Menu

Is there any way we can tag posts?

GWOB

I really enjoyed the ability to tag posts. While I love a funny tag, I really liked tagging posts to make them easily searchable. Is there any way we can bring back this feature? It sure would make searching for "middle school science" and "kilts" a lot easier.

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the ability to tag posts. While I love a funny tag, I really liked tagging posts to make them easily searchable. Is there any way we can bring back this feature? It sure would make searching for "middle school science" and "kilts" a lot easier.

And it makes searching lots easier too!

I'd love to have tags back, too! I like the extra layer of search-ability it gave. Plus, honestly, I like cataloging things.

Yup, me too :D. I have spent many happy evening tagging threads :D

I agree!

:iagree: to all!

Many of the new posts have been tagged. I just can't figure out how to do it. I am sure it is obvious, but it escapes me.

Ruth in NZ

I think the person starting a thread can tag it. I've only started one thread, so I'm not really sure.

So, if that first person doesn't think of all the tags a thread should eventually have, the tags won't exist.

Seeing the food stamp/WIC thread coming back from 2009, I wish there was an auto-tagger that would label an item "resurrected thread". I've seen that tag on a thread recently. If someone has done a tag like that, perhaps it's not the person who started the thread, right when they start the thread?

Erica in OR

Seeing the food stamp/WIC thread coming back from 2009, I wish there was an auto-tagger that would label an item "resurrected thread". I've seen that tag on a thread recently. If someone has done a tag like that, perhaps it's not the person who started the thread, right when they start the thread?

Erica in OR

That's the thread that prompted me to try and figure out how to tag, too, only to wind up over here. I wanted to do a "zombie thread" tag.

• Like 1

Yes it would be very useful to be able to tag threads because sometimes the OP doesn't know all the ways that others would tag the thread - it's a way for other readers to help out....

Yes, exactly this. At least on the High School Boards, tags have been used as a way of indexing common topics and questions. But someone new to the board or to the topic may not realize that there was a great exchange a month/six months/a year ago on that very question. So they don't know/can't know the tags to add that would get them to those other helpful conversations.

Just as an example, someone recently asked for help with algebra. Her tag was quite descriptive of her frustrations, but was also completely unique and not something that other threads were tagged with. Since others can't come in and add "algebra" or "Aops" or "high school math" or "algebra sequence" we can't easily get her to other content that might be helpful.

Please turn on the ability for those replying to the thread to add tags.

• Like 4

Please turn on the ability for those replying to the thread to add tags.

Yes! please. I occasionally write very lengthy responses to science questions, and over the past few years they have been tagged as "science with ruth." People read these previous posts as a set as I found out today on the logic board. The problem with the current, OP-only tagging, is that the initiator of a thread would never know if I was going to respond, so would not add the tag in the beginning and may not know or care to add the tag later.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Is this something that is still on the to do list? Tags have the ability to really tie together quality content. Even when the posters on the older posts are no longer frequenting the boards.

Being able to tag someone else's thread is especially helpful since the op may not know the tags used before.

• Like 1

Wendi - you forgot to tag this thread! I would tag it for you if I could.....:-) Joan

Would Admin please respond? At least let us know if this is a lost cause or not.

I didn't use tags before, but now that there is no way to "organize" followed threads, there is absolutely NO WAY to find anything without it taking forever. Tags would at least be helpful. If Admin is not planning on adding tags, please consider some way we can organize and locate information.

• Like 1

boo hoo....it seems the search section has changed since I last looked and there's no option to search for tags, which means that we'd have to find a thread with the tag we're looking for before we can find the other tags (if my logic is correct and there's nothing I'm missing)....Things must not be going well behind the scenes.....

J...

Would Admin please respond? At least let us know if this is a lost cause or not.

I didn't use tags before, but now that there is no way to "organize" followed threads, there is absolutely NO WAY to find anything without it taking forever. Tags would at least be helpful. If Admin is not planning on adding tags, please consider some way we can organize and locate information.

Updates???? Please????

As far as I know you can only tag a thread in the beginning. I am looking for a solution that would allow us to either tag individual posts OR add tags to the original tags in the thread.

Thank you sooo much for answering! Those both sound like great options...

I saw too that I can search tags again!

Thank you!

Joan

As far as I know you can only tag a thread in the beginning. I am looking for a solution that would allow us to either tag individual posts OR add tags to the original tags in the thread.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way but ... you're my hero. There I said it. :)

• Like 1

I am looking for a solution that would allow us to either tag individual posts OR add tags to the original tags in the thread.

Thank you so much for looking into this.

Here is an example...I just followed a thread on the HS board about Miller Levine biology. But I am also following a hundred other threads with recipes, parenting advice, math, elective options, etc, etc. By the time I get to actually using Miller Levine, probably next school year, I will have to wade through ALL of those threads to find the one I am looking for.

Previously we could group the content we follow into categories. That was SO HELPFUL.

Even if next year comes and I do a search for "miller levine", I will still have to go through all the Miller Levine threads to find the one that I found useful.

