Menu

Safe Email Accounts

Country Girl

My kids are asking for their own email accounts, and I think it would be a good idea so they aren't always into my account. However, I don't think I want them to have a general yahoo, hotmail, etc. account. I'd like to find an email provider that provides a safer environment for them and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks!

This might not be what you want, but I signed my DD up with a gmail account, and we've been very pleased with it. Gmail has very reliably caught spam for me for years. DD is not allowed to use her email address for signing up for anything, and I have it set so that I get a copy of everything she receives, so I can view it first if need be.

This might not be what you want, but I signed my DD up with a gmail account, and we've been very pleased with it. Gmail has very reliably caught spam for me for years. DD is not allowed to use her email address for signing up for anything, and I have it set so that I get a copy of everything she receives, so I can view it first if need be.

This is what dh did for dd. He sees everything that comes into her account. She doesn't check it very often, so usually dh is reminding her that someone sent her an e-mail.

Mine have gmail accounts as well, mostly so they can use Google Talk with their tablets. They enjoy being able to video conference with each other, a step up from the walkie-talkies I had as a child. :D

My DD has a gmail account. My wife set it up for her and DD knows that my wife knows the password and can check it, at any time. DD is a "Distance Learning" student, so she receives things from her school and sends things to her school, via email. Actually, I wish DD would check her email more frequently....

I set my kids up with gmail accounts and have everything they send or receive forwarded to my outlook. I have it siphoned to a folder and rarely actually read what is in there, but feel more comfortable knowing I do have access if necessary.

Yes, most websites require kids to be thirteen and up to to the COPA laws. There is more a website has to do to protect children if they are under the age of thirteen.

My dd has an AOL account for kids. I monitor it to see who she's talking to, what she's saying, and how often she uses it.

Thanks for the info! I think we'll just wait until he's 13, since he'll be 13 next month anyhow. If we set one up for my younger son, we'll do something similar to what you mention above. We'll "own" the account, and let him use it if needed. But he's only 10 now, so he doesn't have much need. My oldest, on the other hand, could benefit because there are a significant number of boy scout e-mails that pertain directly to him, and right now they're all going through DH and me.

I have my kids' accounts set up so that I receive a copy of every single email they get.

I see gmail can offer that, so can outlook.com. Actual setup steps depends on your current setup for reading email.

if my kids receive something I don't want them to see, I delete it, and it's off the server. As long as I get to it before they do, and that's generally not a problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jbarkocy

We recently created a Zoobuh account for our 11 year-old who had been asking for her own email account. We've had it about 3 months now and we all love it! It is $12/year, so not completely free, but it has it's own interface and no spam or advertising as with Gmail or Yahoo. We also place all contacts into her address book ourselves (via the parental control area) - she cannot add them herself, and can't send or receive to anyone who is not in her contacts list. We have a password of our own for these things. We have also set it up so that we see all email she sends and/or receives. She loves keeping in touch with faraway friends and family and we love to provide her with some controlled freedom. It's a win-win.

www.zoobuh.com