Menu

aargh! CollegeMan just started to use his new laptop...

JFSinIL

He paid close to a thousand for this thing, it has a touch screen and a mousepad thingie..and after a couple minutes, and even restarting, the mousepad will not respond. Is there some trick we are missing? Or am I spending the day after Christmas taking him back to the electronics store? He goes back to school Friday and has to have a WORKING lap top!

If it's the trackpad type (the whole thing functions as a button as well as the mousepad), does it still feel "clicky"? Mine got stuck down once and wouldn't respond either. I was able to slip a sheet of paper in around one of the edges and get it to pull back up.

Hope you find an easy solution!

Erica in OR

When I first got my laptop I accidentally hit the keyboard lock key. I didn't even know there was such a key. I spent a ton of time on the phone with tech support and was very embarrassed to find out it was such a stupid problem. I also had tried rebooting several times, etc.

When I first got my laptop I accidentally hit the keyboard lock key. I didn't even know there was such a key. I spent a ton of time on the phone with tech support and was very embarrassed to find out it was such a stupid problem. I also had tried rebooting several times, etc.

Yep, I did the something similar on my netbook shortly after we bought it. Whatever I did, it locked the tracker pad. I was able to figure out how to unlock it by Googling.

Does the touch pad have a little rectangle at the top left corner? Try tapping that twice (??) to re-engage the touchpad and mouse pad...

That was my first thought too, but if they restarted the laptop, it should have restarted the track pad, too.

Op, try plugging in an external mouse and reinstalling the track pad driver.