Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Year 5 and we are doing it again!

Robin M

Celebrating our 5th year of reading 52 books in 52 weeks. Yes, we are set to do it all over again in 2013! If you didn't join in last year, now's your chance. Since this is our 5th year, we will have a 5/5/5 challenge. Read 5 books in 5 Categories and/or 5 Genres. I have several mini challenges to make it fun and help readers reach their goal.

All things C.S. Lewis

Chunky and/or Dusty Books,

Canadian Reads and readalong (under construction)

Inspiration reading project,

as well as continuing with the A - Z by title and author, Well Educated Mind and Mind Voyages.

The rules are very simple - The goal is to read one book (at least) a week for 52 weeks:

1. The challenge will run from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013.

2. Our book weeks begin on Sunday.

3. Participants may join at any time.

4. All books are acceptable except children books.

5. All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, etc.

6. Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2013.

7. Books may overlap other challenges.

8. I'm participating Mr. Linky is up on the 52 Books Blog

9. Link your reviews on the blog

10. Participate here and/or on the Blog

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in! The 52 thread is always one of my fav of the week! Thank-you, Robin!!

I'll be mulling over the 5/5/5. Somehow I missed that and i was wondering what everyone's list of 5 was about- duh!

Welcome, newbies! I didn't finish 52 books the first year I attempted it. This is the 3rd year I've completed the goal (almost at 60 for the year) and it has been a great ride, come join the fun!

I quit keeping track months ago, but I managed to get somewhere around 40 read, but I included chapter books for school over 100 pages (I remember a rule for that somewhere). Most of my books were teen dystopian. Anyway, that was much better than the 9 or so I did the year before. I'm a very slow reader.

Not only am I in, but I think I might try the 5/5/5 challenge. That would be a new twist for me. Of course the categories will probably represent my own weird little quirks. For example, I think I might have a Dorothy Dunnett category. Do I reread the Lymond books or dedicate a couple months to the eight tomes of the House of Niccolo? Decisions, decisions...

I am definitely in! Thank you so much, Robin, for doing Book-a-Week! It is absolutely my favorite thread!

I didn't realize that 2013 would be the fifth year. I started in 2009 and thought I was a year late; maybe not . . .

Haven't decided yet whether I will do any challenges. At this point in life, I just want to enjoy reading and not add any pressure to myself! :) Some of the challenges are enticing, though, and some of my reading may end up qualifying without even trying! :)

Thanks again, Robin - you're a gem for doing this!

Even though I've yet to finish 52 (although I'm closer this year!), you can't get rid of me :) I love reading about books!

Just try to leave, Dawn. We'll come after you :001_smile:

I decided today that I'm going to start a notebook for my reading. A page a book with title, author, great quotes and my thoughts. I do reviews on my blog regularly, but my own personal notes get lost.

I decided today that I'm going to start a notebook for my reading. A page a book with title, author, great quotes and my thoughts. I do reviews on my blog regularly, but my own personal notes get lost.

This is a great idea - and I hope you have the stick-to-it-ness that it requires! I've tried this with very lackluster success - too many quotes and my hand tires of writing . . . So I tried doing a document file on the computer - that meant ANOTHER file. Currently, I've been trying to add them to my *journaling* document. I read here on the Hive (of course!) that some folks use their journal for EVERYTHING - and I thought, "Now why didn't I think of that? Why do I separate everything out, then get overwhelmed?" So, now I'm trying to remember - with limited success - :glare: to put quotes in my *journal* - with the thought that SOMEDAY maybe I will index the various entries - another idea I read in a book - oy vey - too many thoughts :eek: :blink: :willy_nilly:

This is a great idea - and I hope you have the stick-to-it-ness that it requires! I've tried this with very lackluster success - too many quotes and my hand tires of writing . . . So I tried doing a document file on the computer - that meant ANOTHER file. Currently, I've been trying to add them to my *journaling* document. I read here on the Hive (of course!) that some folks use their journal for EVERYTHING - and I thought, "Now why didn't I think of that? Why do I separate everything out, then get overwhelmed?" So, now I'm trying to remember - with limited success - :glare: to put quotes in my *journal* - with the thought that SOMEDAY maybe I will index the various entries - another idea I read in a book - oy vey - too many thoughts :eek: :blink: :willy_nilly:

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I'm totally going to do this! I even have a blank notebook.

Having a "Doh!" Moment....

I'm in but can I make a request? Reading the new forums without that hybrid view makes it much harder to scan/skim threads, particularly this one because I'd try to just get the current titles being read! Would it be OK to have everyone NOT include their long list of every book they've read for the year in each post? Or maybe linking to the list on a blog, if possible? I love the lists, but not when I have no choice but to scroll endlessly through them. :)

I'm in again! (No surprise there!) Thanks so much, Robin! The weekly book threads are my favorites on the boards.

