Menu

Dr Hive?

Pamela H in Texas

Okay, for several days, I've had this pain near my clavicle. When it is worse, it radiates down my arm and up my neck (towards posterior). I was sure it was some kind of muscle pain. I figured maybe I did something to it after sleeping wrong. My daughter suggested an overcompensation because my hip (on the other side) has been hurting SO badly lately. Sounded reasonable to me.

But it isn't going away. I was trying to rest it a good bit because the pain is so bad. It is extremely sharp, often radiates. My mobility is effected.

Then tonight...there was an issue with one of the children. I'm gonna leave it at that. Let's just say I was in tears (though I tried to hide it from the kid so as not to scare her/him). I cannot think/see straight because of the pain. It is...I can't even explain. It is bad. Even when it isn't horribly radiating, my arm feels like it is hot (it isn't to someone else). And though I can move my fingers fine, they are the slightest bit swollen. However, when I say mobility is effected, I mean I thought I'd pass out from the pain of signing my 5yo's behavioral sheet in his binder. Just that sort of reach was too much. My daughter drove to gymnastics tonight. She hooked my seatbelt. I used my foot to close the door. I can't find a position that works. I can't bend my head to that side or lift my arm. Riding in the van was awful.

My hubby suggested a pinched nerve or something. I've heard of brachial plexus nerve pain; but when I looked it up online, it looks like it is due to trauma. Surely, I'd remember such trauma causing the pain. It probably isn't from wrestling with kids or something. I did have an incident with one of them the other day; but again, I don't remember that being THE issue and the immediate pain seems like it was short lived.

We do not currently have insurance. If it doesn't go away in a few days, I'll probably have to go to the clinic. But I'd rather not go there unless absolutely necessary.

So what I figured I'd do for now is use a sling in order to discourage use of that arm.

Monkey has a longer visit with her bio parents tomorrow because she'll miss the next two weeks due to holidays so that should help. My daughter will get her ready so I don't overdo there.

I'm taking medication, of course.

I can ice it.

Any other ideas what it might be? Any other ideas for relief, especially of the worst pain (lasts hours when it gets that bad).

HELP!?!?!?!

I have had pain from a pinched nerve that caused me mobility issues, as well as nausea, etc. Pinched nerves can be very painful! I've never had a problem near my clavicle, though. I'm usually affected in the shoulder blade area or the area where my neck meets my shoulder... I usually take a muscle relaxed nowadays, but I used to see a chiropractor. I can't say that it helped much. I would give it a day or two and then go to the clinic. I have had pain for weeks and weeks with a pinched nerve. Sometimes the muscle relaxers get rid of it quickly for me.

I get nerve problems from muscle spasms and they hurt like that. Never had one in the clavicle area, though, more like my neck and shoulder with the pain running down my arms. Like dsmith said, the only thing that helps me is to take a muscle relaxant which stops the muscle from spasming and then my nerve pain gets better. I take generic Skelaxin and it is non sedating, unlike the old muscle relaxants.

Shoot! My phone keeps kicking me off the web page and won't let me finish my post. Anyway, I didn't mean to be abrupt. I was wondering if anything in that link rings a bell. With that much pain, you have a potentially serious problem. I think I would go in sooner rather than later. I'm sorry.

ETA: the thing that worries me is that you started out with the hip pain. Osteomyelitis begins with bacteria in one part of the body and moves through the blood to the bones. Is the hip a chronic thing or something more recent as well?

I wanted to say though that before you just think it is a pinched nerve or muscle pain you really need to have your heart checked out. Shoulder pain is a symptom of heart attack in women. I can not stress this enough.

Jean, that's a good point. I've heard that too.

This is one problem that could never be diagnosed over the internet. You really need a physician. As well as all the above suggestions, one should also wonder if it isn't a thrombosis (blood clot) based on where the pain is and the swelling in the hands and arm. Usually heart pain doesn't make it more difficult to use or move the arm even though the pain can be in the arm. But there's nothing clear cut, especially in women. Is there a free health clinic in your town? You could at least rule out some of the most serious causes by starting there.

THanks y'all...

I did wonder about it being circulatory. However, I didn't figure it was. I never would have guessed heart as it is on my right side. Well, and it has been so long, it seems like I would have keeled over by now.

Anyway, I have a number of issues, it seems. My hip pain is chronic, unfortunately. It isn't the only pain either, just been more extreme lately and the one bugging me the most so what is what stuck out to my daughter who has to hear me whine when things are the worst. I just wish this pain hadn't decided to sit right here as some pain truly is worse than other pain. I keep trying to find a position, a pressure, a something to get it to STOP screaming at me. No can do.

Y'all kinda have scared me. I gotta be here and healthy for these kiddos!

That sounds like the pain I had from a herniated disc pressing on my nerve root for my arm. The only relief was putting my arm over my head. I also lost significant strength in that arm due to nerve damage. Face a wall and try to hold ypurself off the wall with one arm then the other. I hadn't realized how much strength I'd lost til I smacked my face on the wall trying that. Good luck and prayers! That was he most excruciating pain I had ever experienced!

Well, I certainly hope your doctor is right. The pain you describe reminds me of my nerve pain (different areas though--Ulnar nerves in my arms are usually my affected nerves). I was prescribed Neurontin. Aleve helps me some and you wouldn't need a prescription for that. Cold/heat alternating might help if there is entrapment. Nerve pain is really horrendous; I hope it's a pulled muscle. Will you have insurance anytime soon?

She did say to alternate cold/heat. Every 20 minutes.

Today I'm back to just miserable instead of about to scream and pull off my head kind of pain. You'd think I'd have a little more relief than that with a muscle relaxer and two pain meds. Or maybe I'm asking too much.

If I'm still this bad Friday, I'll go back again. I seriously could use some relief.

One reason I think the dr might be right is that it is worse standing up. That makes sense to me as it takes muscles throughout your body to be upright.

My little monkey is being extra naughty and into everything this morning. <sigh> I'd get the littles to chase her, but they get irritated by her flitting from one naughtiness to another. Guess that is why God gave toddlers to adults instead of 6yos.

Given that a cardiac cause has been ruled out, there are a few different type muscle spasms, trigger points, or thoracic outlet probems that could be causing your symptoms. You could see if a physical therapist or chiropractor would take cash payments and go for an evaluation. It is possible given that you described a somewhat sudden onset, that you have your clavicle rotated or a rib/vertebrate out of place.

Or could be a muslce spasm: Here is something I found that kind of sounds like your referral pattern of pain you are describing. http://www.triggerpointtherapist.com/blog/scalene-trigger-points/scalene-scalenus-trigger-points-upper-body-troublemakers/

A lot of times, muscle relaxors or anti-inflammatories need time and steady dosing to be the most effective. Also, sometimes taking extra calcium (like chewing Tums) and drinking lots of extra water can help.

The best position for pain relief can be with a small pillow against your side so that you have a slight space between your upper arm and your chest....using ice in this position is helpful.