Menu

Seriously people, why do you let your children climb UP the slide?

skeeterbug

It's just plain irresponsible. And dangerous. And rude. I'm so tired of my kids having to wait while YOUR kids climb up. And if they don't make it they have to try again and again, with no parent there to make them get out of the way. And then they get to the top and my kids either get climbed over or have to wait while your kid slides down which is what my kid wanted to do in the first place. Slides are obviously for going down. I don't even let my kids climb up the slide in our own backyard. It's so ingrained in them now that they are always telling kids at the playground 'Slides are for going down, not up.'

And don't get me started about letting your kids go barefoot at the playground. So irresponsible I just have no words.

ETA: ;) ;) ;) ;)

:biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

Joking. Really. :(

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually a good exercise for developing muscles. My son was in PT and she encouraged walking up the slide. Of course, we didn't let him do it when there were other kids wanting to go down the slide, but when we have the park to ourselves, climb, explore, and PLAY away!

I allowed them to climb up slide because it is fun. However, they were NOT allowed to do so when other kids were using slide. We purposefully timed our playground break to be at least crowded times.

What is the problem with going barefoot as long as the area does not have broken glass? I walk around my own neighborhood and neighborhood park barefoot. Are there signs at your park prohibiting bare feet?

Well, I think you have encountered rude behavior I would not allow, but I always let my kids climb up slides. Why NOT? Of course they should not if people are waiting to go down, and they need to wait their turn and negotiate it with other children. They need to do it in a safe and friendly way. But slides are not single use items. They are versatile. As is much at any playground.

Sorry to be oppositional. :) I agree about the barefoot thing, but honestly, don't care if someone else is doing it that is their problem. My kids keep their shoes on (99% of the time), or they put them back on when I see they have them off. :)

There are so many good reasons to let a kid climb up a slide. The feeling of conquering a difficult task. The having to work out how to do it. The negotiation with other kids.

I've been to playgrounds where the kids work out one slide goes up, other down. It works.

I agree.

OP, you are getting far too worked up over something that simply is not a huge deal. It is not irresponsible or rude or dangerous. The only time it is rude is when people are waiting, and I do agree with you there.

Dawn

Because it is fun. As a kid it was so daring for all of 8 years old to prove to mom you wouldn't get hurt if you did it.

I let my kids do it at home and we play barefoot in our backyard, not at the local park though.

I have no problem with letting my kids go up when we are alone, but the second another child appears, it is one way traffic only! Otherwise I agree with you completely-- it is a huge safety is AND a rudeness issue, no different from cutting in line. (What is up with parents who say nothing to their kids who just shove my kids to the side as they are climbing the ladder, or even at the top? Yes, my kids are slower than your hyper, out of control kids with apparently no manners. They get a turn anyway). Addressing it later at home does not work with kids that young-- kids are immediate creatures. Your child may be smart. You might have "an amazing conversation" about it later at home. But trust me. Unless it is connected directly to the behavior, they don't get it at that age. That's why they are still shoving my kids at the top of a slide.

Yes, it's annoying, however, I don't have a problem with it. Here's why. If I'm standing there waiting for my own child to slide down and someone else's kid is attempting to climb up I tell them to get off and go around. If they ignore me or smart back I immediately call out, "Who's child is this!" The parent usually doesn't hear me or does and won't respond, but the offending child immediately gets off and goes around. I then give them a, "Thank you so much for sharing the slide with the other children waiting to use it."

Some may call that behavior obnoxious...I call it teaching my dc that they don't have to put up with rude, self-centered behavior from other dc.

Edited to add: I agree with the others that if there is no one else waiting to come down or if the children as a group have agreed that they are all going up or taking turns I don't get involved. It's only when one or two children are hogging the slide and have an obvious dis-regard for the others that I step in. Oh, and I really don't give a flip if someone else wants to let their kids run around barefoot...mine do at my home all summer long.

Yes, it is rude. I disagree with all of the rest, though. It is not any more irresponsible or dangerous than climbing the ladder to get to the top of the slide. My kids are taught to pay attention to others' wants and needs and to negotiate, though.

And who cares about bare feet? If there is no broken glass to step on, what's the big deal?

Yes, it's annoying, however, I don't have a problem with it. Here's why. If I'm standing there waiting for my own child to slide down and someone else's kid is attempting to climb up I tell them to get off and go around. If they ignore me or smart back I immediately call out, "Who's child is this!" The parent usually doesn't hear me or does and won't respond, but the offending child immediately gets off and goes around. I then give them a, "Thank you so much for sharing the slide with the other children waiting to use it."

Some may call that behavior obnoxious...I call it teaching my dc that they don't have to put up with rude, self-centered behavior from other dc.

I have definitely encountered rude slide climber-uppers but there are also rude slider-downers. To me, it isn't about going up or down but about taking turns and being courteous.

My kids are free to climb up the slide if no-one is waiting to go down. And if they're waiting to go down, and someone else's kid is climbing up, I'm happy to speak up about it.

