Menu

nm

Guest inoubliable

Yep, I make pizza every Saturday using my KA mixer. I use the 1c water/ 3c flour ratio, and make however much I feel like we'll eat that week. I can make it so that we have more leftover pizza to have on hand for lunch, too. Sometimes I mix up the dough and the kids get a "make your own pizza" night. Enjoy!

Pizza dough is much easier to make than bread. I usually do it by hand. Since you don't care that much to have it rise like crazy, you can make a bunch and keep the leftover in the fridge to use later in the week. Just punch it down when you take it out, let it come to room temperature and rise in an oiled bowl, and then roll it out for the pizza. I use raw polenta as a release layer, and it adds a nice flavor to the pizza.

My head is spinning with possibilities! LOL. When everyone was mentioning that they use their KA stand mixer for making bread, it just never occurred to me that pizza dough would fall in that category. D'oh! I need to pick up a package of active dry yeast. I actually had a 2 lb unopened bag of it that expired next month. That I threw away over the weekend thinking that I'd never use it since I don't make bread!

Well we make pizza a couple of times a month but I've never bothered to put it in the mixer. It's more effort to wash the mixer than it is to mix the dough by hand. Pizza dough takes less than 5 minutes of hands on time (and that's for measuring), I've never bothered to knead the stuff (which is why I would use a mixer).

Also I would have kept that yeast. Those vacuumed sealed packages are good way past their dates. I found one two years expired in the back of the cupboard and it worked just as good as the fresh stuff (and I use it mostly for bread where you would really notice if it was working or not). Also once you open a package I would recommend storing it in the freezer, it doesn't go bad that way. I've had a bag in the year for a year or more and again it works just fine (IN the fridge or on the counter it would have deteriorated too much)

Pizza dough is much easier to make than bread. I usually do it by hand. Since you don't care that much to have it rise like crazy, you can make a bunch and keep the leftover in the fridge to use later in the week. Just punch it down when you take it out, let it come to room temperature and rise in an oiled bowl, and then roll it out for the pizza. I use raw polenta as a release layer, and it adds a nice flavor to the pizza.

I agree with this. I find it much quicker done by hand. Bread turns out better with my dough hook but pizza dough doesn't need much kneading. And cornmeal is great under the crust!

huh? 2 is low, I don't know squat about gluten baking (been gluten free my adult baking life) but that seems REALLY slow. I know GF pizza dough you mix at about 8.

You always use speed 2 with the dough hook attachment for breads made the traditional way. The mixer can overheat kneading the heavy dough at faster than that.

LOL!! I use THIS one frequently....it's yummy.

I second this one. I add 1-2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning too. I've also been known to add garlic powder as well.

Sometimes I make extra crust and bake just the crust for 8-10 minutes, let it cool and then freeze it. It thaws quickly and you have your already made pizza dough for a quick meal.

You always use speed 2 with the dough hook attachment for breads made the traditional way. The mixer can overheat kneading the heavy dough at faster than that.

Maybe you guys have lower models with plastic gears? Mine can knead some seriously thick dough without a problem.

Um, so then this is going to sound a bit icky, but.... I honestly *just* threw that package away. It's still outside in the trashcan. Vacuum sealed and all. Never opened. Can I rescue it and use it still?

I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but I would salvage that, especially since it's still sealed. I *would* wash the outside before I opened it, though.

I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but I would salvage that, especially since it's still sealed. I *would* wash the outside before I opened it, though.

:iagree:

That's exactly what I would have said too. I hate to waste anything if I can still salvage it.

Maybe you guys have lower models with plastic gears? Mine can knead some seriously thick dough without a problem.

IDK about what model I have, but it was in the instructions that came with mine, when kneading always use speed four or below. (I think it was four, it was low, anyway.)

Yep. If it weren't, ya know, slathered in whatever else you threw away. Then I might chicken out.

It's the gear box cover that is either plastic or metal--inside the KA, not the cover you see on the outside. I broke my KA by trying to open it to find out which I had, so I could replace the cover if necessary. I found a great tutorial online that told me how to do it, but skipped the parts about how to open the KA and tried to do it myself. I took something out that looked like a screw but wasn't, and now I have to figure out how to get it back in right. Will have to look for another tutorial.

Nope. Mine is top of the line professional grade. The paddle beater can handle a lot. It's just the dough hook that needs the low speed.

Cinnamon bun dough?! I've been doing this thing with Pilsbury Grands and a mixture of walnuts and cinnamon and sugar and rolled up into buns. You can make dough in the mixer for that, too??

Mashed potatoes, I knew. Icing and cake batters, I knew.

