Menu

PSAT score report mix-up: can I fix this?

DD is a homeschooled junior. Finally received her PSAT scores today. Her score should be above the cut-off for Indiana unless there's a dramatic change from previous years' scores.

However, her score report says she's not eligible for NM because she's not a high school student! In another spot on her score report, she's listed as a junior with expected graduation date of 2014.

I sent the homeschool code with DD on the test date in case the guidance counselor at the local public school didn't have the correct code. She told me the counselor had the correct code ready. The counselor had DD come in early on test day and sat with her in her office and told her how to fill out rest of personal info. I had given DD warnings about using correct homeschool code and not giving SS#, email address, etc.

I need to straighten out whatever mix-up occurred so that DD retains her NM eligibility. Has anyone dealt with a similar problem? I'm not sure what NMSC is going to require as verification that DD is, indeed, a high school junior.

Thanks~

Yes, this should be easily fixable. Students make this sort of error every year and that's why they send out the report that says they are ineligible so you will to get them the accurate information. I suggest you call the National Merit Scholarship Corporation next week (not the College Board - they don't have anything to do with this and won't be able to help you). I will paste the National Merit contact information below. In my experience they are nice and easy to deal with. Just explain your student is a homeschooler and misunderstood that question. She isn't the first one and she won't be the last. They will probably have you fill out the form and send it back in. Congrats!

National Merit Scholarship Corporation

1560 Sherman Avenue

Suite 200

Evanston, Illinois 60201-4897

Main Telephone: (847) 866-5100

Main Fax: (847) 866-5113

Hoosiermom --

Do you happen to know based on your DD's score what the cutoff for IN is this year? Or maybe she scored much higher than cutoff. I only have a freshman and am wondering how much effort to put into her working to raise her score in the next couple of years. I'm not sure when they actually release the cutoff scores for the individual states.

Hoosiermom --

Do you happen to know based on your DD's score what the cutoff for IN is this year? Or maybe she scored much higher than cutoff. I only have a freshman and am wondering how much effort to put into her working to raise her score in the next couple of years. I'm not sure when they actually release the cutoff scores for the individual states.

As I understand it, the cut-off scores will be released in late Aug of 2013. Someone please correct me if that's incorrect.

When I said DD might make the cut-off, I was basing that on Indiana's scores from the last 5-6 years. Cut-off scores have ranged from 210-212 most years, with a high of 214 one year.

Yes, this should be easily fixable. Students make this sort of error every year and that's why they send out the report that says they are ineligible so you will to get them the accurate information. I suggest you call the National Merit Scholarship Corporation next week (not the College Board - they don't have anything to do with this and won't be able to help you). I will paste the National Merit contact information below. In my experience they are nice and easy to deal with. Just explain your student is a homeschooler and misunderstood that question. She isn't the first one and she won't be the last. They will probably have you fill out the form and send it back in. Congrats!

National Merit Scholarship Corporation

1560 Sherman Avenue

Suite 200

Evanston, Illinois 60201-4897

Main Telephone: (847) 866-5100

Main Fax: (847) 866-5113

Thanks for the info! I'll try to post this week after I contact NMSC. It's good to know that I'm not the only one to ever deal with this.

And, just to be clear, I'm quite sure that this is an easy mistake for a homeschooler to make--especially a homeschooler not used to taking standardized tests and filling out forms. I'm not at all upset with DD!! I was just hoping that someone could assure me that this wouldn't be a huge problem to fix. We received the scores on a Saturday--at the time it seemed like a long wait before I could call someone at NMSC to try to straighten it all out :001_smile:

. We received the scores on a Saturday--at the time it seemed like a long wait before I could call someone at NMSC to try to straighten it all out :001_smile:

I understood you weren't frustrated with DD, just concerned about the situation and if it would be a hassle to fix. It is stressful when you are left to wait over the weekend!