Menu

FLU CDC Map

StartingOver

More than 80% of cases match the strains caught by the vaccine. My kids got the flu, but I was vaccinated because of pregnancy, and I didn't.

Yep. We've all had the flu vaccine, and according to what I'm reading from legitimate sources we're relatively safe. But the tummy bugs going around . . . oh my. I wish there were vaccines for them!

But the tummy bugs going around . . . oh my. I wish there were vaccines for them!

YES! We all came down with some sort of stomach bug. Got it from the next-door neighbors I HATE getting sick when pregnant. It knocks me out for so long, and I ALWAYS catch it, versus only occasionally when not pregnant. I guess the upside is that my baby is really, really safe from my nonexistent immune system?

I can only think that those moms who have 6+ kids and homeschool must not get sick as easily while pregnant. I can't imagine how hard it would be to keep up with homeschooling being sick and pregnant sooooo much, and with a ton of kids to catch things from the community, it would just be that much rougher. (Of course, having a neighbor kid with a compromised immune system doesn't help! He brings home EVERYTHING.)

Wow. It's gotten very brown in the last week. We've been healthy here so far. I had a few days of, er, let's go with "digestive upset," but no other symptoms, and dh and dd are fine. Of course, we've been in for the last couple weeks for the holidays. Once dd has to go to the school for her speech therapy, then we'll see what happens.

I am glad I got my flu shot - hope it works, as when the new line opened up at Walmart I got in it, and someone got behind me, so i could not move. Then we all realized that the cashier was looking miserable, and speaking to a supervisor that she would "try and hang on" to her break. Asked her what was wrong and she flat out said "I have the flu...I am going through a load of hand sanitizer" as she handled all my groceries to scan and bag them.

Sigh. She could not afford to stay home, she needed the money...but now how many more folks have been exposed to the flu?

Guest inoubliable

If you're interested in further numbers, you may want to check out https://flunearyou.org/

We're registered and answer a weekly survey on whether we developed any symptoms of flu for that week. The maps are different from the CDC maps, of course. My state only has 504 participating. And 5 of those people are my family. LOL. Well, I should say that the map overlaps the CDC map. In the time we've been using it, we've noticed a LOT more cases popping up in the D.C. area.

So far I don't think what I have is the flu, it has just been a sore throat and some congestion, but it has been that way since Tuesday. Dh has been fighting the same thing, better than I have and dd hasn't had symptoms at all yet. My family is coming to visit on Thursday for a week and I hope to be 100% by then.

I know someone whose friend's healthy 17 year old son died of the flu last week in Minnesota. Horrible.

Out here in CA the Page Family Foundation (Google founder money) financed free flu shots for school aged kids at local Target stores, but this was not widely known.

I read about a healthy high school senior who died last week of flu symptoms, I wonder whether it was the same person. He got sick and died while visiting relatives. So sad.

Odd... I saw that map the other day too. In my area it is widespread but I don't know anyone who has the flu. I must live in a bubble. We've had something going around here, but it's more like a cold - sniffles and congestion mostly.

Does anyone know how to find out if the flu strain in your area matches the vaccine. I've seen two people here with two different experiences.

We have been sick with flu and some of us with most but not all flu symptoms.....all have had fevers...... And everybody just keeps getting reinfected...... I don't feel well but I have to try and disinfect better today...

I don't think you can re-get the same flu. That's the whole purpose of the flu shot. You must have some nasty cold going through the family.

I know someone whose friend's healthy 17 year old son died of the flu last week in Minnesota. Horrible. Out here in CA the Page Family Foundation (Google founder money) financed free flu shots for school aged kids at local Target stores, but this was not widely known.
I read about a healthy high school senior who died last week of flu symptoms, I wonder whether it was the same person. He got sick and died while visiting relatives. So sad.

Not that it makes it any better, but just for clarity, I believe he died of a staph infection. They really need to get a handle on MRSA.:(

wow, i believe it! the flu has been rampant! i think everyone in my town has had the flu but my family. even our pastor (who has never had the flu in his life) was knocked out for a week. i know the elementary school a few weeks ago had over 100 kids out at the same time. we don't do the flu shots here, but we do up our vitamins a lot (especially D) and obviously we wash our hands religiously. fortunately, i've only had the flu once in my life. the flu was no fun at all.

