Menu

Christmas Breakfast/Brunch?

SJ.

Is there already a thread for this? What are you having Christmas morning?

I was thinking of a breakfast casserole or an overnight french toast but this morning my boys told me that they are looking forward to the puffy pancakes I made last year. They are referring to dutch baby german pancakes. Last year I used this mix but I am out and doubt I will make it to a Williams Sonoma to buy more. Now I am in search of a recipe. Anyone have a tried and true recipe?

I was thinking of a breakfast casserole or an overnight french toast but this morning my boys told me that they are looking forward to the puffy pancakes I made last year. They are referring to dutch baby german pancakes. Last year I used this mix but I am out and doubt I will make it to a Williams Sonoma to buy more. Now I am in search of a recipe. Anyone have a tried and true recipe?

deleted

I always make from scratch.

425 degree oven 15 - 20 minutes

3T butter melted in 9" pie plate (I use glass, and stick the butter in the pie plate while mixing other ingredients. I take it out when it is starting to sizzle, but not burn)

3 large eggs

3/4 cup milk

1/2 t vanilla

1/2 cup flour

2 T sugar

1/8 t salt.

mix in blender, and put in pie plate with melted butter. bake.

I've also used pamela's gf flour mix in place of flour, not quite the same, but my son likes it. doesn't rise quite as much.

When my parents were living we all ate a massive brunch at their house. My sister is continuing the tradition :)

Stollen

Coffee cake

Breakfast strata-----one w ham and Swiss, one with cheddar and sausage

Scrambled eggs for the youngers

Bacon

Scrapple (I find it to be disgusting but everyone else eats it.)

Fruit

Juice

Coffee

Mimosas for the Moms :D

Cinnamon rolls, a mixed berries salad (really, it's just the berries, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and fresh mint), and a vegetarian quiche.

ETA: Also I bought some fancy granola and full fat plain yogurt - just to make sure everyone had what he or she wants.

My sister and her husband don't eat meat, and one of my sons has decided he doesn't like pork, so I am forgoing my normal sausage/grits casserole.

We are having brunch for our main meal on Christmas. We'll eat at noon. We are having ham, hash brown casserole, three kinds of quiche, cinnamon rolls, asparagus, fruit salad, a veggie tray, meats and cheeses, devilled eggs, and rolls. We always go overboard, but its so great to eat on the leftovers all day!

We have a ridiculous amount of food for most holidays because I cater to individuals on special occasions. We're having:

Fruit salad w/strawberries, pineapple, papaya and pomegranate seeds

French toast casserole

Egg & turkey sausage casserole

Cinnamon coffee cake

Chocolate chip pancakes

Bacon

Juice

Mimosas

Obviously everyone picks and chooses, but that's Christmas brunch at out house. Thankfully, most of it can be made ahead and just cooked Christmas morning.

We are being lazy Christmas morning. A local deli has a Christmas morning delivery of a basket filled with bagels and cream cheese, asst. muffins and breakfast pastries. Dh is also doing some kind of crock pot breakfast casserole. I've been debating over making cinnamon rolls. I found a break machine recipe that looks pretty easy, but I have a cold that is knocking me on my butt!

We always have cinnamon rolls. And I make REALLY good cinnamon rolls. But we had to go gluten free this year so we're having smoked salmon and creams brûlée with the grapefruit and pomegranates that are always in the stockings.

You can still have them! http://www.tastebook...-CINNAMON-ROLLS This recipe is posted all over for good reason, they make REALLY GOOD GF cinnamon rolls and they are easy to make:)

edited to add this link to show the easy rolling technique http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/2008/12/gluten-free-cinnamon-rolls/

I still don't know. Ds12 and dh are debating. Dh wants the overnight French toast that I make every year; ds wants to mix things up and have cinnamon rolls. I told them to decide and let me know. Dh is losing the battle right now because he forgot to buy the bread, but he can drive to the store to get some if he really wants to. We'll see. :D

Cat

Our Christmas tradition is to serve biscuits and bacon, but I am counting the days until our friends come so I can serve this meal that I posted on my blog.

http://swimtaxi234.blogspot.com/2012/04/sausage-egg-and-cheese-casserole.html

I really love this sausage, egg, and cheese casserole because it can be made ahead and cooked that morning, plus I LOVE the flavor the swiss cheese adds. YUM!

Hey, I'm making Dutch babies/German pancakes too.

I use 1/2 milk, 1/2 flour, and 2 eggs (for a small batch) but scale up with 1/4 cup flour and milk to each egg.

Add a little fresh nutmeg. Top cooked pancakes with sprinkling of confectioners sugar. Then a little maple syrup, or (what think is better with the powdered sugar) a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

We will also have smoked scotch salmon.

Bill

I usually make sausage cheese balls for Christmas, but I'm sick of that.

I'm also having company on Christmas morning, which I never do, so I'll actually have to get out of my pajamas.

I'm making a sausage and cheese breakfast casserole thingie since I'll have 5 more adults than I normally do in my house, and a guest is bringing monkey bread. We'll have coffee with plenty of spirits available as additives if anyone wants any, and mimosas. I may need it.....the "company" is my husband's ex-wife, her boyfriend and her parents.

Blueberry-stuffed French Toast. Basically, an overnight french toast with cubes of cream cheese and blueberries layered in. DH and I had it at a B&B back when we were first married and I make it every year for Christmas.

Dh and I also had this at the B&B where we spent our honeymoon (St. Augustine). I love to make it on special occasions, including Christmas. We're having it tomorrow.

Sausage pinwheels, a recipe I got on my other favorite message board, cinnamon rolls (the lazy kind) and scrambled eggs. I wanted to do a breakfast casserole, but we needed something that wouldn't use the oven.

My friend just posted a crockpot breakfast casserole on Pinterest. I'll link it for you:

http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2012/01/crockpot-breakfast-casserole.html

I usually make sausage cheese balls for Christmas, but I'm sick of that.

I'm also having company on Christmas morning, which I never do, so I'll actually have to get out of my pajamas.

I'm making a sausage and cheese breakfast casserole thingie since I'll have 5 more adults than I normally do in my house, and a guest is bringing monkey bread. We'll have coffee with plenty of spirits available as additives if anyone wants any, and mimosas. I may need it.....the "company" is my husband's ex-wife, her boyfriend and her parents.

Whaaaat? I'd be hitting the bottle too.