What's with the ads?

Photo
- - - - -

The man selling meat from the back of a truck is in my neighborhood.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 lynn

lynn

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5571 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

It's Christmas time so I dont' have the heart to say my well practiced line of "You want me, to feed me kids, meat from the back of a truck?" Nope, does not spread Christmas cheer. I guess I just not answer the door.

#2 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9425 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

then just say "no thanks. merry christmas." close door.

#3 Ohdanigirl

Ohdanigirl

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2088 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Why is it everyone else gets a visit from the meat truck man. (whine)

#4 aggieamy

aggieamy

My other forum is a book

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4341 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Who is this meat truck man? I've never heard of such a thing. Are you talking about Schwans?

#5 Erica in OR

Erica in OR

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1671 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

The meat truck guy stopped by our house a couple weeks ago too. This guy had a definite truck upgrade from the one who stopped by last time (old pickup with a freezer-type compartment somehow attached in the bed). This new guy had a truck with an actual company name on it. I wondered if the company name was actually real.

DH answered the door this time and politely told him we'd already bought a side of beef for the year.

Erica in OR

#6 Stacia

Stacia

CAUTION! THIS SIGN HAS SHARP EDGES.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10303 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

The meat truck man is scarier than the Mayan Apocalypse, imo.

They did (almost) stop at my house as they were driving by & I was walking down the driveway. While the truck was still rolling, the passenger guy hopped out to give me the spiel. My response, "I'm vegetarian." (Which is true.) I don't think the truck had even fully stopped before the dude was back in the truck & they were speeding away.

#7 transientChris

transientChris

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8217 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

The meat truck is a very old topic of conversation on these boards. I don't know which year we first had reports of this but every once in a while, somebody has a first visit. I know I had my first one either this year or last and reported it on here too. Mine was so silly- I live on a small street that goes nowhere in one city on the south east side. This guy claimed he had a cancellation in another city which is about 25 minutes drive from me passing through almost the entire width of my city and so he ends up on my tiny street- no, I don't think so.

#8 HappyCrazyMama

HappyCrazyMama

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1054 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Last time we were at my FIL's he was talking about getting meat from the meat truck. I thought of the Hive and tried not to wonder about my dinner. :scared:

#9 aggieamy

aggieamy

My other forum is a book

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4341 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

The meat truck is a very old topic of conversation on these boards. I don't know which year we first had reports of this but every once in a while, somebody has a first visit. I know I had my first one either this year or last and reported it on here too. Mine was so silly- I live on a small street that goes nowhere in one city on the south east side. This guy claimed he had a cancellation in another city which is about 25 minutes drive from me passing through almost the entire width of my city and so he ends up on my tiny street- no, I don't think so.

So it's just a guy that is selling meat out of the back of a pickup truck? That seems like questionable behavior. Is he a farmer or something?

#10 TammyS

TammyS

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

The meat truck doesn't bother me soooo much (though I don't see the appeal, since when the guy told me the prices, they really weren't great).

Where I live, there is a lot of seafood. You will frequently find guys selling seafood off the back of their pickups - in the summer.

What's with the ads?