Menu

Does AoPS have tests?

No chapter tests; there are pre-and post tests on the website for each book. I guess one could use the post-test as a final exam.

I write my own tests with problems similar to end-of chapter problems and base my kids' grades on one comprehensive final at the end of the semester.

I know exactly how dd is doing with AoPS as I sit at the table or am nearby while she's working. I don't feel the need to give her quizzes or tests for each chapter.

I have been giving her selected review and challenge problems every three or four chapters, to check retention. She's almost done with the "algebra 1" portion of the Intro to Algebra book. When she finishes chapter 13 I will write a comprehensive "final exam" before continuing through the rest of the text.

Good question. I am wondering if any who have written their own tests would also be willing to share these resources with the hive? I am considering AoPS Intro to Algebra for DS 11 and I would like to test as he goes, not just at the end of the book. If so I'll probably have to write my own as well. But it would be good to have a shared pool of questions to pull from related to each chapter, as well as at the end of 'Algebra 1.'

Good question. I am wondering if any who have written their own tests would also be willing to share these resources with the hive? I am considering AoPS Intro to Algebra for DS 11 and I would like to test as he goes, not just at the end of the book. If so I'll probably have to write my own as well. But it would be good to have a shared pool of questions to pull from related to each chapter, as well as at the end of 'Algebra 1.'

I have written finals - but really, those are just collections of problems from, or similar to, the end of chapter review problems. The "pool of questions" is right there in the book - change a few numbers, and you're good to go. Or even reuse the same problem at the end of the semester; your student will not remember the solutions to all systems of equations, for example, but will have to solve the problem again, showing all work, even if he worked it six weeks before.

The only problems that need to be rewritten are word problems where most of the job is translating the story into equations; for those, you want to invent a new story. instead of "you have 3 oranges, 4 apples, and 1 banana", it could become "Gandalf has 6 fire crackers, 2 dragon rockets and 3 sparklers".

ETA:But I'll be happy to share - if somebody has a good idea how to share pdf files.

Algebra_test.pdf

I have written finals - but really, those are just collections of problems from, or similar to, the end of chapter review problems. The "pool of questions" is right there in the book - change a few numbers, and you're good to go. Or even reuse the same problem at the end of the semester; your student will not remember the solutions to all systems of equations, for example, but will have to solve the problem again, showing all work, even if he worked it six weeks before.

The only problems that need to be rewritten are word problems where most of the job is translating the story into equations; for those, you want to invent a new story. instead of "you have 3 oranges, 4 apples, and 1 banana", it could become "Gandalf has 6 fire crackers, 2 dragon rockets and 3 sparklers".

ETA:But I'll be happy to share - if somebody has a good idea how to share pdf files.

Regentrude,

Thanks for the tips on writting tests. Although I've taken many, I have written very few.

With regards to sharing documents there are a few ways to go:

1. Use a central document sharing site such as Google Docs (now Google Drive) or DropBox. I use Google for this purpose quite a bit.

2. Use this forum's attachment feature. See attached.

The benefit of the document sharing sites like Google is that you have much greater capacity available. The benefit of using this forum is that its super easy and doesn't require any additional invitations to 'view' these documents. I will demonstrate with one sample test I found online. Its an 18 page pdf and the size is 58k. I think our individual limit is 500k.

Algebra_test.pdf

• Like 1

I am attaching three different versions of semester final exams for AoPS Intro to Algebra:

one for chapters 1 through 6, one for chapters 1 through 14, i.e. the algebra 1 portion of the text, and one for chapters 15-22, the material typically included in algebra 2.

I hope some will find this helpful.

ETA: And I have to give my wonderful DH credit for writing those!

