Menu

XPOST: Evan-Moor / TeacherFileBox going on sale again at HSBC

Jay3fer

I have copied and pasted this from another thread about Evan-Moor books, because we have had TFB for 2 years, and I like it a lot.

ETA: Here's a link to the sale page!

The sale starts at HSBC on Jan 4, but you can can browse the site ahead of time to see if they have the workbooks / pages you want.

Unlike buying Evan-Moor workbooks, you will have to pay to print the pages you want, but you never pay for pages you don't need, and you can always download just a few pages (rather than just buying a whole book!) if you decide to veer from your regular curriculum. The subscription doesn't include everything they publish, but DOES include most of the "Daily" books. We use Word Problems (math), A Word a Day, Language, and a couple more. It also includes ALL the History Pockets and other "pockets" resources, which are great to have for various subjects.

I have found it to be a bargain, though there is an initial investment, and you have to renew yearly if you want to keep using it.

A few tips to browse the site & get the most out of your subscription:

The best way I've found to use the TFB site is to search Evan-Moor's site for the book you want: http://www.evan-moor.com/

Once you're there, find the EMC # of the book you like: eg Daily Word Problems, Grade 1 is "EMC 3001"

Then you go to the TeacherFileBox.com site and enter just the number (ie 3001) in the search box, and it will return a listof all the sheets (if any) in that book that are available to print (in this case, 30-some-odd weeks' worth). You can preview the pages without a membership, but you need the membership in order to activate the Print feature.

You can ALSO download a free PDF printer (I use & like PDFill) to "print" the sheets to PDF and store on your hard drive. However, you are not technically allowed to do this according to the terms of your agreement with Evan-Moor. You're also not supposed to store up printed sheets to use beyond the term of your subscription. They have no way to check in either case, so it's up to you to use the service in a fair and legal way. :-)

Hope this helps somebody!

This is my first year using it and I'll recommend it also. I purchased it because I was going to be needing 2 of the History Pockets for History Odyssey and the Daily Geo Practice. I was going to try Growing with Grammar and continue with Winning with Writing.. but decided instead to take that money, added to what I would have spent on the HP and DGeo books and get the TFB. That way I would have access to (almost) all the books and all the levels of the books so that I could customize my dd's learning.

This would be an even better deal if you have several children. I just have one and consider it worth it.

I use Daily Language Review, Daily Reading Comprehension, Daily Cursive Handwriting practice, Daily 6 Trait Writing, various other LA stuff as I desire (such as the Read and Understand Poetry or How to Write a Story), Daily Word Problems. I will be using the History Pockets soon which we already know we like. I've used pieces from How To Teach Art to Children - love that book! I can see other ways to utilize it also.. Such as printing some of the bi-lingual early learning books for my dd to practice her Spanish on but I haven't done that yet.

I do use a print to PDF (PrimoPDF) for the units. For 2 reasons.. #1 because there is no way to print "pages 3-5" from the E-M site.. It's either individual pages or the whole unit which almost always include answer keys or instructions which I do not need to print with each week's unit. and #2 because I can print 10 pages per library card per day free! at my local library and it is much easier and faster to have the PDF's on my zip drive and be able to print "pages 2-5" or whatever.. than to log in to the internet for each card and then either waste my free pages printing the whole unit with duplicate pages I can't use.. or take over an hour printing page by page. I know Evan Moor representatives have read and posted on threads here before so if you (Evan Moor) are reading this.. If you would fix this problem I would not need to use the print to PDF thing=) With 3 kids including the 4 yr old and a baby, taking them on the zip drive as PDF's just makes my life SO much easier.. However, as Jay3fer said.. you are not allowed use of the files after your subscription has expired so you do need to delete them off your computer (and zip drive;).

At this time I am definitely planning on renewing my subscription next year.. I can already see a lot I can use with my son too starting in the fall.

I purchased a monthly subscription after I realized I was approaching the HSBC subscription price with the Evan-Moor materials I had already purchased and planned to purchase this year. After trying it this past month, I am going to get the year's subscription now through HSBC. Even at the monthly published rate I feel I got my money's worth. There are a lot of fantastic resources. I like the Pockets, Take it To Your Seat centers, daily workbooks, and actually a lot of the science and language arts resources particularly. I just print the pages as I use them but I didn't see anything in the agreement when I joined last month that prohibited PDF's being saved. Is it possible they took it out? I know a representative mentioned considering that.