Jump to content

What's with the ads?


Photo
- - - - -

Cream cheese unrefrigerated, unopened 2 days - is it good?


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 RoughCollie

RoughCollie

    Qualified Bee Keeper

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8939 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Left it on the counter planning to make cheesecake. Still no time, but still on counter. If I make cheesecake tonight, will I kill my family? Keep in mind that only the people who like cheesecake are on my good side right now. :D

#2 Truscifi

Truscifi

    Cat Herder Extraordinaire

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5450 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

No. Toss it. Sorry.

#3 LaxMom

LaxMom

    Apprentice Bee Keeper

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7364 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'm sure it's fine. Short of mold or getting crusty, I don't think cheese actually goes bad. It's already "bad".

#4 Plum Crazy

Plum Crazy

    The Doctor's next companion

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5019 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I wouldn't think so.

#5 AndyJoy

AndyJoy

    Hive Mind Queen Bee

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2400 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Been there, done that, it wasn't a problem.

#6 AndyJoy

AndyJoy

    Hive Mind Queen Bee

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2400 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Do people refrigerate carrot cake with cream cheese icing? I know I've eaten unrefrigerated cream cheese icing that's been out for several days.

#7 Brilliant

Brilliant

    Housewife

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I do this every time I make cheesecake. :001_huh: Not for two days, but sometimes for a full day.

It has to stay out at least a few hours to soften up enough. If I'm making it in the morning, I'll let it sit on the counter overnight. (I probably wouldn't do it if my house was really warm, but I think it's OK at a moderate room temp). If you don't see/smell any problem with it, I'd still use it.

#8 Brilliant

Brilliant

    Housewife

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Do people refrigerate carrot cake with cream cheese icing? I know I've eaten unrefrigerated cream cheese icing that's been out for several days.


Hmm...I always store cake with butter or cream cheese frosting in the fridge if it's going to be kept more than a day. For less than a day, see my answer above. :)

#9 JudoMom

JudoMom

    Disliker of Change

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12685 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'd make cheesecake with it.

Or rather, more honestly, I'd eat cheesecake you made with it.

#10 LaxMom

LaxMom

    Apprentice Bee Keeper

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7364 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hmm...I always store cake with butter or cream cheese frosting in the fridge if it's going to be kept more than a day. For less than a day, see my answer above. :)

I do that, too, if it's warm, but really only to keep the frosting from melting off the cake, not because it would go bad.

#11 Arcadia

Arcadia

    Hive Mind Royal Larvae

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6306 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Depends on how warm your house is. Also if you are baking a cheesecake, I would just look out for any surface molds before using it. The baking temperature should kill any mold. If you are using a no-bake recipe, I would be more worried about mold.

Found this
"Cream Cheese (unopened) 35dF 3 months" (http://www.in.gov/bo...s/milkstore.pdf)

ETA:
Found this so maybe baking moldy cheese might still be risky
"

Though mold itself can't survive high temperature, there's a reason why the FDA doesn't recommend baking moldy cheese. According to "Cooks Illustrated," toxins produced by mold are far less sensitive to temperature changes than mold itself. When you pull your cheese out of the oven, the mold will be dead, but the poisons that can make you sick will still be there. However, there are other ways to save some moldy cheeses
"


#12 GraciebytheBay

GraciebytheBay

    Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

I would toss it unless your house is pretty chilly.

#13 Once

Once

    Hive Mind Queen Bee

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Icing would have sugar which does preserve it to some extent and two days is quite different than a few hours until it softens.
I would toss it.....the cost just isn't worth the risk for me.

#14 RoughCollie

RoughCollie

    Qualified Bee Keeper

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8939 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Thank you for your advice. I've decided to put it in the fridge and inspect it tomorrow for mold. Also, somewhere online I read that it can turn pink -- and not to use it if it does. Oh shucks! My men would just love to be served a pink cheesecake. :-)

#15 LucyStoner

LucyStoner

    Too str8 edge to be THAT kinda stoner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10481 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

I would use it.

I have used similar.

I am alive to tell the tale.

At least it seems to me that I am.

#16 RoughCollie

RoughCollie

    Qualified Bee Keeper

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8939 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Thank you for all of your advice. If I weren't afraid of giving food poisoning to my family, I'd have used the cheese. I decided to be better safe than sorry, and threw it out this morning after putting it back in the fridge last night. Next time, instead of dithering around and bugging you all, I'll just throw the food out. A bright line rule like that prevents me from dithering.

Thanks again,
RC


What's with the ads?