There's nothing irresponsible or inappropriate about bare feet at the park. We all go barefoot at the park. Now, don't get me started on people wearing their shoes into my house, tracking in dirt and stepping on my bare feet ;-)

Because it's fun and good exercise. As long as everyone agrees "down" has right-of-way what's the problem?

I think the problem is that not everyone agrees. At the playgrounds here, I constantly have to referee so that dd doesn't get trampled by a herd of ten-year-olds stampeding up the little kid's slide.

If people wait their turn, I don't care in the least.

I allowed them to climb up slide because it is fun. However, they were NOT allowed to do so when other kids were using slide. We purposefully timed our playground break to be at least crowded times.

What is the problem with going barefoot as long as the area does not have broken glass? I walk around my own neighborhood and neighborhood park barefoot. Are there signs at your park prohibiting bare feet?

I agree on all counts, except I don't go barefoot. Some of my kids go barefoot at the park. When we lived in Hawaii, almost all of the kids went barefoot at the park. What is the problem?

It's actually a good exercise for developing muscles. My son was in PT and she encouraged walking up the slide. Of course, we didn't let him do it when there were other kids wanting to go down the slide, but when we have the park to ourselves, climb, explore, and PLAY away!

Absolutely! And, as far as bare feet go, I happily allow my kids to play at our park without them. Last time I checked my child's feet, bare or otherwise, when kept to himself have zero effect on other children's quality of play at the park.

When they were little (up to about age 4), I had a rule that they were not allowed to climb up the slide, because they didn't have enough sense to be considerate or safe about it. Around age 4 or 5 I changed it to say that they could climb up the slide ONLY if they were the only kids playing on that particular apparatus.

I agree that it is inconsiderate otherwise, and it irks me when I see a parent actually encouraging a tot to climb up a slide when there are kids playing on the apparatus and likely to slide down any second. This is usually coupled with a violation of the suggested age for the apparatus - i.e., a 2yo climbing up the slide in the 5-12 play area. I am all for challenging your kid, but first remember that the area is designed for kids age 5-12 who want to slide DOWN the slide. If the coast is clear, then climb away. Just use your brains - don't expect my 5yo to be responsible for your parenting choices.

The other reason this behavior irks me is that it puts me in the position of being the only hag mom who says NO to climbing up the slide. I've had to discipline my kids more than once for doing what they see other kids doing, because it's against MY rule for THEM. Everyone knows that climbing up the slide when there are other kids playing there is wrong. Don't make an excuse for your precious snowflake; it hurts those kids who are expected to follow the rule.

ETA: where I live, the nicer parks have those spiral tunnel slides where you can't tell when someone's at the top getting ready to come down. So if there are other kids playing on the equipment, you should always assume they're about to slide down IMO.

I see a lot of behavior from children these days that makes no sense to me. I see children hitting their siblings and the parent just ignoring it. I see children as old as 13 touching EVERYTHING in sight in a store. I see children standing up in the front of carts and the parents don't even seem concerned. LIke I said, I see a lot of behavior that isn't safe that is allowed by parents now. I think a lot of parents don't want to take the time to actually be a parent or they just don't know anything about safety.

That being said, I did let my daughter go up slides as long as no one else was using the slide. I agree about the children with no shoes on however, since you have no idea what is in the sand on a playground.

Another family of climber-uppers here. ;) Mine have learned that down has right-of-way because gravity/inertia is on their side, and it didn't take more than one running-over to teach them to look at the top before they start. I just don't get why climbing up is any kind of problem at all.

I don't find it "obvious" that slides are for down. If you go down, it's a slide; if you go up, it's a ramp. I expect if some stranger at the playground told my dc "slides are for going down, not up," they'd probably crack up laughing - not trying to be rude, but just because that's so far outside their experience.

My son's therapists have all encouraged slide climbing. I also (within limits) allows minor problems to occur. Yes i post near daily about struggles with my son, but he has his good moments. One of those moments is great slide etiquette! He learned to take turns. One up, one or two down, hurry back up before someone wants to go down, help your buddy get up and not slide into the lava, etc.

Kids running around being chased by imaginary zombies and all working together to get everyone safely up the slide is just amazing to watch (as a mom who just posted about the son having a massive tantrum over tally marks!).

I think the problem is that not everyone agrees. At the playgrounds here, I constantly have to referee so that dd doesn't get trampled by a herd of ten-year-olds stampeding up the little kid's slide.

Then we could have a general thread about kids being inconsiderate. There are plenty of ways to be so and still stay within "the rules." (Well, somebody's rules.)

This won't end well. The last thread about kids climbing up the slide was worse than the shoes inside thead. Almost as bad as the shopping cart thread.

*goes and makes popcorn to much while watching the train wreck*

I must have missed that one. I don't feel strongly about it either way.

