Menu

Girly gift for Tomboy 13yo?

indigomama

I have a 13 yo relative who is a bit of a tomboy. I don't think she had much choice as her mom pushed being tomboyish and she had two older (much older) brothers. Lately, she has been hinting at the fact that she likes girls things and then wondering if that's wrong. Examples: wearing a dress, baking, liking boys etc.

I would like to get her a gift or experience ( manicure, haircut?) for Christmas that would let her explore being more girly. Any suggestions? I live to far away to do anything with her but can send her a gift or arrange an outing.

ETA: Now, before I get flamed, I want to add, I am not trying to change her, love her just the way she is, I just think from her facebook comments lately and conversations with her that she would enjoy trying girly things. I think the only reason she hasn't is because her mom doesn't know how to encourage any of those things and she is a little insecure in herself. I am very confident that the mom would not disapprove and I know the dad would be all for it.

My tomboyish (of her own accord) 13 year old loves going for a mani-pedi (we've only gone twice in 2 years or so for special occasions) -- she goes with me, but would probably be happy to go with a friend -- would feel awkward going on her own. She also likes going shopping in places like Plato's closet where she can find inexpensive clothes that are mostly tomboyish but a little girly -- she can find more like this at the secondhand places than at regular stores -- she hates the mall. Mine isn't into makeup at all, but for most girls this age, getting to go to the department store for one of their makeovers/to play with the makeup, and then maybe a small kit (skin care if none of the makeup appeals) might be fun, again, this would probably be awkward without me and/or a friend to go with.

My dd11 is fairly tomboyish, but she loves pretty earrings (like these) (and her little earring tree - it looks like a bird bath, with a few birds on it, too), bracelets (she has a couple of favorites - a leather bracelet and a pretty Asian one), nice belts, boots (oh how she loves boots!), and nice tops. Another thing she has enjoyed lately is doing different things with her hair - I should find those wraps that allow you to style/wrap your hair in various ways; hair supply items are fun, though mostly, a good brush, some pony tail holders, and youtube seem to be serving her well. :) She doesn't usually ask for those things - in the past, she's asked for things like inline skates, a pogo stick, stilts, a nice bike, and this year, her big request is a recurve bow. A couple years ago, she asked for sewing supplies and materials to make a fringe quilt. My dd might be a little too young to appreciate a manicure or hair salon experience, but I think that could be fun, especially if she had a friend to go with her.

I was a tomboy, still am at heart. Maybe a gift card for clothes or nail polish. a cool scarf or hat in some more feminine colors. Purple or aqua (teal) are kind of nice colors. They don't scream diva like hot pink (although that's what my dogs wears :D), but they are clearly girly. Also notebooks and pens in more girly colors were always nice. If she's in traditional school, it kind of makes the statement that I'm thinking about being more girly without too much commitment and too much change. Socks could be good too. There are lots of fun designs out there now.

My tomboyish (of her own accord) 13 year old loves going for a mani-pedi (we've only gone twice in 2 years or so for special occasions) -- she goes with me, but would probably be happy to go with a friend -- would feel awkward going on her own. She also likes going shopping in places like Plato's closet where she can find inexpensive clothes that are mostly tomboyish but a little girly -- she can find more like this at the secondhand places than at regular stores -- she hates the mall. Mine isn't into makeup at all, but for most girls this age, getting to go to the department store for one of their makeovers/to play with the makeup, and then maybe a small kit (skin care if none of the makeup appeals) might be fun, again, this would probably be awkward without me and/or a friend to go with.

So, maybe I should look into a mani-pedi gift card for the girl and her mom. I think make-up would be pushing it for the mom. Thanks for the ideas!

My dd11 is fairly tomboyish, but she loves pretty earrings (like these) (and her little earring tree - it looks like a bird bath, with a few birds on it, too), bracelets (she has a couple of favorites - a leather bracelet and a pretty Asian one), nice belts, boots (oh how she loves boots!), and nice tops. Another thing she has enjoyed lately is doing different things with her hair - I should find those wraps that allow you to style/wrap your hair in various ways; hair supply items are fun, though mostly, a good brush, some pony tail holders, and youtube seem to be serving her well. :) She doesn't usually ask for those things - in the past, she's asked for things like inline skates, a pogo stick, stilts, a nice bike, and this year, her big request is a recurve bow. A couple years ago, she asked for sewing supplies and materials to make a fringe quilt. My dd might be a little too young to appreciate a manicure or hair salon experience, but I think that could be fun, especially if she had a friend to go with her.

She doesn't wear any jewelry, in fact I'm not sure she even has pierced ears. She might like a leather bracelet, maybe I could find one that was "indie" and feminine. She barely brushes her hair, so I think things for the hair wouldn't be used.

A sewing kit might be a fun idea. Thanks!

I was a tomboy, still am at heart. Maybe a gift card for clothes or nail polish. a cool scarf or hat in some more feminine colors. Purple or aqua (teal) are kind of nice colors. They don't scream diva like hot pink (although that's what my dogs wears :D), but they are clearly girly. Also notebooks and pens in more girly colors were always nice. If she's in traditional school, it kind of makes the statement that I'm thinking about being more girly without too much commitment and too much change. Socks could be good too. There are lots of fun designs out there now.

I'm afraid if I got her a gift card for clothes she would buy all black or grungy. She mentioned wearing a dress for the first time and really liking how it made her feel but I don't think she'd buy one on her own. Nail polishes and socks and notepads are good ideas. She does a homeschool/charter school program, where she's made some neat friends, also through 4H which have helped her with her new interests. I think she sees more girls her age now and realizes it can be fun to be girly sometimes:)