Menu

Struggling to remember facts, rules, sounds

dtsmamtj

So my daughter (12) is struggling remembering some math facts, spelling sounds, etc. This issue has been around for a bit, thought we were making progress but after our break she seems to be struggling more. We have used several different spelling programs - currently doing Logic of English. Thoughts on how to increase memory? Off the wall, but could this be a hormonal issue at this age?

Does she have a formal or suspected dx of some sort? My NT dd went through bouts of this starting at around 11 years of age. I did chalk it up to the age and the break. I always threatened that we'd never again take a break for math because it was like everything was lost after summer. BUT... we did take breaks, and she did the reviews, and I had to learn to keep my cool. :w00t: Slow and steady wins the race!

It's not uncommon for children to have some gaps and struggles after a break. But two things to focus on:

One, make sure that you aren't moving too quickly through the material. Short, daily lessons are going to net better retention for kids who struggle than longer lessons. If you move on too quickly, then the information recently learned will get pushed out by the new teaching, and you'll end up with gaps. This article on the Funnel Concept might be helpful to you.

Two, make sure that you are doing daily, ongoing review. I haven't looked at LOE closely enough to see if it has built-in review, but you can add that in (and also to your math program etc...). Things like phonograms, rules, words, math facts--anything that you need to make sure she retains can be worked into a daily review time. I use AAS and spend about 2-5 minutes reviewing cards. Keep them in daily review until she can answer the card easily, without having to stop and think or self-correct. (I like to keep things in review until a Monday so that my kids have to remember it over a weekend. If they can still remember it, it's more likely that it's truly mastered). You want her to be able to answer somewhat automatically so that when she needs spelling for her writing (which is another step harder than studying spelling in a spelling program), or she needs to use math facts in longer, more involved problems, she'll be able to recall that information. Here's a blog article on automaticity that might be helpful as well. It talks about AAS, but you can still pull ideas from it. HTH some! Merry :-)