Would it be OK to have everyone NOT include their long list of every book they've read for the year in each post? Or maybe linking to the list on a blog, if possible? I love the lists, but not when I have no choice but to scroll endlessly through them. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

Oh, but I like the lists on here. I rarely read blogs, so I don't usually click through to blog links. And, I don't have a blog of my own, so nowhere else to post my lists either. So, I beg for everyone's lists to stay! http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/001_smile.gif I try to usually just post my list on my first post each week & not the ones after that; I'll try to be especially diligent about it from now on so that most of my posts won't have the long list (though I'm verbose enough w/out the list anyway... http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/leaving.gif ). Is that do-able?

I'm in again! (No surprise there!) Thanks so much, Robin! The weekly book threads are my favorites on the boards. :thumbup1: I'm like this when I see them: :party:

:laugh:

Oh, but I like the lists on here. I rarely read blogs, so I don't usually click through to blog links. And, I don't have a blog of my own, so nowhere else to post my lists either. So, I beg for everyone's lists to stay! :001_smile: I try to usually just post my list on my first post each week & not the ones after that; I'll try to be especially diligent about it from now on so that most of my posts won't have the long list (though I'm verbose enough w/out the list anyway... :leaving: ). Is that do-able?

I hate to admit it, but I really like the lists too. They're very interesting to me and I also don't often click through to blogs. But I'm a newcomer here so y'all do what you want to do.

I'm in but can I make a request? Reading the new forums without that hybrid view makes it much harder to scan/skim threads, particularly this one because I'd try to just get the current titles being read! Would it be OK to have everyone NOT include their long list of every book they've read for the year in each post? Or maybe linking to the list on a blog, if possible? I love the lists, but not when I have no choice but to scroll endlessly through them. :)

Oh, but I like the lists on here. I rarely read blogs, so I don't usually click through to blog links. And, I don't have a blog of my own, so nowhere else to post my lists either. So, I beg for everyone's lists to stay! :001_smile: I try to usually just post my list on my first post each week & not the ones after that; I'll try to be especially diligent about it from now on so that most of my posts won't have the long list (though I'm verbose enough w/out the list anyway... :leaving: ). Is that do-able?

I hate to admit it, but I really like the lists too. They're very interesting to me and I also don't often click through to blogs. But I'm a newcomer here so y'all do what you want to do.

Now I'm conflicted because I was a long lister before the switch. I haven't done it lately because I can't figure out the format. How about a compromise? I will look into a formatting option that makes the long list less long? Maybe i can make a table or something. I'll attempt something like that and you guys can let me know if it works or if it looks horrible. I will also try to read fewer books so my list isn't so long. :)

I am in! Not that I've ever gotten close to 52 - and the Chunkster Challenge will just exacerbate my underachieving ways.

If you're an underachiever ...

and aren't most of your books chunksters?

I'm pretty sure her books make chunksters feel slim and trim. :)

I like the lists. This the only place I keep a list of what I read because its the only place anyone might care. :rolleyes:

I try to keep it down by making the print small and culling down to only the best titles every 10 reads or so. That way if someone wants a reference later its there and if they don't its a quick scroll to the next post.

I don't like every genre, so sometimes I do a lot of scrolling, but I like knowing its there...just in case I want to know later. :D

If its a common problem I'm willing to bend to the group decision.

Now I'm conflicted because I was a long lister before the switch. I haven't done it lately because I can't figure out the format. How about a compromise? I will look into a formatting option that makes the long list less long? Maybe i can make a table or something. I'll attempt something like that and you guys can let me know if it works or if it looks horrible. I will also try to read fewer books so my list isn't so long. :)

:ohmy: Read fewer books? Don't even go there girl! :)

Have you tried copy and pasting from word using the paste feature in the menu. It usually works for me.

Suggestion regarding the lists for those who don't have blogs and this is the only place to keep track. The lists would only become a problem when we get more than half way through the year. Perhaps list them once at the beginning of the month, then the updated version at the beginning of the next month. Something like that, since there are folks who like reading through the lists. Just don't include the list in every single post you do on one thread. I think Stacia already mentioned that is what she does. Would that work for everyone?

LOL That seems good to me. I'm torn because I DO like to read the lists, too, especially toward the end of the year. Oh, and no GIGANTIC images, either, Stacia!! (teasing, ;) LOL)

Perhaps list them once at the beginning of the month, then the updated version at the beginning of the next month. Something like that, since there are folks who like reading through the lists. Just don't include the list in every single post you do on one thread. I think Stacia already mentioned that is what she does. Would that work for everyone?

Yes! Thanks! And definitely don't read LESS!!! lol These threads are always a joy and motivation to me.