Menu

No Spend/Low Spend January week one check in (1/1-1/6)

Runningmom80

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking the best way to do this is to reply with a daily total, (or whatever you feel comfortable sharing, you can just update with a description of your progress if you like) and update it throughout the week. I'll start new threads for the week on Monday.

Feel free to post goals too!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week I have one appointment and I already have the cash in my purse for that. Other than that....I'll be home lesson planning, cooking what we already have and watching Netflix. Next Monday it's back to books and I'll probably only hit the library, so no spend for possibly two weeks already. :)

My biggest challenge is my schedule. Sometime in January, I am back to 3 jobs when my teaching kids back in. That means on M, W, F, I am at assorted jobs from 7:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. I have an office with a fridge at the main job (12:30 to 9:30ish). I will need to plan, shop, store, and transport well.

Question about the "rules."

I have some canned goods at my office (soup, fruit). Some of those cans need a can opener. I don't want to take the one from home - they need it, too.

Is buying something to help reduce buying *more* stuff a violation? Or would a can opener be considered something like kitchen/meal planning?

I am not trying to be petty or trivial, I'd really like some input on the thought patterns of reducing spending.

I think the spirit of No Buy January is for us all to be more aware of how we spend our money and hopefully to come out of the month spending less on a regular basis rather than just a one month trial. It takes a while to develop new habits and a month of more thoughtful spending is a good start. So the purchase of a can opener is quite a smart purchase- as long as you don't go out and buy the most pricey one you can. And I know you'd never do that no matter what month it is! And maybe it's not even spending less as much as it is spending it more wisely. Eliminating fast food but putting that money towards another worthwhile expense is an improvement!

For us, we don't do 'no spend' but we do evaluate our budget and see how much under budget we can come. It's a time to reign in any bad habits that we've seen creep in during the busy holiday season.

I know some people who do a true no spend January. It sounds impressive...but wait. They buy groceries in advance and buy a gas card to use during the month. They use gift cards that THEY BUY for their Starbucks habit, eating out, and even Target. Then in February they go out and spend all the discretionary money they didn't spend in January- because by February 1st they're going through real shopping withdrawl. They don't learn anything!!! And don't save any money.

Question about the "rules."

I have some canned goods at my office (soup, fruit). Some of those cans need a can opener. I don't want to take the one from home - they need it, too.

Is buying something to help reduce buying *more* stuff a violation? Or would a can opener be considered something like kitchen/meal planning?

I am not trying to be petty or trivial, I'd really like some input on the thought patterns of reducing spending.

In my mind, there are no official rules. I think a lot of us are not necessarily going for no spending, just a lot lower than normal. For example, I haven't had a haircut since the end of September, and I had already budgeted the money, so I'm going to go ahead and get it cut, even though it isn't a "necessity."

So, in my opinion, a can opener is not frivolous, but it depends how far you want to take this. There is a blogger who did no spend July for a few years, I'll see if I can find the link for more guidance.

I'd like to join but we can't do a true no-spend since we have 2 weekend trips planned this month. However, I want to be more accountable for where the money goes so that the two trips don't really affect the bottom line. In other words, if we save money during the week then that money can go toward the weekend escapades and not effect the bottom line.

So for today, the only thing I can see us spending money on is a birthday gift for FIL (his bday is today), and I'm thinking about giving him an already purchased Living Social deal for a local restaurant so that would technically keep us "no spend" for today.

I know some people who do a true no spend January. It sounds impressive...but wait. They buy groceries in advance and buy a gas card to use during the month. They use gift cards that THEY BUY for their Starbucks habit, eating out, and even Target. Then in February they go out and spend all the discretionary money they didn't spend in January- because by February 1st they're going through real shopping withdrawl. They don't learn anything!!! And don't save any money.

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous! What's the point of doing it then? It sounds more stressful!

The money we save is going straight to debt, so there won't be any to spend. Plus, we have a very specific goal and deadline, so I think it will help me not go crazy in Feb. I hope it does at least!

