Menu

Not bouncing back from illness

Tiramisu

I posted quite awhile ago about a bad upper respiratory virus dd12 had. She was actively sick for almost two weeks, developed a terrible ear infection and was on antibiotics. Here we are at least a month later and she's still not herself. She has no physical signs of illness, but she's still so tired. She had a sore throat but did not have swollen glands like you would expect in mono, so I wouldn't expect it to be that. Then this week, she had a stomach bug. Everyone else has had a touch of these things but hasn't really got sick. I just don't know what to do about it. I don't want to overreact but I'm thinking of taking her in and asking the doctor to do bloodwork. Anything in particular to check? Am I making too much of this?

We had the stomach bug starting Christmas day, one person at a time. It lasted different lengths of time for each of us, but I noticed that it took the kids longer to bounce back, regain an appetite, etc. If your dd was already convalescing, she may have just been hit harder and it may take while for her to return to health.

We did have a friend whose son had stomach problems after being sick and being on antibiotics. The doctor prescribed probiotics and that cleared up his stomach issues. I wouldn't hesitate to take my dd to a doctor to discuss concerns, but I might also wait awhile longer to see if she bounces back from the stomach bug after a few more days.

After a month, I don't think you are overreacting at all. And I'm not a rush to the doc type of person. I would definitely take her in and ask for bloodwork, tests to make sure she isn't harboring mono or strep w/out the fever, maybe even a lung x-ray if you think she needs it. Something is wrong. Good luck, I hope you find some answers and she feels better soon.

You know if something isn't right. I caught mono from my little sister (we don't know where she picked it up) when I was 16. She was on the couch for all of august. She didn't have swollen glands or even a fever. My mom is a nurse and she kept saying that something wasn't right. My sister was a gymnast and a ball of energy. Anyway, it took until November for me to get sick and then the Dr tested all of us kids for mono before we figured out what was going on. Mono can be a tricky illness.

And since then I have been diagnosed two more times with mono, one time in college it was quite severe and required me to withdraw from a semester. Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't all just one long bout of mono that hung around for years. It has been a good 20 years since all then.

I think you should take her in on Monday and get checked. Just to be on the safe side. It does sound like she is run down, maybe weak from that last bad virus she had. It can be a hard cycle to break. I've been there before. Maybe some nourishing bone broth to help boost her system to heal. It is frustrating to keep getting sick like that. At least if you take her in and get tested, even if there is nothing, you can relax, knowing you tried everything. Hopefully, if it is something, they can figure it out and help her heal quickly! Keep us updated.

Hugs and hoping she starts to bounce back! :grouphug:

I would get her checked too. She might have anemia or something. As for the stomach flu, certain blood types are more resistant than others. I don't know about them all but I can tell you A (my blood type) has little resistance to it and B (half of my family) rarely gets stomach bugs at all, and when they do it's milder. Does she have a different blood type than the rest of you?

Thank you for all your thoughts. I've been thinking about it and I think she was even more tired than usual before she got so sick with days here and there when she was very sluggish and had a hard time finishing her work. I was attributing it to hormones and growth. She has just about beat me in height. I think I'll give a call in tomorrow and see when my favorite pediatrician is in. The only time she ever had bloodwork was when she had surgery a few years ago. It might not be a bad idea just to check things out. Thanks again.

You know her best. If you think there is something wrong then by all means don't hesitate to take her to the doctor for a thorough evaluation.

We aren't bouncing back quickly from our hideously ill December. But I don't feel that it is anything to be concerned about yet. It seems to be par for the course with what is going around right now. I know quite a few people who are feeling the same.