparison to everything else. I guess it's print and bind for me. :(

I was curious if after time the bugs had been worked out from the My Well Planned Day software and was shocked to see front and center there is still information that expired LAST August. That's a bit overkill in neglect on a website. :( The only reason I stayed away from it is the astronomical price in comparison to everything else. I guess it's print and bind for me. :(

They're supposedly giving all current subscribers a free year from the point when the site redesign is rolled out, but I'm not holding my breath on that being ready before the next school year. It's incredibly frustrating to see all the different products and sites HEDUA has been rolling out, while the thing customers have been paying for is neglected. Most recently, they claimed that they were defrauded by their previous programmers, which seems unlikely because communication on their part has been just as much of an issue (if not more!) than the fact that things weren't working. While the new programming team is working on the new interface, we haven't seen any updates or repairs to functions that have been broken for months.

My family knows it as "that planner I love to hate" because I'm still surprised each and every time something doesn't work.

Well Planned Day has a Facebook page and though I've not bought it, due to the issues I've read about, I do see them posting quite often about working on this or working on that....thus, I still think it is in the works, which is kinda silly considering it's been out almost a full year at this point. I do see how they white-wash their issues, and remove comments from their Facebook page that they don't like. Don't trust companies that do that...prefer they address the concerns professionally and move on. Too bad, because it had potential, but I won't be buying it due to all the bad publicity I've read.

I do think that HST+ is amazing, once you get past the learning curve. I started with it and just did basics, but eventually moved on and used this or that. I love how I can print grid-like assignment sheet (similiar to what Sonlight or MFW grids are like) for my week, one for each boy. When I was still homeschooling my oldest and he was a bit more independent, I printed a daily assignment paper as he liked the way that looked more. Some weeks, I don't have alot to print, so I just work off the computer screen. So versatile! Plus I paid for it once, and own it forever....unlike many of the others.

We did my well planned day, and it never really worked properly so we quit. It still doesn't work properly from what I have read on Facebook and others. It's sad because it could have been an awesome program but they tried to come out before they were ready, and actually charged people money for a product that doesn't work.

I found an iPad app called homeschool helper and I love it! It's so easy to use, has everything I need, and is only $2.99 I think! I do wish I could sync it on cloud and have it on multiple devices, but I almost always have my iPad when we are doing school anyway.

Before the app, I loved the free planning pages I got with our preschool curric (also free) from weefolkart.com

This is exactly what I have a problem with! If you post anything not roses and sunshine, they will delete your comment! And that is not right.

Well Planned Day has a Facebook page and though I've not bought it, due to the issues I've read about, I do see them posting quite often about working on this or working on that....thus, I still think it is in the works, which is kinda silly considering it's been out almost a full year at this point. I do see how they white-wash their issues, and remove comments from their Facebook page that they don't like. Don't trust companies that do that...prefer they address the concerns professionally and move on. Too bad, because it had potential, but I won't be buying it due to all the bad publicity I've read.

I do think that HST+ is amazing, once you get past the learning curve. I started with it and just did basics, but eventually moved on and used this or that. I love how I can print grid-like assignment sheet (similiar to what Sonlight or MFW grids are like) for my week, one for each boy. When I was still homeschooling my oldest and he was a bit more independent, I printed a daily assignment paper as he liked the way that looked more. Some weeks, I don't have alot to print, so I just work off the computer screen. So versatile! Plus I paid for it once, and own it forever....unlike many of the others.

I tried Well Planned Day briefly and immediately asked for a refund. That was the prettiest piece of garbage I've ever bought. I'm so sad for the victims still waiting and hoping they'll follow through and fix things.

Skedtrack is working great for me. It's the opposite of WPD. Unattractive but functional. The only thing I wish is that it was quicker to checkoff completed items if I don't get to it before midnight on the same day, and that I could print nice looking to do lists, assignments by course, etc. Constantly re-logging in is a slight pain, and it would be nice if my kids could login themselves and check off what they have done.

But I'll take functional and reliable over pretty but useless any day of the week. Plus it's free and web-based so I can access it both from my PC and my iPad when I have wi-fi.

I am trying to decide what planning software I want to use for this next year. I have HST+ already, it can be cumbersome, but doable. Just wondering if I am missing anything with the new Well Planned Day software. Have all the problems been worked out or is it even useful at this point?

I have also been trying out Skedtrack and it seems pretty simple, although I wish it had a few more functions. I cannot figure out what the resources tab is for, can someone explain that. If you put a book in that tab does it link to anything else or can you schedule it?

I only have one student's lessons to enter, so I don't need a lot of functions in a planner. I mainly want to be able to see a monthly calendar with assignments that are easy to automatically schedule, move around assignments if needed, print reports so I have an assignment sheet for my child, and possibly put in literature we are reading and assign chapters on certain days.

Homeschool helper app http://www.homeschoolhelperapp.com does all of these things - beautifully (literally and figuratively). It is available on multiple platforms (not computer based- tablet based).

HTH

Homeschool helper app http://www.homeschoolhelperapp.com does all of these things - beautifully (literally and figuratively). It is available on multiple platforms (not computer based- tablet based).

HTH

This looks nice, I might try it for next year. Do you know if it syncs between multiple devices? I know it doesn't have updating from a PC, but wondering about between 2 iPads/iPods.

Also what about printing? My iPad isn't connected to my printer, could I email reports or checklists from the iPad?

ETA, I think I found the answers in their FAQ. I bought the app and am playing with it now, entering subjects for next year. :)

I use the MOST amazing planner.

I went through HST+, WPD, Master Planner, Pumpkin Patch's planner, TOS, and practically every digital planner available.