There is something to say for being too strict, i totally agree. I used to do really really good for a few months, and then go on a spree. My DH used to call it "binge" shopping.

Excited for this! Just realized the dogs are out of heartworm medication and one dog is due for a vet visit, so that needs to happen. Sigh. Oh, and DH wants to go ahead and buy LIvely Latin Book 2 as it is on sale. Still, pantry is pretty full, and have my meals planned for this week so should be good on food. Tank is 3/4ths full so wont need to fill again til next week. I have a gift cert from xmas for Ulta so that is my fun money :)

Well, we just scored a deep freezer for free! w00t!

I'm going for low spend. We blow through milk, etc too frequently for no spend.

Wonderful! Congratulations!

Joanne - I think a can opener would be a wise purchase. I'd just poke around at the office first to check for one.

I started our new no/low spend year by making a pantry and garden seed inventory. I made a short list of seeds we need to order, so we'll be ready to go when it's time to seed onions at the end of this month. Lettuce, cabbage, and broccoli won't be far behind. Saving money is always more fun with a garden. :)

Okay, here's my official "tally" post for the week:

(I decided to not count groceries or gas. Just "extras")

1/1 - $0

1/2 - $30 copays for sick twins

1/3 - $27 ($7 for prescription $20 for various personal needs)

1/4 - $10 (moleskin notebook)

1/5 - $0

1/6 - $9 (snapfish deal!)

-----

Total for month: $76

Tally post for the week:

(I'm going to round up to the nearest dollar to make things simple)

1/1 $49. (Gas for car and Season 5 of Big Bang Theory for DH's birthday later this month)

1/2 $0 :)

1/3 $0 for me, $16 for DH (lunch and movie w/ a friend)

1/4 $80. (Groceries for the week, and then DH wanted takeout for dinner)

1/5

1/6

Oh, I'd be happy to be in on this. I thought it was literally "no spend" as in using only food that you already had on hand and so forth. I'm pretty frugal on the whole, but I've gotten lazy about watching my costs over the last several months. So far, for January, I've spend $0.

Well, since it's only the 1st, I'm saying 0 too :tongue_smilie:

My toughest part is going to get Wolf to understand the concept. No, you may not buy a Timmies while you're out. No pop either. No, no, no...

That's going to be the biggest challenge.

I could enter $0, but I'm looking at BrainPop, which has a promo code, and MCT's Mud trilogy. DD got money for Christmas, but it's not enough to cover these purchases, and it would seem unfair to take her money away. I'm hoping to teach her accountability, but she's not spending a penny yet. She should be on this thread.

1/1 $0

1/2 groceries, $58

1/3 groceries, $50

1/4 music lessons for the month, $100

1/5

1/6

I want to join! I'm going to try and *low spend* this month. I am proud that we did Christmas with cash that had been set aside, so we don't have a holiday hole to dig out of, but it was tight and that was frustrating. I need to do much better this year. Not quite sure how this works here, but I'll be reading and learning. I'll come daily and edit my tally:

1/1 $13.00 for nice face cleansing soap that should last 4 months (free ship plus free gift)

1/2. $0 today, stayed home.

1/3 $9.05 for honey to make tea (I'm sick and dh got it)

1/4 $0 even though it's payday, but I need to pay regular bills later

1/5

1/6

1/7

Didn't spend at the book sale (referenced on the 52 books thread).

Went to WalMart and spent $71.76 on groceries, including a $3.98 can opener. I have meals planned at home (I plan and shop for that, even though I am not here) and meals for me at the office.

So far, I haven't spent anything. This year. Lol. Yesterday I found the PERFECT bedding for dd's. And it was a great price, only $36 for the quilt and a sham. I had to buy three, so I used some grocery money, some book money, and some fun money I had saved up. I'm planning on redoing their bedrooms for their birthdays (feb and march) so this was going to be an expense soon anyway.