Tagging or some other way to categorize content is really a VERY IMPORTANT part of what makes this board so valuable.

Thanks for giving this consideration.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for continuing to press on this.

Just to give you another example where this would really help, there is a thread on the high school board about service academy applications and the fitness and sports requirements for candiates. There was some good info shared, including links the the fitness requirements for several academis as well as workout suggestions from the schools.

But shortly after the thread was started, the OP deleted her first post and replaced it with NM. Now there are fewer terms for the search function to find and a title that is NM instead of a reference to service academies. If other posters were able to tag the thread, at least the reploies would be cataloged along with other related posts on the military and service academy admissions.

Please do continue to work on developing this. It really is an important feature for managing the vast content of the community.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

One organization option while we're waiting, is to temporarily follow a thread with instantaneous reply to an email account, then in your email account make folders of the different subjects. I don't know about other email providers, but in Gmail, you can make endless folders - or certainly enough to cover most possible topics - and then even subfolders which wasn't an option on the board before.... :-)

Then once you have at least one response with the thread title in it, you can 'unfollow' the thread...

Joan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now that the issue with Social groups has been resolved, I am hoping tagging can be taken up next. I keep subscribing to the threads that I find a good reference, but tagging was a much more better way to find specific information.

Also, in the old boards, on the advanced search page, the "Find by Author" and "Find by tag" fields were helpfully auto-filled when you typed in the first few letters. That way we did not have to remember the exact spellings of board members or the tags used. Can we also have that feature back? It helped a lot in making targeted searches.

• Like 3

Now that the issue with Social groups has been resolved, I am hoping tagging can be taken up next. I keep subscribing to the threads that I find a good reference, but tagging was a much more better way to find specific information.

Also, in the old boards, on the advanced search page, the "Find by Author" and "Find by tag" fields were helpfully auto-filled when you typed in the first few letters. That way we did not have to remember the exact spellings of board members or the tags used. Can we also have that feature back? It helped a lot in making targeted searches.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

(that meant, agreeing on all points :-))

The auto-fill option is important because sometimes it's hard to remember exactly how someone spells their board name...then the search comes back empty...

Joan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes! I still miss tagging my own and others threads....Telling a poster - please tag your thread gets old as there are so many new people on the board that even fewer threads are tagged now...

As loesje says - thank you for the good new features - like being able to change a thread title! very useful...

Joan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

John,

Is the post tagging function something that you're still working on, or has this just become a fond memory of the "old board"?

Would it be possible to enable tagging in some forums, but not others (if one of the issues was silly or mean tags)?

I feel like a nag, but I can't really overstate how useful the tagging function was in the high school board. Very often, posters will come in with a question that has some extensive discussion in the past or that is a new twist or follow up of a much discussed topic. It is much easier to tag their post than to try to create in thread links to a number of other threads, some going back to the beginning of the new board format.

It's not very helpful to ask posters to tag their threads when they were created.  If the poster of the new thread already knew about preexisting helpful threads, they probably wouldn't be posting a new question.

Think of it as subject headings in a library catalog. Or for a more current example, like the way that Netflix will take my interest in Firefly and recommend several related shows under "edgy humorous science fiction".

If you are able to bring back tags, it would also be very helpful to have an autosuggest drop down as you type the tags. That will keep multiple similar tags to a minimum.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Is the post tagging function something that you're still working on, or has this just become a fond memory of the "old board"?

Would it be possible to enable tagging in some forums, but not others (if one of the issues was silly or mean tags)?

I feel like a nag, but I can't really overstate how useful the tagging function was in the high school board. Very often, posters will come in with a question that has some extensive discussion in the past or that is a new twist or follow up of a much discussed topic. It is much easier to tag their post than to try to create in thread links to a number of other threads, some going back to the beginning of the new board format.

It's not very helpful to ask posters to tag their threads when they were created.  If the poster of the new thread already knew about preexisting helpful threads, they probably wouldn't be posting a new question.

Think of it as subject headings in a library catalog. Or for a more current example, like the way that Netflix will take my interest in Firefly and recommend several related shows under "edgy humorous science fiction".

If you are able to bring back tags, it would also be very helpful to have an autosuggest drop down as you type the tags. That will keep multiple similar tags to a minimum.

Still wondering myself....it is such a handy feature and all the newcomers to the boards are missing out and don't know how and why to even tag....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

So far there isn't a change in this. I keep looking to see if the developer are going to add it. Perhaps in next version.

That's disappointing. Tagging is such a helpful feature and works much better if tags can be added by those who reply and not just the original poster. It's like creating an index as you go.

I hope you can give feedback to the developer that is is a super useful feature.

• 3 weeks later...

That's disappointing. Tagging is such a helpful feature and works much better if tags can be added by those who reply and not just the original poster. It's like creating an index as you go.

I hope you can give feedback to the developer that is is a super useful feature.

I only hope this feature is added if the bug is fixed that connects tagged threads to closed social groups. The "Book a week" is the most recent case, but we've had this issue in the past. As the OP of one such thread I had to edit my OP to remove tags to be able to post on my own thread. :)