Menu

What do you put in stockings for the Grownups

ChristineW

I have no idea what to put in DH's stocking this year other than an orange and some shaving cream. I also inevitably fill my own stocking. Usually, with cheap little lotions, lip gloss etc. However, I will have a newborn and the last two babies have had highly sensitive skin--major reactions to purfumes etc. Any natural or unscented products that would be safe?

Thanks,

Christine

I would like giftcards--just to little coffee shops or even fast food for when youngest and I are out and about while older dd has class. Dh and I will have stockings this year for the first time since we've been a family of 5 (new stockings for all as the old ones got destroyed in storage this year). His will probably be practical items, like good masking tape because dds used up all the good painter's tape and all we have is cheap stuff that doesn't pull off right. I'm sure he'll get dark chocolate of some kind too--his weakness. I'll have to keep thinking--curious to see what ideas others have.

Things NOT to put in DH's stocking: lady's underwear

Otherwise you might have a darling second grader tell her Sunday School teacher that her dad got lady's underwear in his Christmas stocking, and then you'll forever wonder who was wearing said item!

Or, you know, go ahead and put it in and open it when the kids aren't around :-)

I"ve reached the point I refuse to fill my own stocking. I just buy chocolate for me. at least some of my kids think about putting something in mom's stocking now.

for my girls I've done jewelry, chocolate, anything else they're getting that's really small.

boys - single dvd's, earbuds anything small.

I put chocolate in dh's stocking.

Things NOT to put in DH's stocking: lady's underwear

Otherwise you might have a darling second grader tell her Sunday School teacher that her dad got lady's underwear in his Christmas stocking, and then you'll forever wonder who was wearing said item!

Or, you know, go ahead and put it in and open it when the kids aren't around :-)

or more likely "not wearing".

If your dh doesn't mind receiving toiletries in his stocking (mine doesn't):

Shaving soap/cream (if soap, wrap in foil so the scent doesn't absorb into everything)

Deodorant

Floss

Toothpaste

Other stuff I've put in dh's stocking over the years:

Candy

Socks

Fancy mustard or other small condiments (wasabi, tabasco, or anything else he likes)

Sardines

Can of almonds/peanuts/mixed nuts

Vegan jerky

Mechanical pencils/leads

Flashlight

I focus on things I would not normally buy him but he likes or has mentioned:

specific kitchen gadgets (this year, specialty salt/pepper grinders he's mentioned but has yet to pick up on his own-- better not in the next few weeks)

dark chocolate (really, I don't care so much for the dark chocolate)

a funny t-shirt

a bottle of red wine