Menu

Party food: am I missing anything?

Rivka

We are having a Christmas party on Saturday for about 40 people including kids. The party is scheduled 5-8 but I am expecting that people will probably stay later. I am REALLY excited - it's a great bunch of people and I think it will be crazy fun. I have not, however, started shopping or cooking. :scared: (Some cleaning has been done - that's my husband's job.)

My menu is not completely finalized either. Could you check this over and tell me what I'm missing? We have vegetarians coming.

Deli tray with meats, cheeses, rolls

Hungarian mushroom soup (homemade, vegetarian)

Cheese-sausage balls (hot appetizer passed on trays)

Mini puff pastry triangles stuffed with artichoke hearts, spinach, and cheese (hot appetizer passed on trays)

Little phyllo cups with cream fraiche, smoked salmon, and dill

Raw vegetable platter with dip

Brownies

Lemon bars

Mulled wine

Beer

Soda

Apple cider

Does this sound like enough? Is this a balanced menu? Should I make a third dessert? I am guessing that some people will bring baked goods, so we could put those out if we don't seem to have enough sweets.

Um, you are missing my invitation! Wow, that sounds delicious.

The only thing I might suggest is something a little more kid-friendly. At least you can say it's for the kids, but even some adults are picky about things like salmon and artichokes and mushrooms. (Crazy people, I say.) Maybe crostini or chicken satay or meatballs. Or even pigs in a blanket, if that doesn't offend your sensibilities.

Um, you are missing my invitation! Wow, that sounds delicious.

The only thing I might suggest is something a little more kid-friendly.

I agree that it looks delicious!

When the PP mentioned something more kid friendly, I thought of these: http://www.hispanickitchen.com/profiles/blogs/canastitas-caprese-open-faced-empanadas-with-tomato-basil-and

Wonton wrappers with tomato, basil, and mozzarella. Yum. :) Like pizza bites, but you know, not pizza bites.

I agree that it looks delicious!

When the PP mentioned something more kid friendly, I thought of these: http://www.hispanick...omato-basil-and

Wonton wrappers with tomato, basil, and mozzarella. Yum. :) Like pizza bites, but you know, not pizza bites.

Oh wow, those look DELICIOUS. And so pretty! Have you made these? Wonton wrappers work the same as empanada shells?

Hmm. I could also substitute a layered potato, tomato, and cheese casserole for the mushroom soup, as being more picky-eater friendly. That's usually my go-to potluck dish. I wish I had two ovens. I was thinking that picky eaters or kids could have meat or cheese on rolls, raw vegetables, and brownies. The cheese-sausage balls are also not demanding.

Oh wow, those look DELICIOUS. And so pretty! Have you made these? Wonton wrappers work the same as empanada shells?

I haven't made them yet. I just saw it on Pinterest two days ago. The pin said it used wonton wrappers, so that's what I thought they were until just now. Some light googling suggests that you can use wonton wrappers to make empanadas, so I'm thinking they work in similar ways.

I was thinking that picky eaters or kids could have meat or cheese on rolls, raw vegetables, and brownies. The cheese-sausage balls are also not demanding.

You're probably right. I think I tend to cater too much to potentially picky eaters. And the puff pastry will probably draw some folks in who otherwise wouldn't eat artichokes and spinach.

Is the Hungarian mushroom soup the one from Moosewood Cookbook? I love that soup.

I know everyone has been on tenterhooks waiting to hear how it turned out. :lol:

Every drop of the mushroom soup got eaten. Halfway through the party I found that a guest had carried the pot into the kitchen to scrape out the last little bit. Every drop of the mulled wine got drunk, likewise. The spinach-artichoke-puff pastry things and the smoked salmon cups all disappeared too. The brownies all disappeared. We have leftover lemon bars and cheese-sausage balls. A lot of the meat-and-cheese tray was wasted, and the veggie dip, but the veggies themselves mostly got eaten.

At the last minute I added hummus and pita bread, and a cheese tray. The cheese tray got all eaten up, but only a little of the hummus.

That sounds yum, recipe???

Peel potatoes, slice them thickly, and boil them until they are just tender when pricked with a fork. Drizzle some melted butter in a baking pan, lay down the potatoes in a single layer, and salt and pepper them. Then slice tomatoes (in the winter, plum tomatoes are your best bet), layer them on top of the potatoes, and sprinkle them with basil. Cut slices of mozzarella cheese and layer them across the top, then drizzle on more melted butter. Bake at 325 for half an hour or until the cheese is bubbly. It's one of those recipes where the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts - it's more delicious than such a simple set of ingredients has any right to be.

Peel potatoes, slice them thickly, and boil them until they are just tender when pricked with a fork. Drizzle some melted butter in a baking pan, lay down the potatoes in a single layer, and salt and pepper them. Then slice tomatoes (in the winter, plum tomatoes are your best bet), layer them on top of the potatoes, and sprinkle them with basil. Cut slices of mozzarella cheese and layer them across the top, then drizzle on more melted butter. Bake at 325 for half an hour or until the cheese is bubbly. It's one of those recipes where the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts - it's more delicious than such a simple set of ingredients has any right to be.

Actually, it sounds great to me! We love all the ingredients. We eat ALOT of potato dishes...