Menu

Sight Words You Can See

HappyLady

Honestly, I would not consider doing sight words at all since sight words can be detrimental to learning to read. Since your child is 4, I would just read tons and occasionally sound out words. I also recommend the PBS show "Between the Lions" which can be found online or possibly on DVD at the library. Starfall.com is also good. Then, when your child is a little older, you can use a rigorous phonics, phonemic awareness program such as OPGTR.

This site has lots of info on phonics and the dangers of sight reading as well as free phonics lessons:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/

Honestly, I would not consider doing sight words at all since sight words can be detrimental to learning to read. Since your child is 4, I would just read tons and occasionally sound out words. I also recommend the PBS show "Between the Lions" which can be found online or possibly on DVD at the library. Starfall.com is also good. Then, when your child is a little older, you can use a rigorous phonics, phonemic awareness program such as OPGTR.

This site has lots of info on phonics and the dangers of sight reading as well as free phonics lessons:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/

Oh goodness! I didn't know that! Thanks for the info. :)

And if you're still not sure of the reasons that sight reading is not all that valuable, read "Why Johnny Still Can't Read." You should be able to find it at your local library. :-)

ETA: If you think your little one is ready, you could introduce her to "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." It's based on the Distar materials, which are true phonics, and it's particularly good for younger children who aren't quite ready for the writing required by most phonics methods.