Menu

Got questions for me?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Montana Momma

I have been homeschooling for 5 years and always looking for the "perfect" curriculum. When it finally dawned on me that I would never find it, I ran across your books and decided to give it a shot( we love SOTW) but I have found that in all of my curriculum hopping that there are huge gaps in my children's education! Help! I have no idea how to get those gaps filled in and I know that I am running out of time( the oldest is in 9th grade). Any advice that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Rikki

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, Ms. Bauer: do you believe it is a necessity for children to be exposed to problem-solving in a group setting, and if so, by what age?

A few scientists I've spoken to stress that when they found out I homeschool my children (ds9, dd5, dd2).

Thank you.

We are started SOTW this fall.  As one of the support texts it lists the Kingfisher Illustrated Encyclopedia.  This appears to be out of print...on Amazon it is $83!!  How important is this book?  Especially since I have located the other 3.  My girls are entering 1st.  Thanks!

My question is about teaching boys as they begin puberty. My bright 13yo son can't concentrate and is resistant to instruction - all of the sudden. Do you have thoughts/advice on those growth/hormone periods where - seemingly instantly - a child's learning style, aptitude or interest changes?

Lisa j - thanks for all the great resources and thoughts over the years

I too have a similar problem, but mine is a 13yo daughter. She seems to have lost interest  in studies altogether, while she was a bright student otherwise.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest laurac6

I agree with Alicia64. would love to know more about how best to plan/prepare my children for SATs/ACTs/college. My oldest is in first grade; but I don't want to wait to ask this question. I know how quickly time passes!:)

• 4 weeks later...

I have just started using WWE and had planned to move to WWS.  However, I have since found out that WWS only covers the first two years of middle school and requires a separate grammar program.  Is this a temporary issue; will there be a completion to these products in the near future?  More clearly, will WWS continue through middle and high school, and will there be a matching grammar book?

I love the products and hope to see them continue.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest islandgirl

I am new to this forum. I have the SOTW series and have always planned to use it...but time slipped away quickly. I have an 8th grade dd, and a 1st grade dd. I had planned to start both of them in Ancients, but now I understand from your FAQ articles that I should start Logic daughter in Kingfisher book and Critical Thinking Press materials. I feel as if Logic daughter is missing out on the great stories in SOTW. Is there a way to blend or mesh SOTW and Kingfisher together? Our focus has been mainly on American history and Asian history. Would appreciate your guidance on how to best handle this situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to hear your thoughts about working with children who may have a non-academic future. My twins are heavily into music (guitar and drums) and have plans of going to Berklee College of Music after they graduate. They spend 3-4 hours everyday practicing. They are smart and do well with their school work, but they aren't very interested. I've had to scale way back to keep them focused. I am currently doing a very WTM style high school with my oldest, but I can already see that my twins will not do well with that type of high school program. 

What would you do with students who are very arts focused and do not plan to attend a typical 4 year college? 

HI Susan, I read the thread here on the new book by Amanda Ripley "The World's Smartest Kids and How They Got There". I was curious to know your opinion about the book and your overall opinion on the American Education system. That is a VERY broad topic I know but I thought as a once-homeschooled, a now homeschooler, and a College Professor as well as accomplished academic-that you would have interesting insights.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Heartland Mom

I'm rather desperate for suggestions about how to start homeschooling with the classical method for three children in three different grades who have previously been in public school.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question #2. How do you do both homeschool and public school? Q3) How do you teach at home and teach at school? Phew! Q4) Oh and how do you adapt your high school recommendations for a public school while giving your own child the same instructions?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ariestar

I would like to know your thoughts on the Common Core Curriculum.  It will be affecting most children in the country so I believe this is a very important subject.  And more importantly for homeschoolers, how will this affect our kids when it comes time to take the revised SAT's for college?  They will not be looking for the correct answers, but for the "new methods" that are only taught under Common Core.

I am hoping Susan will read this (I am not seeing her answers on this thread).

Kat

• 2 weeks later...

Q 1) I am teaching 6th grade this year and we are on track with studying the medieval time period. One concern I have is when using the History Of The           World study book as our basic text, the christian view is completely left off. I'd like to counter balance the theories but don't feel equipped enough to           do it on my own. Do you have any suggestions for doing that?

Q 2) How on God's green earth do I teach 6th grade and 3rd grade together? 

Thank you!

Guest qasteachers

Hello Susan Bauer,

I am wondering if you can provide input on the Classical Composition put out by Memoria Press. We are trying to decide between the Writing with Skill and this program. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. 

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Guest jbagby10

Hello-

I am new to this forum and homeschooling so I'll probably be on here a lot, haha. I was wondering if you had a suggestion on where I can get a reading list for a 2nd grader and 4th grader. Thank you!

Hello-

I am new to this forum and homeschooling so I'll probably be on here a lot, haha. I was wondering if you had a suggestion on where I can get a reading list for a 2nd grader and 4th grader. Thank you!

Have you read "The Well-Trained Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise? That's the best place to start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would love to know what to do with a 3rd grader who is very intelligent, has an amazing vocabulary, can narrate beautiful sentences/paragraphs/stories and can calculate 3 digit addition/subtraction in his head (is also progressing well in multiplication) but struggles to read and the physical act of writing.  We have worked diligently on these things for the last 3 years.  I would say his AR reading level is probably lower 2nd grade though he can read a 3rd grade AR level book well for about 5-7 minutes then he just falls apart.  His writing looks much like a preschooler or K'er who is just starting to write.  We are working through FLL3, IEW Bible heroes, Phonics Pathways, Explode the Code and Spelling Workout B.  It's frustrating to him and me that his reading/writing ability doesn't match up to the quality of work he is capable of.  I have to do every single subject with him with these 2 struggles and I have 3 other children to work with.

• 4 months later...