Menu

Best exercise "program" for a teen guy?

Seasider

My teen boys are looking for something too.

Older son started taekwondo around age 13 and participated in it for 2 years a few times a week, including going into the leadership program. He got his blackbelt and was ready to stop and his activity level has just plummeted. This coincided with a heavy school work load, so I am not surprised.

I have been considering some type of exercise equipment for our basement (we have long, cold winters) but so far DH has just been taking the kids to the gym on weekends where they mostly make jokes about how bad they all are at basketball.

How athletic is he? What are his fitness/appearance goals?

P90X is a tough program, and I wouldn't recommend it for a 15yo beginner.

He is fairly athletic, but hasn't been playing a sport seriously this fall. He does play varsity baseball and would like to get his conditioning underway over the winter so he will be ready to go when practice starts in early spring. He did some serious hiking this summer.

He can run either outside or on the treadmill in bad weather, so he is looking for something to help with strength training (balanced, but for a baseball player that upper body strength comes in handy when throwing and batting). I think of P90X as a bit too intense, too, hence my question about alternatives. I'm no help - all I can share with him are Zumba & bellydance DVDs!!!

So... :bigear:

My teen boys are looking for something too.

Older son started taekwondo around age 13 and participated in it for 2 years a few times a week, including going into the leadership program. He got his blackbelt and was ready to stop and his activity level has just plummeted. This coincided with a heavy school work load, so I am not surprised.

I have been considering some type of exercise equipment for our basement (we have long, cold winters) but so far DH has just been taking the kids to the gym on weekends where they mostly make jokes about how bad they all are at basketball.

Based on your son's interest in TKD, I would recommend Les Mills Combat. It is by the same company that produced P90X. I am starting it myself on Monday.

sending you a pm