Menu

Vision question: Seeing 3D on TV

merry gardens

My ds completed vision therapy earlier this year. He now can use his eyes both together better than I do. When I tried doing some of my son's vt exercises with him, I got massive headaches. If I had problems with learning, I'd probably have been a prime candidate for vision therapy.

Dh wants a new tv and the one he likes comes with 3D features. :coolgleamA: At the store, while watching the tv with the 3D glasses over my corrective lenses, I felt a slight headache. Not the massive headache I got from ds' vt exercises, but still enough of a headache to tell me that it something was going on with my brain/vision. This has happened both times I tried watching a 3D tv with the glasses, so I really don't think it is a co-incidence.

I'm wondering what, if any, effect a 3D tv might have on my kids' vision. Does anyone have any idea?

(And for the record... I will add that I'm not in favor of allowing my kids to watch a lot of tv. If it were up to me, we wouldn't even have a tv.)

I also have discovered since DD did VT that I turn off the vision in one eye almost all the time, both near and far. I think that eye is not completely "off" though - I went myself to DD's VT optometrist, and they did a simple 3D test (3 lines with 4 things, 1 of which is in 3D, each line a little harder to see) and I could tell there was something different about 1 item in each line (then suddenly after I had been looking for a minute or so, they all popped into 3D)

I have wondered about the whole 3D thing too -would seeing 3D tv help kids develop both eyes or push them more toward turning one off. Haven't tried to research it all though since so far I haven't even seen a movie in 3D yet.

For anyone interested, I did a websearch on the topic. Here's a couple of links I found interesting:

http://www.3deyehealth.org/ This site had link to a study that showed improved test scores in classrooms when 3d used.

http://3dguy.tv/can-3d-effect-your-vision/ This one said it gave the eyes a work out.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/3d-tv-technology.html This one had lots and lots of information. I haven't mentally digested everything it said yet.

I feel like such a mom because I'm worried that tv will hurt their eyes.

I don't think the 3D will *hurt* their eyes. I was just reading an article where they were explaining the type of 3D technology they used to film the new Hobbit moving coming out soon. Apparently what it does is alternate eyes when you use the glasses. So yes, it would be a pretty vicious form of vision therapy and could result in a lot of strain, headaches, etc. Yes, nausea can occur (the article said). They said there are also issues with the change rate. Most 3D is filmed very slowly and apparently the Hobbit is filmed almost twice as fast. I have no clue on the speed of the things with a 3D tv.

So no, it's not your imagination. I've been reluctant to commit to seeing the Hobbit in the 3D version, because I have a feeling it would do that to me. I've done some VT myself but got sidetracked by school and haven't done enough. Dd is going with a friend and they're going to do the full 3D, imax, pop your eyes out version.

So you know, that might be the easiest thing. Plunk out the money for the Hobbit, watch it for 2 hours, then you'll know. Personally I wouldn't buy a tv like that, because we don't watch enough of those movies for it to matter. However I don't think it will HURT you. You could queery your eye doc. My guess is it's actually mildly beneficial in a way.

Thanks laughing cat, wapiti and elizabeth for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Elizabeth, you're guess might be right that it may be mildly beneficial. I saw an article about the 3d features in The Hobbit movie too. I want to see the movie, but after reading about people getting motion sick :ack2:, I don't want to see it in 3D! My eyes are interesting--they each sort of specialize, one for reading and one for distance. They don't exactly work together, but they each work. I can't see 3D in movies unless I wear my glasses or contacts. When I wear my contacts, I need to add reading glasses just so I can read what I'm otherwise able to read! (My glasses have bi-focals but my contacts don't.) At my age, reading glasses or bi-focals are normal, so I don't know if I want to try training them now to start working like "normal" eyes! I like being able to read without reading glasses--and in order to do that I sort of turn off my "good eye" and rely on my "bad eye" (aka very nearsighted eye) for reading.

The 3D feature in the tv that dh wants can be turned off, plus the tv fits nicely inside the tv cabinet we already have. This all reminded me that it's time for a f/u with my son's COVD--so it's now scheduled and while I'm there I'll ask for the doctor's opinion on 3D tv.

When I wear my contacts, I need to add reading glasses just so I can read what I'm otherwise able to read! (My glasses have bi-focals but my contacts don't.)

This is off-topic but I am in this situation too. I usually only wear my contact lenses if I'm going out socially, and then ironically I need to make sure I bring my reading glasses, which are far dorkier-looking (old-lady-ish?) than my regular glasses w/progressive lenses.