Menu

What would you buy my MIL for a gift?

Samiam

-Age mid-60's,

-Works at home for a major corporation (ie no need for work clothes, or commute gifts, like coffee mugs)

-Devoted to my children (only grandchildren) but it's too late to order a photo book or calendar (things I've done in the past). She is six hours away.

-Husband is sickly, cancer stuff going on...spends any free time caring for him, taking him to Dr' appointments, etc, as they are pretty old school in terms of wife does everything, while DH sits on the couch (he's sickly, but it's not always, some days he's completely fine or in denial)

-Not into technology, has an iPhone 3 but can barely manage to make calls let alone anything else. A MP3 player we bought her a few years ago is unused

-They have their own booth at a flea market on the weekends, so she already has purses, jewelry at wholesale prices, and of course, she gets first dibs on any of her inventory

-Does not have space for anything in her house, in terms of photos, decor, etc...it's already wall to wall with that, and plus her DH is a major pack rat (seriously, when we watch Hoarders, we think of him, as in spare bedroom and screen in porch, and garage all packed from floor to roof of crap he's collected from curbs, sales, etc with the intent to fix up and resale eventually, for real!!)

-Is a horrible cook and is a straight from the box to microwave kinda person, so kitchen gadgets, etc will go unused (thought about a basic Keurig but know it would not be used).

-Food gifts would not be needed, as along with her Dh's pack rat habits, he also over shops for groceries...soup on sale? Great, he's getting 20! Little Debbies cakes on sale? Great, he's getting 20 boxes! Etc...Their cupboards, freezer, fridges etc are packed to the gill with food, treats, snacks, etc...for just the two of them.

-No hobbies, doesn't do any crafty things....if she has free time, she's mostly on the internet (Facebook) or watching TV.

-In general, if there is anything she needs/wants, she tends to just go get it.

and finally, we are on a tight budget :). I'd like it to be around $20 and something I can get from Amazon so I can get it 2-day shipped for free :).

Any ideas?

One of the gifts I gave my MIL was a journal that was printed with a photo of sunrise at her favorite place and her favorite bible verse printed over the photo. I actually got it free with a coupon, only had to pay for shipping. It is beautiful, I can't wait until she opens it. But you don't have time for that unless you don't mind it being late?

Since she is a caregiver, what about some pampering... gift card for facial or massage, or gift basket of bubble bath/candle/loofah?

Since she works from home, she might really appreciate comfy mules that still have some support, like these:

http://www.payless.c...playName=Womens

Honestly the best gift IMO would be freezer meals if you are able to cook that way? Depends when you will next see her, but bringing them 8-10 ready to cook healthy yummy meals might be a huge blessing to them while they are dealing with illness, especially since she is working and not into cooking.

Something pampering, since she's a caregiver and it sounds like she doesn't really need anything else.

Maybe some pretty, luxurious soaps or bubble bath?

Lavender eye pillow (I love mine and use it all the time!)?

One of those scented bean bags you can heat up in the microwave and wrap around your neck?

Some yummy holiday tea with a few cinnamon sticks?

A gift basket with candy or fruit? We send MIL and FIL a gift basket from www.harryanddavid.com every Christmas, and they love it.

:001_smile:

ETA: just reread the post and saw the "no food gifts" comment - missed that the first time