Not that it makes it any better, but just for clarity, I believe he died of a staph infection. They really need to get a handle on MRSA.:(

MRSA is terrible. And can kill you without the flu. It's everywhere.

Flu is going around here. I have had it several times in my life. Nobody in my family has gotten it or the shot.

I'm glad we got shots mostly because it does seem to be severe this year and at least I will have done what I could to prevent. I saw an article yesterday that the CDC is saying it's a good match to this year's strains. Then I saw another article (I think out of Minnesota) saying good match doesn't equal effective. Confused, I re-read the Cochrane reviews on flu shots and I didn't see anything to indicate that good match years can still be ineffective (in fact the opposite) so I'm not sure what to think!

My grandmothers nursing home was on lockdown all week because of the flu. We have some gunk here. From what I ave heard, this years strain presents like a bad cold. I know more than one person that it has developed into bronchitis and pneumonia. Both kids had their shots, but I don't know if that is going to protect them 100% sigh..

I'm glad we got shots mostly because it does seem to be severe this year and at least I will have done what I could to prevent. I saw an article yesterday that the CDC is saying it's a good match to this year's strains. Then I saw another article (I think out of Minnesota) saying good match doesn't equal effective. Confused, I re-read the Cochrane reviews on flu shots and I didn't see anything to indicate that good match years can still be ineffective (in fact the opposite) so I'm not sure what to think!

As far as I can tell, the flu shot is effective (90% iirc) if they have a good match on the strains, and if you are between the ages of 18-59. The flu vaccine is about 70% effective for younger children. Unfortunately, it looks like there is very little coverage if you are under 2 or over 60. This is what gives the conflicting numbers because it really depends which group/year you are looking at. HTH

Doncha just love how they just nail those flu strains every year? <----sarcasm.

Our house had it a few weeks ago (we took a homeopathic remedy and it greatly helped) it only took each of them out about 3 days. Now we have strep.

Neither I nor my Dh have gotten the flu. Nor have we gotten the shot.

I am so torn on the shot!

Ds has very important sports competitions coming up for the next 4 months, the flu would be terrible as if he misses practice (it's every day) it will affect him so much. And older Ds needs to be in his,high school classes or he will fall behind. So I want them as protected as can be.

But.

The only time we've fallen ill with flu is the years we got the shot- and the kids are adamant they don't want the shot! It's illogical, but the correlation in their minds (and mine, frankly) is shot equals sick. I think it weakens their immune system just enough they then get it, maybe? And flu is everywhere here, in northern Virginia.

What would you do, hive?

I get sick with every single shot. We did take them for a few years because Quince was preemie, with RSV, and chronic severe asthma. He isn't near as ill as he was then. So we haven't taken one in the last 2 years. Emma has never had the shot as she is allergic to eggs, she is the only one that has never had the flu. We practice good hand washing, not touching eyes, nose, or mouth. We avoid crowded places when the flu is wide spread. Luckily our Ped, has a Well Waiting Room.

I prefer to take our chances and build immunity naturally. So please feel free to remind me of that, if we get sick later. ;-)

We love getting out in nature when it isn't sweltering in TEXAS !!!

I'm glad we all got the shot this year. We don't always. We know so many people who have had it or have it currently. I know they're saying it's the right strain, but I'm paranoid because I know at least two people who got the shot and then the flu. And I work two mornings a week in a preschool! Do NOT want to get sick with anything! I'm using buckets of hand sanitizer and taking my vitamins and probiotics. Not sure what else to do.

Dh and my two oldest teens got the vax and it's done them zero good. They are puking, migraining, coughing up a lung, clutching their personal box of tissues in one hand and a cup of broth in the other, stomach cramping, 104' fevered, shaking for chills and body aches under blankets, working up a sweat walking across the room for the tv remote just like the rest of us for 6 days now.

It's been just about the worst sickness and the longest this house has ever seen. Just awful. I commented on FB just the other day that I have no doubt anyone not in good health to start with or who gets slammed with a secondary sickness during this is a sure bet they are going to end up in the hospital.

I'm betting it will take us weeks to get our energy back even after we finally kick this never ending flu.

