Menu

I need a side dish for Christmas Eve

HollyDay

Anyone like sweet potatoes? I LOVE this recipe. It's from my favorite restaurant in Washington DC (Old Ebbitt Grill). Even my non sweet potato eating sister had seconds. It's a perfect balance of sweet and savory. I can't wait to eat it again this year! And it's very easy. ETA: Sorry for the weird formatting. I copied it from a web site that has tables in it.

Sweet Potato Gratin

2 - 3 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

1 tbsp

chipotle in adobo sauce

1/4 cup

brown sugar

1 quart

heavy cream

1. Puree/blend chipotles to produce smooth paste.

2 Combine chipotle puree, cream and sugar.

3. Layer sweet potatoes in shallow (2 inch side) baking dish, overlapping layers slices of sweet potato.

4. Pour some of the cream mixture over each layer. Three or four layers is sufficient.

5. Do not oversoak potatoes. Cream should not cover sweet potatoes completely.

6. Cover with foil and bake 350 about 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20-30 minutes until top has crusted and potatoes are tender. Mixture should be bubbly. Cool somewhat before serving.

Variations:

1. A mild cheese (mozzarella, pepper jack) can be added between layers and on top.

2. A sparse amount of thinly sliced sweet onions or green onions can be sprinkled between the layers of sweet potatoes.

3. Sour cream could be added between the layers with or without pats of butter.

Do you have a recipe for squash casserole???

5-6 yellow squash boil or steam just until tender. ( we usually do about 8-10, because everyone eats at least two large servings)

drain well, you don't want extra water.

Mash w/ a potato masher-small chunks are ok, but we like it mushed really well.

Add 1 med onion chopped.

Add 1 beaten egg.

Saltine Crackers (start w/ 5.. you want the mixture moist, but not wet) If you are gluten free, just leave them out.

Add at least 1 cup of cheddar cheese (or more :D )

salt and pepper to taste.

Bake in casserole dish at 350 about 30 min or until done.

My family will forget there is steak on their plates when we make this, and just eat this! They also like to add cheese to the top.

Corn and Broccoli Casserole

1 10 oz. package frozen corn, thawed and drained

1 10 oz. package frozen broccoli, thawed and drained

1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, colby, american, whatevery you are into)

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1 beaten egg

1/4 cup butter, melted (divided)

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon lemon pepper

1 cup coursely crushed Ritz crackers (divided)

Place the broccoli and corn in a large bowl. Add the 1/2 cup crushed crackers, the cheese, whipping cream, egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, garlic salt, and lemon pepper. Stir to combine. Place in a 1 1/2 quart. round casserole dish or pie pan. Sprinkle with remaining crackers evenly over casserole, drizzle with butter, and bake in oven at 350 for 25 minutes until bubbly. Serves 6.

You can always double, triple it to accomidate the number of guests you have. This is always a hit with our family and we typically have it on thanksgiving. We do tamales and traditional Mexican food on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day an easy pot roast with mashed potatoes with my fam, but my mother-in-law does a traditional turkey meal, so maybe'll I bring this :).