NOW I have a planner that suits me. And it works.

Its called....

A Spiral Notebook.

A 5 subject lecture spiral a4 notebook to be exact.

Its portable, editable, eraseable, sturdy and works between multiple rooms.

Works quite well. :smilielol5:

We did my well planned day, and it never really worked properly so we quit. It still doesn't work properly from what I have read on Facebook and others. It's sad because it could have been an awesome program but they tried to come out before they were ready, and actually charged people money for a product that doesn't work.

Um... It still doesn't work? I'm one of the people who fell for the pretty product and immediately ditched it (though I never asked for a refund).

I use a logbook now. Much cheaper. :)

I bought Homeschool Helper and have been playing around with it. I love the look and feel. I really wanted it to work and I knew they don't let you upload lists of lessons or enter them from the PC, so I even bought a keyboard to make typing lessons in on the iPad easier. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be using it. Here's what really didn't work for me: the scheduling of lesson activities you have planned. If you don't check off a lesson on the day it is completed, it just sits there on the calendar uncompleted. The sample student had uncompleted lessons from 2 years ago just sitting there on the calendar. (this seriously bothered me, haha!) They did recently add a method for bumping lessons but I don't care for it at all because you have to go in and manually do it for each day or range of days. I think I will be staying with Skedtrack. Here's how their lesson scheduling works. (They also have specific date options but I don't use that.)

1. When you set up a "course," you select the date span - all year or something else, and the days of the week it should come up on the schedule. Say "Mon, Wed, Fri.". It will skip holidays and certain "own the day" field trips that are entered in admin; otherwise the class comes up on the days selected.

2. Each course has "activities". These are similar to the lesson plans in Homeschool Helper. I use this to list what should be done for each course. For a course that I am specifically designing and using multiple resources, like my son's geography, I enter what we are doing each day as an activity. For a course that never changes, like piano, it is blank with a timeframe, so they know they just need to spend 40 minutes practicing. For a course with a curriculum plan, it says "lesson X", or in the case of our science, it says "day X, and my son knows he needs to complete that day of the science schedule in the front of his notebook (I love the core foundations schedules). For outside courses, I just say "X class homework" and it is up to my son to plan how much of his weekly homework to do each day. I usually create the list of activities in excel and upload it as thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s faster for me than typing. Activities are noted as regular, quiz, test, etc. If a test is checked off as completed, it then pops up in my list of test scores to enter.

3. Now hereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the magic of Skedtrack. It takes the activities for each course and automatically puts them on the "to do" list on next day of the course. If the class is Mondays and Thursdays, those are the days it shows in the list, unless it's a holiday or field trip day. If we donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t check an activity off as completed that day, it comes up again the next time that course is scheduled. There is no bumping or rescheduling mess.

Maybe other programs have that feature too, but WPD and Homeschool Helper didn't and I was just flabbergasted that it was so difficult to enter lessons and get them to come up on the right date! Made me love Skedtrack even more, so I just thought I would explain it for those who are interested. I would seriously love it if the folks who own Skedtrack and the folks who own HH would get together and mix the iPad app's user interface with the functionality of Skedtrack. In the meantime, I'll have to stick with the functionality.

I just scanned this thread, so forgive me if someone has mentioned this already. I purchased something from Homeschool Buyers Co-op a while back and they asked if I wanted to be a part of the Beta testing for their new "Homeschool Planet" digital planner. I have played around with it a bit and I have to say that it looks pretty good. If it had not of been so far into the year and I had not already had everything scheduled, I might have been tempted to use it. I am certainly going to look at it closer for next year.

I have always been a Microsoft Outlook person for my scheduling, but my high school son is now doing his own scheduling. He used a paper one this year and really disliked it (he is a crazy fast typist, but handwriting is still agonizing). I may have him look at this for next year. I like the idea that he can access it when he is out and about. I believe they were going to try and have it out on the market soon, but I have not checked their progress lately. I just thought I would mention it.

I just scanned this thread, so forgive me if someone has mentioned this already. I purchased something from Homeschool Buyers Co-op a while back and they asked if I wanted to be a part of the Beta testing for their new "Homeschool Planet" digital planner. I have played around with it a bit and I have to say that it looks pretty good. If it had not of been so far into the year and I had not already had everything scheduled, I might have been tempted to use it. I am certainly going to look at it closer for next year.

thank you for mentioning this. I don't see anything on their site but will keep an eye out, it sounds very interesting.

I love this idea! It's so much cheaper and simpler than some of the other options. I knew you could attach URLs but how do you attach PDFs to individual events? Also, while I know is defeats the purpose of making everything digital, is there a way to print daily schedules from my iPad?

Can anyone weigh in on Edu-tracker? Found a CDrom with it at our local blessings bash, and I've been looking for something as I can't find anything else I like.

I'm curious about Edu-tracker (or is it Edu-track?) as well. I saw it in person years ago at a friend's house and liked that she could print each child's daily or weekly assignments from what she had put in for the year.

Sarah CB, do you have to have an apple computer to do that?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious about Edu-tracker (or is it Edu-track?) as well. I saw it in person years ago at a friend's house and liked that she could print each child's daily or weekly assignments from what she had put in for the year.

Sarah CB, do you have to have an apple computer to do that?

There is both an Edu-track app and an Edu-track program. I've been using the PC program for years and years and love it. It is more expensive than HST so a lot of people don't use it.

Today (which is why I brought this thread back to life) I've been searching for an iPad app for tracking software. I stumbled across an edu-track app that does not appear to be related to program of the same name at all. The app appears to do much less than the program and the seller is different.