Menu

How many sides does a circle have?

This is why I hate test prep books. Unless they're using questions from actual tests, which are very carefully screened for being nonambiguous, they tend to come up with nonsense like this.

There's a joke about how many sides a circle has. The answer is two, an inside and an outside.

This is why I hate test prep books. Unless they're using questions from actual tests, which are very carefully screened for being nonambiguous, they tend to come up with nonsense like this.

Unfortunately, some of the actual tests have questions as dumb. Here in Florida there were several questions on last year's FCAT equally ambiguous or outright wrong.

The textbook series I use in my school would say 0 sides for a circle. Some kids have trouble with that, so I began explaining that when they are older and talking about shapes and sides, they're usually talking about polygons, which only have straight sides/edges. Circles are not polygons, and follow a completely different set of rules.

I asked my future math major, and he said, "Infinitely many." He clarified (ha) that it is the limit as n goes to infinity of an n-gon.

My first thought was infinitely many. As you add additional equal sides to a shape, the shape becomes more and more circular.

So funny--this same question was posed to my 1st grade class. I thought of infinite, tiny sides, but couldn't express this in words, so I drew a line just touching the edge of the circle, trying to demonstrate that at some tiny point, there was a "side" and that the whole circle could be made from them. :)

The textbook series I use in my school would say 0 sides for a circle. Some kids have trouble with that, so I began explaining that when they are older and talking about shapes and sides, they're usually talking about polygons, which only have straight sides/edges. Circles are not polygons, and follow a completely different set of rules.

That would have been my thought.

Yep! And, for those who want the answer to be infinitely many, a polygon with an infinite number of sides still would not be a circle. It would be always approaching the circular shape but never reaching it. In order to be a circle, it would have to be a curved line. Polygons are made up of line segments, which by definition must be straight.