I have my meal plan ready, and plenty in the fridge, freezer, and pantry. The only thing I think I'll need to replenish is milk and fresh fruit and veggies. I'll hit the farmers market Saturday. Last week I spent $20 and got a TON of produce, so hopefully I can do that again. That and $5 for milk, and I can put the remaining $75 back into my books/fun money envelopes.

I did use $48 of my grocery money last week to buy turkeys and hams that were on a big sale. I now have 8 (I think!) turkeys and 3 hams in my freezer. Each one is enough for at least three dinner sized meals, or more if I use them in soups and quiche type things. Plus, it's a cheap way to have friends over. We love entertaining, but it gets pricey food wise. With a $3 10 pound sack of potatoes, one of those hams or turkeys could feed a bunch!

1/1: $48 on FIL's birthday present

1/2: $0

1/3: $0

1/4: $0

1/5: $30... DH left the house and bought Popeye's chicken for everyone and a cigar for himself

1/6:

I'm not counting regular expenses like the mortgage, power bill, etc... I can't not pay the bills. I'm just trying to be more accountable for our groceries, entertainment, and other random purchases.

No spend days: 3/6

Entertainment and dining out: $30

Groceries: $0

Random: $48

Total: $78

I'm in for low-spend January. There may be a few things we're looking at this month other than the basics: our anniversary coming up (nothing big, just dinner probably), may need to buy a new crate for the dog, etc. But we'll see as we go along.

We spent plenty in December, unfortunately, but... nothing for 1/1. :)

You know what will be hardest for me? Not clicking "Buy Now" when I see a Kindle book I want!! ;)

Nothing spent today, Wednesday and Saturday I drive ds14 to work and will be getting a coffee at Tim Hortons. But I got a gift card for xmas so still $0 spent. I have a cheque that should be going through this week, it was written a month ago but the dance teacher very kindly held it for me until this week after putting in both cheques for lessons and jackets on the 15th (this one is for my dance mom jacket :) ) Not going to count it until it clears though, so it may be this week or it may be next week.

Best part my dryer is broken, and I was going to buy one at the end of Feb, but my ex husband messaged me yesterday that he and his girlfriend ordered me a new one and it is due to be delivered around the 8th. So brand new dryer that cost me $0.

I'm aiming for as close to a "No Spend" month as possible. I did take stock last week of anything we did not want to run out of (toiletpaper, toothpaste, bathsoap, etc.) & get what I thought we'd need to get us to 1st Feb. I'm not counting that as cheating, but as making purchases with a definite purpose. Ds#2 starts the new school year on 1st February, so I went over his stationary list & "shopped" our home supply & picked up the 1-2 items we did not have on hand. I know we will need to get milk a few times & what fresh veg we don't have in the garden, but everything else should last until February. I started to reorganize the pantry last night & found we have more food than I previously thought. We won't starve, even though the selection won't necessarily be as big as usual. I've been making one loaf of bread daily in my breadmaker & that helps out as well. I'll post below what we spend, not including things on auto payment, like power, phone, etc.

1 Jan---$0

2 Jan---$0

3 Jan---$6 (2 x 2 litres milk) + $0 to get some reading books (including GTD) @ library

4 Jan---$0

5 Jan---$2 sausage at sausage sizzle for DH+ $28 lotto tickets for us & mil+ $8.90 fish bait for ds#2, but he brought home a good size fish for dinner, so does that cancel out the fishbait cost?

6 Jan

Weekly total so far= $44.90

Thanks again for starting this thread. Accountablility will help me stay focused on my goal. :thumbup1:

Low spend here. I'm trying to throw extra at a credit card debt.

First "victory" was going to a friend's for coffee instead of us going out to Caribou. She was sweet to host, and I'm going to, next time!

My challenge will be not eating lunch out while working. If I could get that under control, I could probably save $25 a week, which would mean an extra $1000 to pay down my debt! I have to think of it all that way, b/c I'm a "fritterer"--I fritter away $ on little, stupid purchases.

I resisted buying a womens devotional i had been eyeing on amazon. So yay me! i found an online (free) devotional which i put into feedler, so now i have a devotional. Normally, i would have just purchased the book (hey i's only 8 bucks, right?)

