Menu

Besides UHaul, what company is good for interstate, do-it-yourself moving?

Xuzi

We've had bad luck in the past with UHaul taking for-ev-er to get us a truck that was "guaranteed" for a certain time, so for this move we're looking to go with a different company.

We'll be moving from WA to NV, and will need the truck for a minimum of 3, possibly 4 days. All packing and loading and driving will be done by us.

What are some reputable options?

We've used both Budget and Penske and have been happy with them. Generally we call all three, including UHaul (and Ryder, back in the day), and go with the cheapest option. UHaul never has been the least expensive for interstate moves and we've done many of those.

Have you thought about buying a truck? My parents bought a used Uhaul for $2,500 and its been great, we've put several thousand miles on it so far without a problem and it was cheaper then renting the truck. (last trip with the 14' box truck he hauled 20 tons, 1200 miles, thats a lot of weight!) These things are well maintained and with good records When were finally done with all the moving we will resale the truck easily.

I'd go with Penske or Budget if either of those options are available. Sadly for us the only thing at both ends of the trip available was Uhaul.

Yeah, we've had times where our options have been limited or that we've had to drive a while to pick up or drop off the truck. Penske isn't everywhere. Budget seems to have better coverage, but you can nearly always find a UHaul nearby. Unfortunately.

Agreeing with the others, Penske. We just used them in October for a west coast to middle America move and they were way more affordable than the other companies. They ended up giving us free blankets and free use a dolly as well. Oh, and there happened to be a deal where our car dolly was half off.

When checking prices, look online and call, sometimes one or the other has better deals, I'm not sure why.

We have moved 3 times in the past 3 years, so I guess I'm qualified to give input on this. For our first move, we used Penske. They had the cheapest price on our OK to MO move. They had excellent equipment and customer service. We thought we would never use anyone else after that experience.

For our second move, within the state of MO, Penske was a little too far out of the way and Uhaul was a little cheaper, so we went with Uhaul. Again, we didn't have any problems, although we had to go a little further than we wanted to pick up the right size truck.

Our last move was two weeks ago, from MO back to OK, and Penske wanted double what we had paid to move in the other direction. Apparently, they have an overstock of equipment in OK, and they give you a great deal if you move away from OK, but not the other way around. Uhaul was almost as much. Budget happened to have an internet special going on during December for 20% off if you booked online, so they ended up being the cheapest, and although thier biggest truck was 2 feet shorter than the biggest Penske or Uhaul, we decided to go with them. The Budget experience was okay, we didn't have any real issues, but the truck was a bucket of bolts. We probably won't use them again if we can help it, but finances dictated our decision this time.

Regardless of who you get a truck from, consider getting moving blankets from Uhaul. They are the cheapest by far.

I tried Budget one time, only once. I will never use them again unless it was the only option. I've never been able to use Penske, only Uhaul and so far, so good. I usually call Budget before Uhaul, find out there price and have Uhaul price match it. It has saved us a lot of money from what Uhaul wanted to charge.

If you are willing to let someone else do the driving we have been happy with ABF.

This. Pack the truck yourself and they drive it. We did this on a cross-country move so that we could drive together and not have to drive the huge truck. Made moving a much better experience. We did reach our destination before our stuff arrived so it was a few days before we could unload, but we knew this in advance so were prepared.