Menu

Will this feed 100+ people?

We're having ds's graduation party tomorrow afternoon/evening. I was planning 75 -80 people, but now it looks like we'll have at least 100.

I am panicking :eek:. Do I have enough food?

Meat/Cheese Tray

11 lbs deli meat

6 lbs deli cheese

rolls

condiments

Snacks

2 bags pretzels

2 bags Doritos

Veggie Tray

5 lbs baby carrots

large bunch celery

4 pints grape tomatoes

3 green peppers

2 red peppers

dips

Fruit Salad

2 seedless watermelon

4 qts strawberries

6 kiwi

1 pineapple

2 bags red grapes

Macaroni Salad

3 lbs pasta

6 cans tuna

doz hard-boiled eggs

onion

celery

15 lbs. salt potatoes

baked beans

4 doz deviled eggs

Dessert

11x17 cake

choc chip cookies

sugar cookies

peanut butter cookies

The first one is for serving 100 people,.

the 2nd one is for 50 people, so you would have to double it.

Remember the more choices you have, the less you need of each item.

I have done 4 grad open houses and you NEVER need as much food as you think you will need!

Congratulations and Good Luck!

http://members.tripod.com/~lotsofinfo/H1servingamnts.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/appybuffet.html

BTW..what are Salt Potatoes????????

The meatball sandwiches are what I would've suggested too!

They're super-duper easy, buy the meatballs frozen, then just dump in crockpot with some sauce(I'd use spaghetti sauce, but you could also use bbq sauce if necessary). Set out some sub sandwich rolls cut in half, because most people will only want half the sandwich anyway.

That's it. If you wanted to, you could set out some extra sliced provolone or mozarella cheese just to top it off.

Most of all, have fun! I love to have parties like you're describing, but I rarely remember that I'm supposed to be enjoying the party and not just crossing another thing off my list of stuff to do.

I would some how add a few more bags of chips as well as the meatballs. Something with dips, maybe 3 or 4 of them. Easy ones, like a room temp cream cheese with shirmp cocktail poured over it,or salsa poured over it. Something from a jar poured over cream cheese is usually good, with Ritz or some corn chips. Chili Con Queso(cheese,salsa, little bit of chili) mixed together in a warmer bowl with corn chips off to the side. I think you are really close to having enough but adding some more munchie stuff wouldnt' hurt.:D

Have a great party

Part of it depends on the time of day. I know you said afternoon/evening, but you may want to consider the exact times. If you are starting after lunch and ending before dinner, you should be fine, but if you are starting at 3and going until 7...you will have more hungry people at the end of the party. If there is food to eat they will stay longer, if the food is gone...people will leave for dinner (not necessarily a bad thing :) ) Another thing to consider is where people are coming from before your party. If it is directly after an event, you will want more food because people won't have a chance to eat in between. If there is an hour or two, people are more likely to have already eaten and you will need less.

If you are adding food, Iagree with adding a simple main dish like meatball subs. They are easy to prepare and if you end up with extras, you can freeze them for later. Stage how much you put out by keeping more prepared in the oven in baking dishes and just filling the chaffing dish, crock pot or other warming device as needed. Same with the cheese...get the pre grated cheese or if you have a Kitchenaid with the shredder attachment it works great for cheese. Put out part of the cheese at a time. That way if you have left over cheese, you can save it and freeze it. I personally won't save food if it has been put out for others (I don't like the idea of kids fingers touching everything) so that is why I suggest keeping it put back until you need it.

Another easy main dish is spaghetti or fettuccine. Just break the noodles before you cook it into about 3 inch segments to make it easier to serve and eat. Garlic bread is quick and easy if you serve it as warm bread instead of toasted bread. Just slice the loaf lengthways, butter/garlic salt it, slice again in cross sections, then wrap in foil, toss in the oven. Two loaves of bread will give you about 32 small pieces. Again keep it in the oven, mix the sauce with the noodles so it is already to serve and just bring it out when you need it. You can freeze any left overs.