Aren't all slides now built to a legally safe height where no child could possibly get hurt... Surrounded by soft non PVC plastic safety ground... With queuing lines.... And Helicopter parent guards?

Now the 25' high old-school, all-metal, no-railing, burn-your-flesh-off-in-the-sun slides - that's a different thread!

What about large, fast, metal merry-go-round etiquette? Oh, none of those left. Might as well climb up the 4ft plastic slide for fun....

Cupcakes!!

Aren't all slides now built to a legally safe height where no child could possibly get hurt... Surrounded by soft non PVC plastic safety ground... With queuing lines.... And Helicopter parent guards?

Now the 25' high old-school, all-metal, no-railing, burn-your-flesh-off-in-the-sun slides - that's a different thread!

What about large, fast, metal merry-go-round etiquette? Oh, none of those left. Might as well climb up the 4ft plastic slide for fun....

Cupcakes!!

Whatever happened to real playground equipment? Now it all seems to be plastic one piece (but wide spread) units.

How's this:

I once put one of those Little Tyke's slides on my trampoline and let the kids climb up it barefoot while eating cupcakes that I bought with my food stamps. I also didn't return the cart to the cart corral when I was finished loading the cream of mushroom soup for my crockpot recipe, cupcakes and coke into my car because I was too busy trying to get my kids' expired carseat straps strapped over the top of their coats. :D

What about large, fast, metal merry-go-round etiquette? Oh, none of those left.

I was skimming along and read this too fast, and thought you were insisting that etiquette on merry-go-rounds is that they spin only to the left (like counterclockwise). :rofl:

Cupcakes!!

We have both of these!!! There is a small picnic area just past the town pool and it has swings, a single slide attached to nothing, and a merry go round. Mine love it. Unfortunately the area is soooo buggy or cold, that i dont like going often.

There's one left around here. I'm not saying where, 'cause they'll take it away. :glare:

How's this:

I once put one of those Little Tyke's slides on my trampoline and let the kids climb up it barefoot while eating cupcakes that I bought with my food stamps. I also didn't return the cart to the cart corral when I was finished loading the cream of mushroom soup for my crockpot recipe, cupcakes and coke into my car because I was too busy trying to get my kids' expired carseat straps strapped over the top of their coats. :D

Awesome!!!

How's this:

Well, as long as the kids were wearing shoes. That's the important thing :)

Guest submarines

Even if another child is waiting, it is still okay to climb up (in my books) if you aren't taking too much time and not hogging the slide. Equipment shouldn't be vacated immediately if another child approaches. The climbing child is also using the equipment and has the same rights to it as a child who wants to slide down.

Because it's fun and good exercise. As long as everyone agrees "down" has right-of-way what's the problem?

the problem ends up being that slide "climber uppers" tend not to yield the right away. I totally empathize with the op's frustrations. . .she's venting. There's nothing wrong with climbing up the slide in and of itself, but at a park with other kids??? It is rude. If I see one of my kids start to try, I tell them "We only go down the slide" Sometimes they say, ". . .but the OTHER kids are doing it" In my head I'm saying, "Yah. . .and their parents are rude to let them do it." But I SAY, "their mommy has different rules for them"

I'm in agreement with the poster who said that climbing up the slide is asking for feet in the face

I tell my kids no climbing up when someone is waiting but otherwise who gives a flying F what way they go up the slide. You know my oldest broke his leg at 22 months going up the ladder of a little tykes slide (2 rungs only, tiny little slide), yet none have ever been hurt in 14 years going up the slide itself. As a consideration to others they do not go up if kids are waiting to go down. Otherwise I don't care. As for the slide in my yard, the only time the kids go up the ladder is when they want to go down head first or backwards.

As for barefoot in the playground. Again not your kid, get over it. Some parks we all go barefoot, some we all wear shoes, it depends on the park, the ground cover, the neighborhood etc.

The park is a kids zone, it was supposed to be 1 of the few places that was all about the kid being a kid, not parents micromanaging their every move for the false sense of safety.

Guess what my kids love merry go rounds(when we can find them since most have been ripped out), climbing trees, hanging upside down fromt eh monkey bars, sitting on top of the play structure, and twisting up the swings. If they get hurt, they get hurt, that's part of childhood, using those gross muscles, experiencing the adrenaline rush of safe fears(swinging up high, climbing to the top of a structure, hanging upside down).

If you have a problem with a kid going up the slide when your kid is waiting, politely remind the kid to wait his/her turn, but otherwise keepyour opinions about how he/she is using it to yourself. And as for shoes, again keep your opinions to yourself. Each parent will decide whether shoes are needed or not.

*announcers voice* This week on mommy wars using the ladder or the slide, which way is up? Come see moms duke it out while their kids play happily on the slide. Stick around to watch Phobia intervention, and see Billy fight to over come his fear of playground sand touching his feet. A fear that began when his mother told him his feet would be destroyed and fall off if he ever removed his shoes at the playground. These shows and more on the I'm right, You're wrong channel.