Menu

Recommend a shampoo for teen with oily hair and dandruff?

1bassoon

Anyone got a teen that fits my dd's description?

If she doesn't use dandruff shampoo (Head & Shoulders), her scalp gets quite flaky.

But if she doesn't wash her hair every day, it looks very greasy. (She's driving me crazy right now, b/c she goes 2-3 days without washing - it's just gross!)

Anyone have a brand of shampoo that you - or your teen - likes and has found to be effective?

TIA!

Oh, my. Don't wash her hair for two weeks??????

Wow. I'm not sure she'll go for that. But it might be worth a try. DId it really work?

Yes, it did. It was a vicious cycle of washing/stripping all of the oils, and drying the scalp, so her scalp would be in hyper oil production mode and flaky. It WAS gross. All the time. So, we did two weeks of gross all at once to give it a try. Now, she only HAS to wash once or twice a week because she doesn't get so oily.

I have always been prone to oil and dandruff since I was a teen. Breaking the over-oily cycle took not using shampoo for about a week. Now I rinse my hair every day with water and then put a tiny dab of conditioner on the ends to control the frizzies. I use super cheap shampoo about twice a week.

My second dd has this issue (she also had cradle cap as a baby the worse of all my four). Things we have tried that have worked...

- Pureology shampoo. Works great, it's just $$$.

- Baby shampoo

- Washing her hair in the sink - me scrubbing - and then doing a ACV rinse.

- Using a blend of Young Living oils just on her scalp. I take a q-tip and just dab it on the skin.

Thank you for asking this. But please tell me I'm not the only terrible mother that could never have my oily dd go 2 weeks without washing her hair?? I'm sorry, I couldn't. I would be so :ack2: Plus, she deals with acne and it gets worse the more oily her hair is so she would break out horribly and that would take awhile to go away. Bless her heart.

I will look into the suggestions.

Oh, my. Don't wash her hair for two weeks??????

Wow. I'm not sure she'll go for that. But it might be worth a try. DId it really work?

This may be somewhat irrelevant because I'm, um, well past my teen years, but my hair and scalp are much, much happier when I wash less frequently. I wash every 5 - 6 days or so. I avoid my scalp when I condition. If my scalp is getting a little oily in day 4 or 5 and I'm not really going anywhere important (i.e., I'm just pulling it back in a pony anyway), I use some baby powder at the roots. Works like a charm. Before, my scalp was oily, funky, and flakey and my long, thick curls were dry and frizzy. Once I broke that over-washing/excess oil production cycle, my scalp normalized (no more flakes!) and my hair is smooth and not dry.

I did a little research on shampoo for oily hair a few weeks ago. My dd is twelve and has to wash every other day. I purchased a product called Jumping Juniper shampoo bar from a company called Lush. So far it is working great, much better than any other product we've tried in the past. It wasn't cheap but it is supposed to last a long time.

I did a little research on shampoo for oily hair a few weeks ago. My dd is twelve and has to wash every other day. I purchased a product called Jumping Juniper shampoo bar from a company called Lush. So far it is working great, much better than any other product we've tried in the past. It wasn't cheap but it is supposed to last a long time.

Why did you decide to go with this? Where did you get it?

My daughter also has hair like you describe. Most of the time she uses Head and Shoulders Itch Relief. I help her with washing/conditioning her hair because it's quite long and very thick. We stopped conditioning her whole head, and now only add conditioner to the hair not on her scalp. We wash every other day. We use Tresemme Naturals conditioner.

Why did you decide to go with this? Where did you get it?

I bought it online since there wasn't a store near us. In the past we have used a shampoo from Trader joes with tea tree oil. It worked better than other shampoos but she still needed to wash frequently. I found the Lush product by doing an internet search for the best shampoo for oily hair.

Anyone got a teen that fits my dd's description?

If she doesn't use dandruff shampoo (Head & Shoulders), her scalp gets quite flaky.

But if she doesn't wash her hair every day, it looks very greasy. (She's driving me crazy right now, b/c she goes 2-3 days without washing - it's just gross!)

Anyone have a brand of shampoo that you - or your teen - likes and has found to be effective?

TIA!

This is my hair and scalp. Always has been. I use head and shoulders. It has very much improved since I was a teen but if I use anything else my scalp itches and flakes within 2 days, and my hair looks greasy by the end of the day. With the H&S no dandruff and my hair looks clean all day. H&S is not as harsh as it used to be and has lots of different scents and such now. My dd13 uses it too, ds should but he prefers the axe stuff so he often will use the H&S first and then the axe second because he prefers the axe scent.

Thank you for asking this. But please tell me I'm not the only terrible mother that could never have my oily dd go 2 weeks without washing her hair?? I'm sorry, I couldn't. I would be so :ack2: Plus, she deals with acne and it gets worse the more oily her hair is so she would break out horribly and that would take awhile to go away. Bless her heart.

I will look into the suggestions.

Nope plus with dd in dance the teacher would flip out and the thought of putting in a ballet bun 4-5 days a week with oily hair plus all the gel and hairspray without washing it :ack2: no thank you... and ds too, he has to go to work, he can't have nasty hair for 2 weeks at work. Nope I would rather become dependant on H&S than have ds fired and dd suspending in dance for lack of hygiene.

Have you seen how she washes her hair recently? Calvin's hair was getting very greasy and I was buying him strong shampoos (which didn't work well). I finally asked about how he washed his hair and he was basically laying the shampoo on top (he has thick hair) and then rinsing it off. He'd forgotten how to get his hair clean. His dad supervised a shower and suddenly his hair was a lot cleaner.

Laura

Nothing worked for kid: H&S, Nizoral, Neutrogena T-Gel... even straight TAR shampoo!

BUT, guess what did? Neutrogena T-SAL. You may or may not be able to find it at your drugstore. Sometimes I end up buying it from Drugstore dot com. But it is a miracle. The salicylic acid takes the old skin cells off and it does double duty helping his face as he rinses it. Every time we run out, his hair goes to pot.

a

Nothing worked for kid: H&S, Nizoral, Neutrogena T-Gel... even straight TAR shampoo!

BUT, guess what did? Neutrogena T-SAL. You may or may not be able to find it at your drugstore. Sometimes I end up buying it from Drugstore dot com. But it is a miracle. The salicylic acid takes the old skin cells off and it does double duty helping his face as he rinses it. Every time we run out, his hair goes to pot.

a

Tried everything with DD to no avail either...will look for T-Sal

You could try very very gentle shampoo, one of the natural baby shampoos or a natural organic one. I recently changed shampoo from a natural one to a harsher cheap supermarket one and it has totally screwed my hair and scalp up. Before I could go a few days without washing my hair and now it feels dreadful quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

My 12 year old struggles with oily hair. There are 3 things that have helped immensely.

1. I switch her shampoo and conditioner every few weeks. She alternates between suave and pantene.

2. Used my hair stylist recommendation that she wash her hair with Dawn liquid dish detergent 1x per week. I thought she was nuts for suggesting such a thing and she said it is what they use to clean the animals after an oil spill. It breaks up the oil and is gentle. Works fantastic.

3. Dry Shampoo. It is a spray that helps absorb the excess oil. You can also use baby powder but I find the powder gives a dullness to the hair that dd does not like.