Great googly moogly. What else have I been missing??

Yeah, dough is dough :). Whipped cream, though you're vegan right? Pretty much anything that requires mixing or kneading. You just find a recipe and mix it up there.

Woot! Yeast has been rescued. Nothing even remotely icky on it but I rinsed it well just in case.

I'm not sure about the whole plastic vs metal hook now. My dough hook is metal. All of the recipes that I'm seeing that specify using a stand mixer are saying not to go past number 2. I think I'll play it safe and not go above 2.

I buy my yeast in 2 pound packages, too. I keep a small jar of it in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Dry yeast keeps a looong time that way. I managed to get through one package in a year.

I never find it necessary to go above the "stir" setting with the dough hook.

Oh, nice! I was going to google about for that information tonight. I've never had such a large package before. When I owned a breadmaker many moons ago, I used it so infrequently that I'd just buy the little individual packets at the supermarket. I bought this huge package on Amazon expecting to make...um...something. I can't remember what. I never even opened it, though, so I wasn't sure on how to store it. I've got some glass jars that have the rubber seal and latch on the side. Could I keep the dry yeast in that, in the freezer? What sort of jar do you keep in the fridge? I have a small glass jar for spices that I can use. For making stuff like pizza dough and cinnamon bun dough, it doesn't look like I need much per recipe. So I think that might work. Unless glass is a no-no for some reason?

I use a small glass jar in the fridge and a ziploc in the freezer.

I guess I you've never heard of a bread machine, right? I used to use my kitchen aid for all dough, then I got my Zoji. It is even easier in the bread machine than with the stand mixer. Dump it in, press a button and walk away. In two hours you have beautifully kneaded pizza dough ready for spreading.

Don't get rid of your stand mixer though.

My head is spinning with possibilities! LOL. When everyone was mentioning that they use their KA stand mixer for making bread, it just never occurred to me that pizza dough would fall in that category. D'oh! I need to pick up a package of active dry yeast. I actually had a 2 lb unopened bag of it that expired next month. That I threw away over the weekend thinking that I'd never use it since I don't make bread!

I make bread in my KA all the time. In fact it is my go to appliance for any dough making. Have fun!!

Jenn

Oh, nice! I was going to google about for that information tonight. I've never had such a large package before. When I owned a breadmaker many moons ago, I used it so infrequently that I'd just buy the little individual packets at the supermarket. I bought this huge package on Amazon expecting to make...um...something. I can't remember what. I never even opened it, though, so I wasn't sure on how to store it. I've got some glass jars that have the rubber seal and latch on the side. Could I keep the dry yeast in that, in the freezer? What sort of jar do you keep in the fridge? I have a small glass jar for spices that I can use. For making stuff like pizza dough and cinnamon bun dough, it doesn't look like I need much per recipe. So I think that might work. Unless glass is a no-no for some reason?

I just dumped the whole thing in a ziplock in the freezer. I use it straight from the freezer. I don't need to try to keep track of the same ingredient stored in 2 different places using the "frozen" yeast doesn't seem to affect my recipes

I just dumped the whole thing in a ziplock in the freezer. I use it straight from the freezer. I don't need to try to keep track of the same ingredient stored in 2 different places using the "frozen" yeast doesn't seem to affect my recipes

Me too! It never occurred to me to keep two different yeast containers. I just have it in a zip lock in the freezer and use it when needed. No problems.

We're having pizza for lunch today!!

Um, did you guys know that you can make marshmallows with this thing?? The kids and I found a vegan kit that we want to order to make marshmallows now!

What else have you girls been holding out on me about?! :lol:

I use the recipe from Smitten Kitchen. But it has one egg white. The egg white makes it much easier to work with.

What had you been using your stand mixer for? I use it for almost anything that needs stirring.

FYI, you can use a food processor for many of the same things. Mine has a dough blade for kneading, but I have never used it. I have also seen whipping blades for a food processor, but never seen one used.

I find that the key to using my KA mixer is to have it out on the counter. If I have to dig it out of a cabinet, I will never do it. But because it's accessible, I use it quite a bit. I wash the bowls and blades in the dishwasher, and so it's a very easy clean up each time.

I completely trashed a food processor trying to knead dough in it. There is no speed control on those, so the appropriate slow speed is not possible. Also I don't find food processors all that good at whipping eggs--I think that this is because eggs need a lot of air flow to beat up properly. FP's are great for cutting, chopping, and making butter, and for making soup--although the new stick blenders are awfully good substitutes for making soup right in the pot. I would hate to be without my food processor OR my KA. They complement each other's functions beautifully.