AoPS Intro to Algebra ch 15 to 22.pdf

AoPS Intro to Algebra ch 1 to 6.pdf

AoPS Intro to Algebra ch 1 to 14.pdf

AoPS Intro to Algebra ch 15 to 22.pdf

AoPS Intro to Algebra ch 1 to 6.pdf

AoPS Intro to Algebra ch 1 to 14.pdf

• Like 36

I am attaching three different versions of semester final exams for AoPS Intro to Algebra:

one for chapters 1 through 6, one for chapters 1 through 14, i.e. the algebra 1 portion of the text, and one for chapters 15-22, the material typically included in algebra 2.

Regentrude,

Do you have any idea how awesome you are?

Thank you

• Like 3

Which chapters did you do for Algebra 1? I was thinking that chapters 15-22 would be Algebra 2.

Which chapters did you do for Algebra 1? I was thinking that chapters 15-22 would be Algebra 2.

I answered you in the high school forum, but since my answer may be pertinent here, I copy:

Well, DD went through chapter 22 in one year, and that's the year I labeled her math credit "algebra 1" - but yes, you are absolutely right, the material of ch. 14-22 is normally taught in algebra 2. But then, the Intermediate Algebra text contains material often taught as part of precalculus (and that year I called her credit "algebra 2"), and the precalculus text has topics that are not usually included at all, and calculus covers calc 1 and calc 2 material... so the whole labeling is a bit arbitrary anyway. It is probably safe to say that a student who uses AoPS covers more than one normal math credit with each book. I was not really thinking much of where to draw the boundaries, since she would go through all the books anyway and would have all the credits on her transcript somehow - if that makes any sense.

It would be perfectly justified to call the ch. 1-13 portion "algebra 1" on a transcript.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this will be of interest to anyone, but I wrote up a review study sheet for the chapters 1-14 test. (Because of quirks in our scheduling, this closed our one semester covering chapters 11-14 and several chapters in Dolciani Algebra book 1.)

=============

Art of Problem Solving Chapters 1-14 Test Review Tips

(aka: Ack, I don’t know where to start studying.)

This test will include material from chapters 1-14 of Introduction to Algebra. But since the techniques learned in earlier chapters are used to solve problems in later problems, you should expect to see more problems that are like those in the later chapters. For each chapter, review the summary section and work some of the problems in the review section [suggestions in brackets].

Be familiar with how to solve the following:

Linear equations (chapters 3-4 using skills from chapters 1-2) [3.21 a-d, 3.24, 3.28, 4.25, 4.27, 4.32]

Multi-variable linear equations and systems of equations (chapter 5). Know a couple ways to solve systems of equations (elimination, substitution) [5.23, 5.30, 5.31, 5.4.5{in lesson 5.4 exercises, not the chapter review}]

Ratios and percents (chapter 6) [6.32, 6.33, 6.39, 6.43]

Direct and inverse proportionalities (chapter 7) [7.17, 7.18, 7.21, 7.27]

Graphing Lines (chapter 8), especially working with the slope of a line, distance equation and finding the y-intercept. [8.29, 8.30, 8.38]

Inequalities (chapter 9) [9.31]

Quadratics (chapters 10, 11, 13, 14). Know how to solve for values of x using factoring and completing the square. [10.34, 10.40, 10.47, 10.49, 11.35, 11.39, 13.20, 13.22, 13.23]

Circles (chapter 14), especially the relationship between the formulas for a circle and specific points on the circle. Know how to find the center of a circle and the radius. [14.2.1, 14.2.2 {in lesson 14.2}, 14.19]

• Like 3

This is a helpful overview of the first 14 chapters Sebastian. Just curious if you give them a test after the review or do you sort of count this as a final open book test?

This is the review they will do prior to doing the chapters 1-14 exam that Regentrude posted. My review will probably be more difficult than the exam, because I didn't want to only focus on problems that were like those on the exam.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I take the review problems and split them into two documents - a study guide and a test. There are several (like close to forty individual problems) in the chapter review so it is never any issue to have enough. There are normally two or three of the same style problem as well for each subject. This provides a test for each chapter so one bad score doesn't kill his grade. It also means with the solutions manual you have an answer key.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...