As far as I can tell, the flu shot is effective (90% iirc) if they have a good match on the strains, and if you are between the ages of 18-59. The flu vaccine is about 70% effective for younger children. Unfortunately, it looks like there is very little coverage if you are under 2 or over 60. This is what gives the conflicting numbers because it really depends which group/year you are looking at. HTH

Agreed. And it also depends on each individual person's immune system. The flu shot can only work as well as an individual immune system will "allow" it to. Which is the major reason it isn't as effective in older people, who have weaker immune systems than younger folks. It's also probably the culprit when people say they got the shot but got the flu anyway. Those folks always want to blame the vaccine. But if it's a good match (which reliable sources say it is this year), then it's likely that the person's immune system, for whatever reason(s), wasn't able to develop the immunity that it should have.

Our county had an 8 year old die of the flu last week.

There is a non-flu bug just ripping through here: asthmatic bronchitis, with a hacking cough, nausea, low grade temp, sore throat and did I mention that wheezing, hacking cough that lingers and lingers.

A friend skypes to Russia daily, and she says it is ripping through Russia, too.

We skipped shots last year and everyone except me got (laboratory confirmed) Influenza A. I didn't show flu symptoms at all despite the sick in this house and that still puzzles me! I assumed I was a non-symptomatic, yet contagious, carrier in terms of exposing myself to others.

Sometimes things look like flu symptom wise but aren't actually influenza. That makes it hard to determine what's going on from reported experiences.

I read through the CDC site with the map and other statistics last night. If I'm understanding their FluView stats chart correctly, they track how many people with ILI or Influenza Like Illness go to the doctor or hospital. Of those people (i.e. all have flu-like symptoms), only 31.6% test positive for influenza. Then they separate that into how many have Influenza A, B, or H1N1. Of those who have the flu, it's predominantly A and the vaccine match is very good for that. For B, there are two strains going around and one is matched well by the vaccine, the other is not. H1N1 is matched well but there aren't many cases of that.

But the interesting thing is that some 68% of those people going to the doctor with flu-like illnesses have some other virus. There's lots of stuff going around out there. We personally were hit with a stomach bug the week of Christmas. Family spread it to us and we managed to spread it to other family. Ugh. I'm ready to just stay holed up at home!

Here's the CDC FluView I was looking at--first chart. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

We've all got something, but I don't think it's the flu. off-and-on fever for the kids, stomach cramps,diarrhea, cough, runny nose....now I think the baby has an ear infection.

The kids and I all got flu vaccines (flu-mist) so I sure hope it protects us. Baby is too young, and dh inexplicably opted not to get the free vaccine at work. He's willing now to get vaccinated, but it's only going to happen if I make the appointment and send him in.

We had a cold for a week, and then the flu for a week. Oh joy lol. We had the A strain that is going around, and it was no worse than a cold, so I did not think we had the real flu, but dd tested positive. We had the bad flu of 2008, and this year's was nothing compared to that. :)

Dh and I and ds all had the flu over Christmas; first time for both dh and I. DS had h1n1 a few year's back, but not a very serious case. Dh and I were totally knocked out by the flu, but we got through it and didn't see a doc. We know a lot of people who've been sick; not sure how many have been the flu. We still won't get the shot though.

Silly question, but... If we have had the flu (tested positive, but not sure which strain) we can still get it again this year, right? The same strain or another? After our experience this year I am seriously considering getting the vaccineat my next dr appointment. It completely wiped me out and, being pregnant, there's no way I could do it again any time soon. I know the vaccine matches the strain we had because my dh and mom did not get it and they were both vaccinated.

Silly question, but... If we have had the flu (tested positive, but not sure which strain) we can still get it again this year, right? The same strain or another? After our experience this year I am seriously considering getting the vaccineat my next dr appointment. It completely wiped me out and, being pregnant, there's no way I could do it again any time soon. I know the vaccine matches the strain we had because my dh and mom did not get it and they were both vaccinated.

I'm not sure how accurate this is...my dd did not get it and she wasn't vaccinated. I don't know how she didn't with the rest of us so sick, but she never had no much as a sniffle!

Is this survey and/or map based on actual test results, or just symptoms ? Our entire household had a very rough virus in December. I ended up at urgent care, and I was tested - and it was not flu. If I had been answering a survey based on symptoms only, I would have sworn it was flu, but I would have been wrong.

