Menu

Food Allergy Moms

Rebecca

I used to take my son to see Dr. Wood. I thought he was great. After a number of years though, I decided to take ds somewhere local, because, really, there isn't much you can do about food allergies. I do know Dr. Wood has been involved in developing immunotherapy treatments for them, but I don't know if the clinical trials are still going on. I remember him telling me something would probably be available by the time my son was college-aged, which is still another 6 years away. Also, I recently saw something on a health channel about the results they were getting with these clinical trials, and they didn't sound as promising as I'd originally hoped they would be. If I'm remembering correctly, only 11 out of every 40 kids who participated in the trials were able to completely get rid of their allergies.

Anyway, I really liked Dr. Wood and he knows his stuff, but I wouldn't relocate just to be near him.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has any feedback for you who has seen him more recently.

We had a Dr encourage us to see Dr Wood....but after talking with the lady at the hospital she basically said you submit all the medical information and if Dr Wood decides to see you they will let you know. We needed a Dr regardless and decided not to pursue seeing him since it's obvious hard to and until new therapies are available what would he be able to do another Dr can't? We lived close when I considered going. I wouldn't move anywhere for a Dr though.

We have found a wonderful allergist at our children's hospital and we get to see her usually twice a year(food allergies and asthma), so it's a better situation for us anyway. And perhaps in the future if Dr Wood gets some great new therapy going on, we will submit the papers and try to get in.

I think finding someone you have access to is more important. We need some antibiotic testing done and our current Dr will be able to get that done for us no problem. I doubt being such a specialized situation as Dr Wood that I could have the same allergist test him. So look at the children's hospital near you for a local Dr.