Menu

10th grader needs to catch up quickly

Guest RobbieL

Guest RobbieL

I used TWTM years ago w/ my boys. Our boys are now in school due to ministry connections; however, my 15 yo is at home recovering from GI disease/illness. He has missed quite a bit of school and I'm looking for recommendations for catching him up as quickly as possible with the possibiliy of him returning to school. I am thinking of doing:

Videotext Online: Math

Apologia: Science

Of course I need all subject areas, and Math and Science aren't set, but I would like for something he can do mostly independently, allowing him to skip what he doesn't need, with the flexibility of quickly forging through when appropriate.

Someone suggested Alpha Omega - what else might I consider? I'm comfortable assisting in most areas, especially language arts, time permitting.

Thanks for any suggestions. I could really use some help!

Alpha Omega lifepacs certainly would be quick to work through for a motivated student, but my son had little learning from those in the high school years. Does your school system have online courses for some students? They would be free, and the credits would be ready for your ds. Many of the online programs offered by school districts in Oregon are self paced and can be worked quite quickly.

Robbie,

I'm confused. You said you want to catch him up with an eye toward returning him to school. Does this mean that you have withdrawn him from school to homeschool him?

If he's currently enrolled in school, do they not provide a home bound teacher for him when he's missing so much that he's behind? That teacher would be responsible for keeping him up with his classes.

If you are now homeschooling him, think carefully about why you want him to catch up. I say this because, depending on a number of factors such as his academic background and the severity of his illness, it may not be possible. It might be better just to pick up where you are and move forward at a reasonable pace. If you choose to re-enroll him in school, there's nothing wrong with having him start where he is - if he needs to repeat the 10th grade because of his illness, that is fine.

If you make a plan to get him caught up with his class, make sure that he knows what is involved in the process and that he buys in to the plan. If he doesn't buy in, it might cause a lot of stress and undue tension. If he is still ill or recovering, he may not have the stamina to accomplish the plan and I think he needs the opportunity to look at the catch up plan as a whole before you commit to it. Sometimes less is best.

Math U See is another good catch--up math program to consider.

I've never used it, but Apologia is generally not considered a "get it done and move on" sort of program. It's very thorough and also vocabulary intensive. What science does he need to catch up on? i.e. how many credits, and which area(s) of science? Is just doing bookwork acceptable, or do you need labs? Do you need rigorous curricula for a future engineer?