Menu

The word "flu"

plain jane

What does the word "flu" mean to you  

231 members have voted

1. 1. What does the word "flu" mean to you

• When I say "flu" I mean Influenza
    • When I say "flu" I mean stomach virus
    • I say "flu" for anything worse than a cold just to get the point across that I'm really sick
    • When I hear others say "flu" I assume they mean Influenza
    • When I hear others say "flu" I assume they mean stomach virus
    • When I hear others say "flu" I figure they mean anything worse than a cold
    • When I hear others say "flu" I really have no idea what they mean other than "stay away from me for a long time"

I'm realizing that "flu" means different things to different people so I'm curious how the Hive weighs in on this.

When YOU say the word "flu" do you mean Influenza or stomach virus (gastroenteritis)?

What about when you hear someone say that they have the "flu"- do you assume they mean Influenza or stomach virus?

I've had several people tell me there is a nasty "flu" going around. I assume Influenza but I'm starting to think others think it means stomach virus.

I mean influenza, and stomach issues are a stomach bug. Many people just say they have the flu no matter what illness they have. Most people don't care it seems. It does make it hard to know wheni would not mind being around sick people. A cold, fine, but most anything else, not really.

I say stomach bug for stomach issues. After having influenza for the first time, I knew solidly what that was all about.

3 out of 4 of us have the REAL FLU here. We're on day 5 of fevers, hacking, sore throat, lethargy. SO OLD! I have had it worse, but ugh, over the holidays.

ETA - I admit, I get a little annoyed when someone calls a stomach bug the flu. Stomach bugs around here are rarely longer than 2 days, don't involve scary, unrelenting fevers, etc.

I mean influenza if I say flu.... unless I put the word "stomach" in front of it. Influenza is a specific diagnosis, not just anything worse than a cold. There are many strains of it but it is not just being super sick. At least not technically......

Stomach bug is stomach flu, but flu or influenza is neither a stomach bug or a cold.

To make things more complicated, see this:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/coldsandflu/Pages/Isitacoldorflu.aspx

I think, most of us who have multiple symptoms like fever, chills, headaches, exhaustion, nasal congestion, vomiting or diarrhea, coughing (like whooping cough), sore throats, etc are going through a bout of flu.

ETA - I admit, I get a little annoyed when someone calls a stomach bug the flu. Stomach bugs around here are rarely longer than 2 days, don't involve scary, unrelenting fevers, etc.

Huge pet peeve of mine because it's usually accompanied by some assumption that getting the flu shot will prevent you from catching a gastro type stomach bug. I do say stomach flu at times, but I have been trying not to because soooo many people around me think flu=throwing up and diarrhea.

I always mean influenza when I say it. I had real influenza once, and I swore that I'd never misuse the term again. A cold is a cold. The flu is the FLU.

Whenever someone else uses it, I always ask for clarification. It's surprising how many people use the term 'flu' as a blanket for any illness they have.

When I say "the flu," I mean influenza or something that is most likely influenza - high fever, chills, pain, severe illness for a week or more, with or without cold symptoms and digestive symptoms.

I am aware, though, that a lot of people use "the flu" casually and may actually have food poisoning, a severe head cold or they may actually have influenza.

ETA: Now that I'm reading the replies, I have to laugh, because I also don't misuse this term now because I did have the actual flu a few years ago on Easter. I was SO unbearably sick for such a long time! I don't think I've ever (in adulthood) had a high fever for more than five days before. I dragged myself to the doctor and he said I had the flu. This is why I don't use that term casually any more!

When I say "flu" I mean influenza.

I have no clue whatsoever what other people mean. Basis comments on symptoms, some seem to mean a stomach bug, and others a really bad cold. I've noticed that lately fewer people use "flu" for something that just involves digestive upset and no other symptoms.

I mean influenza when I say flu. Like others, I have also had influenza and know the difference. When I see people posting on FB that say they have the flu I wonder how they can even move to type. When I had the FLU I laid on the floor wanting to die. I will sometimes say stomach flu (meaning vomiting for hours on end) but I try to mainly use the term stomach bug instead.

