Menu

One nasty virus here. Anyone else?

Tiramisu

I'm not sure if this is THE flu, because they say the real flu hits hard and fast and this built up.

This is what's been going on for dd12:

Day 1: unusually tired

Day 2: does not move off the couch, throat starts to hurt

Day 3: congestion starts, red face, eyes blazing, very sore throat

Day 4: coughing begins,congestion, very sore throat

Day 5: headache starts, some coughing, congestion, very sore throat, go to ped., no strep

Day 6: headache, some coughing, congestion, very sore throat

She's been taking ibuprofen, and the pediatrician told me I could bump it up to the adult dose because her throat is so painfully sore. I've told her to gargle with salt water but she doesn't. I really don't think she's drinking enough. Now she's napping and she never naps.

The pediatrician says a long-lasting virus is going around, and that we should come back in a week if she's not better. And, he said we should be very careful about spreading germs in the house. Remarkably, the rest of us are still okay.

Anyone else dealing with a virus that goes on for days with no sign of getting better?

None of us have been sick (knock on wood), but there's a really bad virus going around in the area. Our local public high school is at an almost epidemic point with it. My niece has had it. She was so sick the doc tested her for flu and mono, but she didn't have either. My brother said one of his co-workers was out for nine days and ran a high fever for a good part of the time. Like my niece, he was negative for the flu.

Everyone in our house had something similar a few weeks ago. I had a sore throat for over a week. The congestion lasted just over 2 weeks, and the cough is still there 3 weeks later (although improving). I'm 8 months pregnant so I couldn't take anything for it. :(

My son was pretty out of it when his fever was high. He would perk up a bit with liquids though, so I would recommend trying whatever you can to get her to drink. We gave him lots of juice (he usually has limited amounts of juice), made homemade popsicles, made non-dairy smoothies, and lots of homemade soup.

We've had something different than what I'd seen before, 6 of the kids. It sounds similar. We checked for strep(negative), lots of throat complaints(very painful), fever, hoarse voice, they do not want to talk, painful to talk and cough(8 year old "I wish I could cough in sign language") . The ASL class we took is coming in handy this week. LOL! Several of them took a turn for the worse after seeming to get better. Some of them are getting some congestion/runny nose toward the end, their lungs have been clear even in the one with a really croupy sounding cough. It has been a full week now for the ones that got it first, but they are improving finally.

Oh, I should NOT have read this thread.

Dd8 went to bed last night saying she was "cold" - and yup, woke up this morning burning up. She's got 103 temp. . . .and OF COURSE she was hanging all over my dd20's two college friends who came home and had dinner with us last night. Sigh.

We've got friends who've tested positive for flu, but we weren't around them.

I'm tired and my back aches and my throat tickles. But I'm not sick. No siree bob. Not me.

Where's the fingers crossed smiley?

I'm sorry to hear that so many of you are struggling with nasty bugs, too. And it's so early in the season. :(

Things only went downhill for dd yesterday with ear aches starting. She's my tough one, but woke up in agony in the middle of the night with a more inflamed throat and nothing we could do could help her. We thought we would have to take her to the ER, but finally another dose of ibuprofen kicked in and she fell back to sleep. Her tongue looked like a strawberry, so I thought strep. But, no! When I took her into the ped this morning (so thankful for Sunday hours!), the strep test was negative again. But she does have an ear infection, so we started antibiotics.

I had another dc with a horrid sore throat years ago that turned out to be a non-strep bacterial infection. If this dd's throat responds to the antibiotics, I'll know we're going through the same thing again. We tried to get it cultured to identify it, but the lab messed up and we never found out what it was.

I hope everyone who responded and their kiddos are feeling good today!

DO NOT say this. This sounds a great deal like what 16 year old foster daughter has. She said a lot of kids at her school have this. I think she is on day 3 or so.

I am praying that she gets better soon and that the flu shots we all got cover this virus. It sounds like influenza but that usually hits hard and FAST where, like you said, this one seems to be ramping up---slight cold symptoms one day and building from there.

I will keep pushing fluids and keep washing hands and doorknobs around here------------and I was one who was not worried about the "bathroom germs" from another post today.

Tiramisu, How is your dd doing? I'm on day 6 and this thing is just getting more miserable, woke up this morning with it just sitting in my chest and sinuses:(

I'm sorry you're feeling even worse after all this time. It does seem like what dd went through. I'm rather sure she definitely developed a secondary bacterial infection in her throat in addition to the ears. After two days on antibiotics, there was a dramatic improvement. The congestion hung around for a while longer. If you keep getting worse, you may want to see a doctor. :(

Iit's almost two full weeks, and dd is still not herself. The big problem now is that she hasn't been able to hear in four days. This happened when she was a pre-schooler but not for this long. Her ear canals must be full of fluid and can't drain. We have to wave to get her attention, or yell. She's going around looking like a deer in headlights. She's still tired, too. I've been hesitant to use a decongestant because we get bad reactions to the, but I'm going to try an antihistimine and see if that helps.