Silly question, but... If we have had the flu (tested positive, but not sure which strain) we can still get it again this year, right? The same strain or another?

It is possible to get infected with the same flu strain. Our bodies may not develop full immunity to something just because we are exposed to it before. I needed booster shots for things like Hepatitis, TB because the test results show I did not have immunity.

This year's strain is much worse than typical. It hit my family HARD! And we went through the swine flu a couple years ago. compared to this one, it was a piece of cake. All of us were sick for more than a week of bad symptoms (hat least five days of fever, chills, vomiting/diarrhea, and at the end a horrible hacking cough). I slept for more than 24 hours at the beginning. We were confirmed influenza a. Nearly two weeks since we've come down with it and we're just now able to leave the house for groceries. still exhausted with a hacking cough. i highly recommend the shot and I typically don't.

Dh and my two oldest teens got the vax and it's done them zero good. They are puking, migraining, coughing up a lung, clutching their personal box of tissues in one hand and a cup of broth in the other, stomach cramping, 104' fevered, shaking for chills and body aches under blankets, working up a sweat walking across the room for the tv remote just like the rest of us for 6 days now.

Wow, that sounds really horrible.

I just remembered that though I never had the regular flu, I DID get the swine flu from a really ill woman in a hotel on an elevator. I didn't move from my bed for three days with 102-3 temp. I wondered if I was going to live, briefly. I can't even imagine having all the other symptoms you mention here.

Is this survey and/or map based on actual test results, or just symptoms ? Our entire household had a very rough virus in December. I ended up at urgent care, and I was tested - and it was not flu. If I had been answering a survey based on symptoms only, I would have sworn it was flu, but I would have been wrong.

Viral Surveillance: Of 9,363 specimens tested and reported by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories, 2,961 (31.6%) were positive for influenza.

It's based on test results from labs, not surveys. The above statement is copied from the CDC site I linked above. Their data comes from collaborating labs, so it's based on actual blood tests looking for influenza. And of all of the sick people getting testing for influenza, more than 2/3 of the time they are sick with something else--only 31.6% of the samples are positive for influenza.

I ended up at urgent care, and I was tested - and it was not flu. If I had been answering a survey based on symptoms only, I would have sworn it was flu, but I would have been wrong.

I think a LOT of people believe they have the flu, when in fact it's another virus going around. My niece was hit hard before Christmas with a virus that resembled the flu, yet she tested negative. Twice. But most people who get sick don't even go to the doctor, they just tell everyone they have the flu.

I am so torn on the shot!

Ds has very important sports competitions coming up for the next 4 months, the flu would be terrible as if he misses practice (it's every day) it will affect him so much. And older Ds needs to be in his,high school classes or he will fall behind. So I want them as protected as can be.

But.

The only time we've fallen ill with flu is the years we got the shot- and the kids are adamant they don't want the shot! It's illogical, but the correlation in their minds (and mine, frankly) is shot equals sick. I think it weakens their immune system just enough they then get it, maybe? And flu is everywhere here, in northern Virginia.

What would you do, hive?

DH and I stopped getting vaccinated for flu when every.single.time. we took it, we had the disease within 10 days. I suspect there is some element of the vaccine that our bodies do not react well to and it runs us down instead of builds immunity. At any rate, that was seven years ago. We've not had the vaccine since and we have not contracted influenza either. So, we do not vaccinate. Two of our kids is deathly reactive - as in if we were to get them the flu shot, we had to go to the ER immediately for treatment. There are some vaccines they can have - depends on the chemical preservatives used in each one - flu is not one. Therefore, the flu season is always a bit of a nerve wracking time. However, we have a family history - my brother and one of his sons nearly died from reactions to a couple of specific vaccine preservatives - so I never use our case history as admonition to others to NOT vaccinate. That would be fool hardy. Every family needs to make this determination for themselves.

Personally, this time of year, I'm all for practical hybernation and limited contact with the outside world if one can manage it. Dh even told his co-workers that he is not coming in to the office next week for meetings. He's working exclusively from home and hosting conference calls period. He told them ALL to work from home - it's the kind of techie job that lends itself to tele-commuting - for the next few weeks. I hope that helps us not get it.