I have had the real flu "influenza" twice. Two years in a row when I had a very compromised immune system.

Once you've had influenza, you never mix it up with just being extra sick.

I was bed ridden for two weeks and in one of the instances I contracted post influenza myalgia ..which meant my joints were inflamed, I could barely walk or use my hands.

That was the flu. :)

The last time I had influenza I was 6 months pregnant, most of those months involving horrible nausea and dizziness, and I had an active toddler. It was miserable, I was in pain and terribly weak. Since then I have been seriously annoyed when I hear anyone with a bad cold or a tummy bug claim they have the flu. I also think it confuses people who think that flu shots are ineffective every time they get gastroenteritis.

Around here, gastroenteritis is generally called stomach flu, and chills, fever, aches (so possibly Influenza, or maybe any of a number of other illnesses) is called flu.

I'm getting old, but this is how I grew up hearing it used. I never thought of it as referring to a mild illness, but something violent, horrible, and something very much to be taken seriously.

It doesn't bother me to hear others use it differently, or to not be referring only to influenza when sing the word "flu".

I had a little bird,

It's name was Enza,

I opened up the window,

And in flew Enza.

Bill

My 9th grade biology teacher used to say this. He also had a dehydrated tree frog he used to put on the overhead projector. He was very zany.

I always mean influenza when I say it. I had real influenza once, and I swore that I'd never misuse the term again. A cold is a cold. The flu is the FLU.

Whenever someone else uses it, I always ask for clarification. It's surprising how many people use the term 'flu' as a blanket for any illness they have.

Exactly! The only time I know of that I've actually had influenza was when I was pregnant with DS. OH MY, I FELT LIKE I WOULD DIE for a while. I spent a week in bed completely miserable but grateful that my child was still inside me!

A month later I just about killed my sister when she greeted me at the airport with a big hug then told me a few minutes later, "I think I have swine flu." (which she did!) Fortunately I avoided all physical contact after that and didn't catch it.

When I say flu, I mean influenza. I do say stomach flu or stomach virus if ut's gastrointestinal. When others say flu, it could mean any number of things. Regardless, I know I need to stay away until they've recovered. Unless, of course, I drop off some homemade chicken soup but stay on the doorstep. :D

Around here, gastroenteritis is generally called stomach flu, and chills, fever, aches (so possibly Influenza, or maybe any of a number of other illnesses) is called flu.

This is what people around here say. Flu is aches, chills, fever; stomach flu or stomach bug refers to throwing up.

Flu means influenza, which has afflicted our family twice in the past twenty years. To say that I'd rather undergo abdominal surgery again than have the flu pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.

*shiver*

I come from a long line of people who call every cold "bronchitis," though, and every stomach upset "stomach flu," every headache "migraine," and everything else "flu," so I do understand that some folks are just that way.

But I'm not. Flu is flu.

OH MY, I FELT LIKE I WOULD DIE for a while. I spent a week in bed completely miserable ....

Yeah, I'm the b**ch who will reply to someone who has just asserted that she thinks she has the flu, "Really? Do you feel like death is actually a possibility? Because *that's* what the flu feels like. Not a really bad cold. Not a terrible headache. Like IMMINENT DEATH."

I only use "flu" to mean influenza. I also grew up with people who called gastroenteritis "stomach flu," but they did know it wasn't the same thing. I don't hear that so much anymore. Now, everyone I know that has gastroenteritis calls it "the virus that's been going around," with a pained look. :p

I always say that you know you have the flu - the REAL flu, not some stomach bug - when you know you're going to die, but you're so happy that you're going to die because at least you'll feel better. I've had the flu once, gastroenteritis once, and food poisoning once. They were all not fun - but the flu was the absolute worst, worst, worst! Plus, it lasts much longer than any of the others!

I mean influenza when I say flu most other stuff I call a bug or a virus. I have had flu quite a few times but I wouldn't say it's as bad as some viruses I have had. I had what I think was probably NoroVirus about 3 weeks ago and boy did I feel like I wanted to curl up and die so I can understand people getting them mixed up especially if they haven't had proper flu in a while.