I wish I knew a natural remedy. I'm giving her tea with honey.

I have had it here, and it has been BAD! It started the same way and the worst thing was the sore throat. It has lasted over two weeks and I still can't seem to kick the cough.

One of my kiddos had a sinus infection, one had a little cold-but neither have had this. And they are the ones that had the flu shot. (I do not get them because I get sick every time). So, it may indeed, be the actual flu.

I hope everyone gets feeling better!

Jenn

I'm sorry you're feeling even worse after all this time. It does seem like what dd went through. I'm rather sure she definitely developed a secondary bacterial infection in her throat in addition to the ears. After two days on antibiotics, there was a dramatic improvement. The congestion hung around for a while longer. If you keep getting worse, you may want to see a doctor. :(

Iit's almost two full weeks, and dd is still not herself. The big problem now is that she hasn't been able to hear in four days. This happened when she was a pre-schooler but not for this long. Her ear canals must be full of fluid and can't drain. We have to wave to get her attention, or yell. She's going around looking like a deer in headlights. She's still tired, too. I've been hesitant to use a decongestant because we get bad reactions to the, but I'm going to try an antihistimine and see if that helps.

I wish I knew a natural remedy. I'm giving her tea with honey.

I broke out the Mucenex today and I've been downing this tea to help with the cough and break up the congestion. I've used this recipe for years and it kills coughs Delsym doesn't stop.

I had something right before Thanksgiving, headache, fever, chills, sore throat, sinus issues, nausea. It lasted for a full 14 days. No flu though.

I had the flu once a few years ago, and honestly... as bad as I felt it didn't compare to how I felt when I had the flu. I seriously wanted to die. The body aches!!

Yep, we had something like that this past week, and I even had them tested for strep and it came out negative, then the Dr said he's seeing a LOT Of it.

We did have tummy troubles and then that travelled south...

We ended up taking Ocscillococcinum and it helped *immensely*.

30-slide.jpg

What I learned is that the faster you take it, the better it works. The one that was the first to come down with the virus and NOT take it is still feeling a few symptoms over a week later. The one that came down with it the day before yesterday and I got the first doses into her within an hour of the fever? She's up and and running around now.

We are dealing with this since Wednesday. My dd is so sick with this. It's exactly as you describe. She's okay in the morning but as the day progresses her throat hurts, congested,, eyes watering and fever spikes at about noon. Dr says there's nothing that can be done just advil, fluids, and rest. So frustrating that I can do nothing more for my baby girl.

We're smack in the middle of it:

Dd8, fever from last Friday through about Sunday evening. Congestion afterwards.

Me, fever from Tuesday afternoon through Thursday morning. Congestion, coughing afterwards.

Dd12, fever from Thursday evening through today (Sat). She's hoarse now with a sore throat.

Dd13, started fever today; with a big sore throat. We'll see how long she lasts.

Ds16 is chugging Emergen-C; Dd20 is hanging in there. Dh said he's starting to feel "yucky"; he's going to take the home shift tomorrow from church.

'Tis the season. Bah, humbug. :glare:

Now my the next one in line is saying she doesn't feel well. Her tonsils are huge with white spots. Doesn't sound good, does it? She's been a little nauseous, too. I really don't want to pay another co-pay but if those white spots don't look better by tomorrow...

ETA: She was fine the next day. Some good news at least. :)

Day 16: Now I'm wondering again how long this can possibly last. This afternoon dd went back to bed again. Her color still isn't back to normal and there are circles under her eyes. And I've also got a thread going about how her ears are congested and she's had problems hearing. This virus has really thrown her for a loop.

My son has been basically sleeping and coughing for about six days, now. He had dance performances scheduled last Thursday (which he made it through, after losing what dinner he'd managed to eat during intermission) and Saturday (when he danced three of the six numbers he was supposed to do). He slept so long last Friday that I started worrying about dehydration. He is 5'11" and weighs under 120 pounds on a good day. He's lost weight while being sick and looks far too thin for this mom's taste.

He has a big choir thing coming up this weekend and yet another dance performance a few days after that, AND he's scheduled to sing at church on Christmas eve. He insisted on going to dance class last night, because they are still nailing down choreography for their big competition number. He said he managed to dance for 12 minutes of the hour-long class. Tonight, I insisted he stay home, and his dance teacher agreed with me. He has featured parts in both of the dance numbers, and if he can't dance, they can't perform those routines at the next set of holiday shows.

So, we need to get him back on his feet.

My husband had what seems to have been (she said, knocking on wood) a much milder version of the same thing. He was tired and is still coughing a week later, but he never ended up flat on his back for days on end like our son.

I seem to be coming down with something, although, again (please?!?) not with the same severity as whatever my son got. I'm coughing and tired and feel generally lousy, but I'm still managing to eat (wouldn't you know it?) and more or less keep up with everything I need to do.

Sixteen days? No way. We just can't!