Menu

Be careful if you regift giftcards!

athena1277

Dh's brother's family sent dd a birthday card with a Target giftcard in it. There was no indication of how much the giftcard was for. I went online to look up the amount. Target's website not only told me the amount on the card, but that it was purchased in my city 9 months ago. There is no way they bought it here as they live in another state and were not visiting then. It has to be the one we sent one of their kids back in the spring.

Besides the fact that it's rather offensive, I feel bad that either my niece or nephew did not get anything from us for their birthday. :( While they do have much more than we do, I always send a gift or giftcard to their kids for birthdays and Christmas. I just don't understand why they saved the giftcard for so long. I also wonder if they remembered who gave it to them in the first place.

If it's any consolation, there have been a few occasions when my kids have swapped out a gift card they've recieved for cash to put towards something they're saving up for. I only do this if I'm sure the giver wouldn't mind (ie grandparents) and I don't regift them though,

Maybe they bought it back from their kids? I have done that--paid my kid for a gift card to X store so she could spend that in Y store. It still kind of stinks, but maybe your niece or nephew did actually get something from you after all.

Sorry this happened though, and it is a good reminder for us all.

Terri

If it's any consolation, there have been a few occasions when my kids have swapped out a gift card they've recieved for cash to put towards something they're saving up for. I only do this if I'm sure the giver wouldn't mind (ie grandparents) and I don't regift them though,

I wouldn't mind if they had done given their kid $ for the card and spent the card on groceries or something. Regifting it back to us, though, is just tacky.

This. I often buy giftcards from my kids. I can always find something at Target, but they are often saving cash for something specific. They receive in cash the full face value of the giftcard.

:iagree: My kids do this, too, and I've also never regifted one.

Besides the fact that it's rather offensive, I feel bad that either my niece or nephew did not get anything from us for their birthday. :( While they do have much more than we do, I always send a gift or giftcard to their kids for birthdays and Christmas. I just don't understand why they saved the giftcard for so long. I also wonder if they remembered who gave it to them in the first place.

You really can't be sure the niece/nephew received nothing from you. I regularly swap out cash/different gifts for my kids when they receive gift cards to a place that would be hard for them to spend. (And would do it when older if requested). My parents did this for me growing up.

I wouldn't assume your niece or nephew didn't get their birthday gift. We almost always give our dc cash for their gift cards to Target. It makes it easier for them (they don't have to keep track of the cards) and for us (we don't have to keep track of their cards for them). We just spend the card on our next visit.

I often buy gc from dds when they are from stores they don't normally shop at. My wouldn't use a Target gc because it would be out of the way to shop there. I also wouldn't be offended. DDs get lots of gc from lots of different people-it's easy to lose track!

I agree it could very well be a case of the parents giving them cash for the gift card. Now sending it back to you is a bit tacky but oh well.

I actually have about $125 worth of itunes cards I have to buy off my kids because they don't really have anything they want for their computer or ipads. They were given by my inlaws for dd's bday and solstice and to my youngest son for solstice.

Dh and I mentioned that it might be a nice gift option, but my MIL tends to go way overboard when buying them. We thought maybe a $10 each, instead dd got a $25 one for her birthday at Thanksgiving and then each of the 3 kids got $50 ones for Solstice.

I give my kids cash for their giftcards too. My fil gives each of the kids a giftcard for Kohl's for their birthdays. My 17yo has never found anything she liked at Kohl's and mostly shops at Sears, so I buy her Kohl's giftcards from her. My 17yo is the only one who just doesn't do well at Kohl's.

Aside from that, we haven't had any giftcard problems. Target, amazon, and itunes giftcards will always get used here.

I would assume the parents bought it from them, then forgot about it.

One Christmas I got a gift from MIL that included a card inside that said "Happy birthday [MIL's name]!" We've had many laughs about that one. I pitched the card and gave the item to the Goodwill.

I've done that. I've found all sorts of cards in the kids' rooms when they were little that they had forgotten They are not spenders, and pretty much have all they need. They have given these GC to friends for b'days. We seriously didn't need one more Star Wars Lego set from Toys R Us, and have gifted a few of those. One of my kids re-gifted an iTunes card to a friend that we gave her last year. For his b'day, my dh received a $100 GC to a restaurant we never visit, so we gave it to my mother (who liks the restuarant) for M'day.

I think re-gifting is fine; it even saves the planet. ;) just do it carefully.

I agree it could very well be a case of the parents giving them cash for the gift card. Now sending it back to you is a bit tacky but oh well.

I actually have about $125 worth of itunes cards I have to buy off my kids because they don't really have anything they want for their computer or ipads. They were given by my inlaws for dd's bday and solstice and to my youngest son for solstice.

Dh and I mentioned that it might be a nice gift option, but my MIL tends to go way overboard when buying them. We thought maybe a $10 each, instead dd got a $25 one for her birthday at Thanksgiving and then each of the 3 kids got $50 ones for Solstice.

