Menu

Merry Christmas to me!!! Dh& company made a woman cave for me!

FaithManor

On the pretext that the soon to be son-in-law needed to do some shopping yesterday and since he's from Pennsylvania, doesn't know his way around so would need a chauffeur, I was roped into leaving my home for four hours yesterday...I was a bit cranky about it since I had things I felt I needed to do. DD's fiance played along VERY well, therefore I shall have to conclude that I need to watch him closely since he can act so convincingly. LOL

Upon my return, I found that the spare room that had housed TONS of 4-H supplies, the chem lab equipment, and the rocketry team's never ending boxes of gear, had been thoroughly cleaned, their supplies moved to an unfinished room in our balcony area, and the room had been swept, dusted, hardwood floor waxed, all of my quilt supplies that had been stuffed unceremoniously into a closet and were virtually unaccessible were out, and two new cabinets had appeared. Dh made a GORGOUS cabinet out of hickory for me and stained it a light cherry with lighter color scrolled accents. I never knew he was working on it. He had sneaked his wood tools up to his mother's garage and was going to work early in the mornings on the pretexts of "early meetings" and did the work. He often "works from home" at her house because she has MUCH faster internet. So, he stayed late several evenings, "I've got end of the year reports and what not to get done before my vacation ends." All of my fabric stash was beautifully displayed on the shelves of the cabinet and dd organized them by color and type of fabric - batiks, solids, tone on tones, prints....

In another corner was an exquisite china cupboard made of walnut. It's an antique that was for sale at a store that is closing because the owners are retiring. I'd seen it several times when I had been in there picking up presents at their reduced prices and though the price tag eventually fell to $100.00, I didn't bite because I felt like I have to stay focused on the wedding and those expenses. Well, my mother-in-law bought it for me! It is now housing glassware that I've collected for the wedding and will eventually contain my grandmother's china that I inherited.

My rocking chair is in there, my quilt table and sewing machine (which had been acting up and I haven't sewn for a long time because I didn't want to pay the repair bill - dh knew what was wrong with it and fixed it while I was out "shopping" with M.) I just spent an hour in there with coffee and my kindle enjoying the quiet. The boys made a "knock first, mom at work or rest" sign for the door and they dutifully obey this....I don't know what dh did to them, but it must have involved shock therapy and brain washing!

I just had to brag on my family!

Faith

Wow! Wonderful - do you have pics?

No pics yet. But, maybe I can get some this afternoon while Mr. Techie is here and have him download them to the computer, a process I have never bothered to figure out!

The cabinets are lovely and I should post photos of them.

The floor does need to be refinished. We always thought we'd get around to it and since he had always planned to sand and re-stain, when we drywalled in there five years ago, we didn't cover the floor. So, if I post, you'll probably see some crazy white spots on the floor.

It's still light blue which isn't necessarily my favorite color, but it had been middle and youngest sons' bedroom when we first moved in and I'm not inclined to change it. I've got some lovely blue and brown floral fabrics that I'll make a valance for the window and seat cushions from...this makes me anxious to make a trip to Hobby Lobby for pillow forms/foam.

Faith

Dh is going to take pics some time this afternoon. So, I will try to load them later.

I think I should name my room. "Woman Cave" doesn't sound quite right for such a lovely space. It used to be known as "The Alchemist's Cauldron". :D

My sewing machine is affectionately known as Penelope. My piano is Ruby Sue...these two instruments have helped me maintain my sanity through the years of three little boys so close in age. They are like old friends. Therefore, since Ruby Sue had her own space for many, many years known as "The Music Studio", I think Penelope should have her room titled.

Suggestions? Something that combines my love of coffee, chocolate, fabric, and music all into one? I think that would be tough, but the Hive is up to the challenge!

Faith

My sewing machine is affectionately known as Penelope. My piano is Ruby Sue...these two instruments have helped me maintain my sanity through the years of three little boys so close in age. They are like old friends. Therefore, since Ruby Sue had her own space for many, many years known as "The Music Studio", I think Penelope should have her room titled. Suggestions? Something that combines my love of coffee, chocolate, fabric, and music all into one? I think that would be tough, but the Hive is up to the challenge! Faith

A sewing machine named Penelope...does she unsew things at night? But with that idea in mind, along with lovely music and food and color...I'm thinking Ithaka.

I think Penelope should have her room titled....

Suggestions? Something that combines my love of coffee, chocolate, fabric, and music all into one? I think that would be tough, but the Hive is up to the challenge!

Faith

• The Sip-n-Sew

• Beans-n-Seams

• The Rest Nest

• Mother's Tranquility

• The My Family Really Loves Me Room :)

• The Loom Room (because Penelope was weaving [and unweaving] cloth on a loom)