Menu

Sonlight question

How much time would it take to do Sonlight core 1 history, readers and read a louds. 6 yo dd is also doing SM 2a this fall. And does anyone afterschool using Sonlight?

I am seriously considering using core 1 this year along with SOTW with the correlation on Paula's site. My youngest is 6 and entering first grade in a private school. Oldest is 10 (5th grade-ps). We have done both SOTW 1 and 2 the past 2 years on audio tape with a few extra readings from the activity guide and rare mapwork. I thought I would start over with ancients since we could now do the cycle a la WTM with a first/fifth grader.

6 year old is finishing 2 regular readers now and will do 2 intermediate readers in the fall.

Carolyn

I'm afterschooling with Sonlight. We're still working our way through Core K but have tossed in all the sequels to books, some other books, and lots of other things. However, since I hear that lots of people take two years to do a core, I'm not concerned.

I think what you plan is doable, particularly since it is my future plan.:001_smile: Be prepared that you won't get through all the activities. Pick and choose a few. Know that it might take longer than a year. My biggest problem is being consistent in doing it and not letting other activities crowd out that special time with my dd. When we actually sit down to read, we can get through quite a bit.

I was planning to spread it out at least for 18 months and am okay if it goes to 2 years.

What I really want to know is the time committment for doing the history portion. I know you are doing Core K but about how much time per day on average does the history portion take. I suspect for the read alouds the time would be about 15-20 minutes and the readers are dependent on her.

Thank you for responding.

Carolyn

Thanks to both of you. We are adding Bible. But not language arts. We are finishing up FLL 1st grade portion and have decided not to do the 2nd grade. I may start back next summer. I will have to talk to her 1 st grade teacher and see what they do in language arts. Science is done lightly and interest led. We are about to start a second part of a mini unit study on astromomy. There is so much I would like to do with them but alas with school not nearly enough time. Since I love history and we have always read to the kids Sonlight appeals to us.

Thanks

Carolyn