Menu

Would this bother you?

Annie Laurie

I found a discussion forum while googling about a topic I'm interested in. I went to register, and they ask for info such as your full name, the names and ages of all your children, what you do for a living, etc. They tell you only the admin sees this and no one else will, but I felt that was just too much personal info to be required to share, and didn't finish registering.

Well, it is a way to keep forums small, personal and free of spam. I wouldn't sign up for a forum like that, but I understand the reasons, so it wouldn't bother me.

Yes, I understood their motivation. They made it clear that it's a female only forum and I'm sure they just wanted to make sure people were who they said they were. It did bother me because I wanted to discuss with them, and it is a local board so I could have met some local moms, but I just couldn't give out that info so trustingly on the net.

Since it's a local thing you might be able to get signed up irl. A local business that we use a lot has a generous perks card. When I went to sign up online I noticed it was not a secure site. I called their office directly and they were able to get me a card without me signing up online. Maybe if this group meets you in person they could accept your membership without all the information.