If you have a Mac, there's also an App Store for computer programs. I purchased my kids' typing program that way.

If it's any consolation, there have been a few occasions when my kids have swapped out a gift card they've recieved for cash to put towards something they're saving up for.

This. My dd got a GC to a clothing store she does not like, so I gave her cash for the card and regifted the card to her friend who loves that store. My dd saved up for boots she wanted, so she still got a gift with that money, but she did not use that exact card.

I don't even remember what gift cards I gave to nieces and nephews last year. For all I know they are getting Target CG again, No idea. I try to swap out Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Target, iTunes, and movie theater ones. ;)

I gave my one of my sister's kids Starbucks last year, so I know you're not talking about me. lol

Maybe they got their kids a gift somewhere else for the amount that you had gifted on the Target card? I know that sometimes my kids get gift cards for Wal Mart, but they find something they like better at Target. So, we buy them what they want and use the gift card ourselves. I haven't ever thought of regifting the card though!

Besides the fact that it's rather offensive, I feel bad that either my niece or nephew did not get anything from us for their birthday. :(

Not necessarily. There have been times when my DC have wanted something, usually a bigger ticket item, and were hoping to receive it as a gift or enough money from birthdays or holidays to be able to buy it. If they were given gift cards to a store that didn't carry the item, I would 'buy' the giftcard from the child and they would put that money toward the bigger gift. For example, DS wanted a game for the Xbox that cost $70. For his birthday he received a gift card to Target for $25, a gift card to Gamestop for $25 and some cash. I bought the Target gift card from him for $25 and let him go to Gamestop to purchase the game.

I have always had my kids write thank you notes, though, sharing what the gift card was used for.

I am sorry that you are feeling sad about it. I hope your DD uses the gift card for something fun.

:grouphug:

Here's my take on GC's. I hate them. if you don't know me or my family well enough to pick out a small gift then please don't send me anything. Sometimes there is something the kids or I want from a specific store and we will request a GC from there, otherwise it just me giving you $$ and then you give me $$. Now it's on a stupid GC and I can't spend it at the store i want on what I want.

My mom does this. That is why I suggested we stop exchanging gifts with the grown ups several years ago. I got tired of getting her a GC to some random store for her to give me a GC in the same amount to a different random store. She tries to be creative and get unique places. Usually its palace I dont shop and have no interest. One year it was Martha Stewart.com. While I love to cook, i can't stand MS and there wasn't a single thing I wanted. Took me forever to use that thing.

Dh's brother's family sent dd a birthday card with a Target giftcard in it. There was no indication of how much the giftcard was for. I went online to look up the amount. Target's website not only told me the amount on the card, but that it was purchased in my city 9 months ago. There is no way they bought it here as they live in another state and were not visiting then. It has to be the one we sent one of their kids back in the spring.

Well, I wouldn't be too quick to judge. I have given my children money before and taken the gift cards they were given, because they didn't want to bother with them. Then, of course, I forget to use the gift card, or if I remember it, sometimes give it later.

This might not have had anything to do with the kids, and the kids may well have gotten a gift right away.

Don't assume the kids didn't get the gift. When our kids get Target gift cards, I keep the cards, and give them credit to spend wherever they want. I write it down and keep track of the amount spent, etc, so they know they are spending their gift money, and who the money is from. I would never regift a gift card, because I shop at Target, but I don't think it's awful to do. Also, if they can be recharged, it is more environmentally friendly to recharge one than to throw it out and buy a new one.

I just checked - yes, you can "reload" them.

Ummm, well I always take my kids gift cards and keep them for them. They get them, and then hand them over to me. When they want to buy something from Target, or whatever store it is, I don't have to worry about tracking down the cards. I just pay for it, with my own money, the gift card, my AmEX or whatever I want at the time.

If my kids buy electronics at a store like Target, I always use my AmEx for the buyer protection. I then use the gift cards for household items like shampoo and soap, that I don't need a warrenty for.

Ummm, well I always take my kids gift cards and keep them for them. They get them, and then hand them over to me. When they want to buy something from Target, or whatever store it is, I don't have to worry about tracking down the cards. I just pay for it, with my own money, the gift card, my AmEX or whatever I want at the time.

If my kids buy electronics at a store like Target, I always use my AmEx for the buyer protection. I then use the gift cards for household items like shampoo and soap, that I don't need a warrenty for.

I wouldn't be bothered, except for the fact that it's back to you does seem a bit tacky. But you don't know what went on exactly... I'd just let it go and be grateful that they remembered your dd.

This.

I don't ever get offended by gifts. You don't know all the circumstances surrounding the gift-giving. They could have bought it back from the kids, or it might not even be the one you gave them. You just don't know. You also just don't know if they're maybe having a rough patch and that was the best they could come up with because they felt obligated to give you a gift but didn't have the means. You can't ever really know all the circumstances of the gift, so just say thanks and let it go. It was a gift. They thought of you. That's really all that's important, IMO.