The local hospital cultured some blood samples right before Christmas. The local infection is not very close at all to the vaccine strain.

We are all on a routine of vitamin C, vitamin D3 (in large amounts - drops), elderberry extract, olive oil, oregano oil (these taste just AWFUL, so I put it in veggie/gelatin capsules with an eye dropper so everyone can swallow whole which has made my family better fans of my natural medicine), and lots of water for flushing the system. I'm doing everything I can to boost everyone's natural immune responses. Other than that, Sunday morning church and meetings with the rocket team will be our only "socialization" the next weeks. The kids have been instructed to NEVER use the church drinking fountain or bathroom. Since we live close, I've actually taken one of the boys home in mid-service to use the restroom. While our bathrooms "look good" at the church, the reality is they are petri dishes because they operate a small school on site and the custodian only cleans them once per week. I consider those door knobs to be "plague" spreaders! When I have to shop, I keep antiseptic wipes in my purse during the season and wipe down the cart vigorously...I use a lot of purell and I don't take the kids with me. Seeing the "Hobbit" was our last "go where large groups of people gather and are shut up together for hours" event for the next six weeks except Sunday morning church.

I hate flu season.

Faith

It's been just about the worst sickness and the longest this house has ever seen. Just awful. I commented on FB just the other day that I have no doubt anyone not in good health to start with or who gets slammed with a secondary sickness during this is a sure bet they are going to end up in the hospital.

I'm betting it will take us weeks to get our energy back even after we finally kick this never ending flu.

:grouphug: :grouphug: I hope you all get better soon. That's awful!

I hope you can keep enough fluids in them. That's the worst thing...dehydration.

Faith

I am very, very sorry to report, but yes, you could get it again. The sad reality of life with viruses is that they mutate and they mutate quite quickly. This flu season began early and it's entirely possible that it will have mutated form before the flu season has run it's course and it will find hosts that it can replicate in and begin spreading again. The best thing we can all hope for in the northern states is a very, very hard winter with frigid temps and lots of blizzards. This keeps people home, keeps schools constantly having days off here and there, and even businesses will get closed down once in a while with emergency services and utilities being about the only ones trying to navigate the mess. It has the wonderful effect of giving society a break from being around each other which helps stop the spread and prevents the nasty bug from finding new hosts.

I've also been reading that many strains of influenza do not respond well to humidity. So, possibly keeping our houses running with humidifiers and putting symptomatic individuals in steamy showers or making steam tents, will help. Influenza likes dry air and dry airways. This is why it is so prevalent in winter.

Faith

:grouphug: :grouphug: to all dealing with this.

I actually heard very little hype on this year's flu season and it has been significantly worse. That's very different from at least the past two years when it was all we heard about and I didn't personally know anyone that got it. Unfortunately, we know a family that lost their little girl to flu :( .

My dd tested negative for A and B flu, but something bad went through our house that had us all laid up for 2 weeks. We're still coughing.

I am very, very sorry to report, but yes, you could get it again. The sad reality of life with viruses is that they mutate and they mutate quite quickly. This flu season began early and it's entirely possible that it will have mutated form before the flu season has run it's course and it will find hosts that it can replicate in and begin spreading again. The best thing we can all hope for in the northern states is a very, very hard winter with frigid temps and lots of blizzards. This keeps people home, keeps schools constantly having days off here and there, and even businesses will get closed down once in a while with emergency services and utilities being about the only ones trying to navigate the mess. It has the wonderful effect of giving society a break from being around each other which helps stop the spread and prevents the nasty bug from finding new hosts.

I've also been reading that many strains of influenza do not respond well to humidity. So, possibly keeping our houses running with humidifiers and putting symptomatic individuals in steamy showers or making steam tents, will help. Influenza likes dry air and dry airways. This is why it is so prevalent in winter.

Faith

This is helpful information. Where did you read this?

This is helpful information. Where did you read this?

Local newspaper. A journalist interviewed a local family doc about it and he said his info is from the CDC. However, I can't verify if the doctor got that information from the CDC or not.

One thing to remember, frequently sanitize your humidifier so nothing will grow in there. I use peppermint and eucalyptus oil in mine so it gives a nice smell to the house but also discourages fungal growth. Just a few drops and then once per week rinse with boiling water and vinegar.

Faith