Chips are another thing that is easy to keep put away in the kitchen and brought out when/if you need them.

If you didn't say on the invite that you are serving a "meal" I wouldn't worry about a meal, if you are only offering orderves ....I think you are fine.

I hope your party goes well, and that you get a chance to relax and enjoy yourself.

One other party suggestion, is to hire a teen to come over and 'mock' cater for you. Someone whose sole purpose is to tend the party. To clear debris, bring out food as needed, wipe down tables and be a basic buss person. A $20 investment into a little labor can make the day soooo much nicer for the hostess!

The party is from 5 till 8 or 9 pm. I did tell people we're eating.

I read your replies before I left work @ noon.

I also read a note from a friend who said she's making cole slaw to bring (I'd forgotten she offered to make a dish).

When I got home from work, I found that another friend brought me fresh zucchini and cucumbers from her garden! Woo hoo!! Two more items (free no less!) for my veggie tray.

We (younger dc & I) headed to BJ's after taking dd to work @ 1.

At BJ's we bought bottled water, paper goods, more dip, some potato chips, another small bag of potatoes, some broccoli, another small watermelon, and frozen meatballs, sauce and rolls.

I am so blessed by my IRL friends here who help, who cook, who loan me stuff, and by my Hive friends who give me great ideas (this time and others).

Oh, and Katie... salt potatoes are the smaller potatoes (1/4 to 1/3 size?) that you cook in very salty water, then serve with butter melted over the top.

Blessings to you all!

The party is from 5 till 8 or 9 pm. I did tell people we're eating.

I read your replies before I left work @ noon.

I also read a note from a friend who said she's making cole slaw to bring (I'd forgotten she offered to make a dish).

When I got home from work, I found that another friend brought me fresh zucchini and cucumbers from her garden! Woo hoo!! Two more items (free no less!) for my veggie tray.

We (younger dc & I) headed to BJ's after taking dd to work @ 1.

At BJ's we bought bottled water, paper goods, more dip, some potato chips, another small bag of potatoes, some broccoli, another small watermelon, and frozen meatballs, sauce and rolls.

I am so blessed by my IRL friends here who help, who cook, who loan me stuff, and by my Hive friends who give me great ideas (this time and others).

Oh, and Katie... salt potatoes are the smaller potatoes (1/4 to 1/3 size?) that you cook in very salty water, then serve with butter melted over the top.

Blessings to you all!

Sounds wonderful!!! And now I'm very hungry :D I'm glad you have your IRL friends to help out.

Salt potatoes....haven't had them since I lived in Syracuse a million years ago....YUM!!!!

If you figure 5 servings per pound of meat, you've only got enough for about 50 sandwiches, and your party is going dinnertime and beyond. If you bought enough meatballs for 50, you should be okay, but people will likely get seconds given the time span.

Also, people will often eat 2-3 halves of deviled eggs. People at the front of the line may not realize they should only take one. I would add more.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather was lousy (pouring rain!) until it came time for us to leave to go set up at the park.

We had a total of 93 people (whew!).

I skipped making the deviled eggs cause the dozen I peeled for the macaroni salad stuck terribly to the shells. Hoped for the best.

I had more leftovers than I expected:

- about a dozen potatoes left (out of 20 lbs).

- 1/2 pan of macaroni salad (out of 2 1/2 size buffet pans)

- 1 1/2 pans of fruit salad (out of 4)

- 1/2 the veggies and dip

- NO meatballs

- 3/4 lb deli meat, 1/4 lb cheese

- lots of rolls

I threw away one small slice of cake, and we took a couple dozen cookies home.

The weather stayed clear for the rest of the evening, and those who stayed got to watch a beautiful sunset over Lake Ontario.

Many complimented us on having a nice party and thought the weeknight party was a great idea, because weekends are already so full.:)

The meatballs from BJ's were so affordable and good-tasting! They are top on the list for dd's graduation in 2009.

Thanks again for all your help and advice!