Baby steps!

So far I've spent $2.03 this month, but that was to get a large diet coke with vanilla at Sonic, so that I can have 10 transactions on my new ING debit card. If I have 10 transactions within the first 45 days (no matter how small), they deposit $125 in my account on day 50. So I'm actually making $125 this week!

Guest inoubliable

So far this year, I've spent a huge total of $8.07. Picked up some groceries yesterday. Tomorrow is payday, but I can only pay the cable/internet/phone bill from last month before it's cut off. *sigh* And the rest will be put aside to pay the rent next week (this is assuming my landlord actually listens to his voicemail and remembers not to try to deposit the check tomorrow).

ETA: Blech. Lists are more helpful for me.

1/1 - $8.07 - groceries

2/1 - $159.39 - Comcast, $15.00 - petrol in the van

3/1 - $950.00 - rent (although this will bounce since I'll be about $100 short, so it'll bleed over into next Thursday with a $50 late fee on top. any ideas on how to log this? Do I just record the returned check fee as the actual expense for the day?)

Then nothing until next Thursday.

I want to join, but I don't want to post that I already spent yesterday and I have to spend today :glare: I guess we are going to have to call it "low-spend; trying for no-spend"

1/1 $51 at grocery store, I was picking up meds for the sickies and discovered some items on clearance that will save me cash down the road, like turkey breakfast sausage for $.49/ lb.

1/2 $105 booking our campsite for this year's Summer vacation. We go camping at the beach every year and it is our only vacation. The spots open up for reservation today at 8am and are all gone at 8:05.

Clearly, I need to get my mind in the right set for "low-spend/ no-spend" I am, however, going to the library today to avoid fines & to feed my reading materials addiction. I am also making my own kitchen cleanser using baking soda and/ or vinegar and using the citrus peels from the fruit my family has been eating. That is pretty frugal, right?

Amber in SJ

Nothing spent today, Wednesday and Saturday I drive ds14 to work and will be getting a coffee at Tim Hortons. But I got a gift card for xmas so still $0 spent. I have a cheque that should be going through this week, it was written a month ago but the dance teacher very kindly held it for me until this week after putting in both cheques for lessons and jackets on the 15th (this one is for my dance mom jacket :) ) Not going to count it until it clears though, so it may be this week or it may be next week.

Best part my dryer is broken, and I was going to buy one at the end of Feb, but my ex husband messaged me yesterday that he and his girlfriend ordered me a new one and it is due to be delivered around the 8th. So brand new dryer that cost me $0.

Wow! I wish MY ex would be so kind. lol

Wow! I wish MY ex would be so kind. lol

Well he won't pay for their needed therapies or extra curriculars, he only sees them 4-6 times a year and messes up everytime allowing or encouraging inappropriate things etc. It surprised the heck out of me. I'll take it though, it is very much needed.

Didn't spend at the book sale (referenced on the 52 books thread).

Went to WalMart and spent $71.76 on groceries, including a $3.98 can opener. I have meals planned at home (I plan and shop for that, even though I am not here) and meals for me at the office.

Oh good I was hoping you didn't buy the $2 one at wal-mart. We bought that one for the apt and I swear I could have done better with a knife!

Dh spent $160.00 on stain for the final two floors but nothing frivolous this week. My frig is out and he loaded it up to take to the appliance store this morning.....that one has to be repaired or get a new one this week so I am off to a bad start.

Dh and I have determined to be more conscious of where our money is going. So I plan to hang around this thread even though I am not officially doing a no spend.

I'm in for a low spend month. My DH and I are living in two different states (he got a new job there several months ago) so that makes our budget really tight. We'll be moving sometime this year(need to sell the house first) so I need to start saving for some minor fix ups on the house and moving expenses. I need to go to "town" tomorrow which is 50 miles one way so I'll need gas and groceries then but I plan to stick to the list and no get any extras

1/1 $3 on the Kindle edition of Les Miserables

1/2 $0