Menu

Dunno how I feel about the name change at this Gilda's Club branch, but...

nmoira

It makes me sad that such a talent could even begin to be forgotten. Gilda Radner was such a huge part of my youth. I watched her on SNL from the very beginning. Had her album memorized, saw the concert film. Cried when she died. Haven't been able to read her book because I don't think I could handle it.

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/28/a_gildas_club_loses_gilda/

That is appalling.

If an organization has no clue how to promote itself that has nothing to do with the person who it is named after. They should not change the name. :(

I can't help but wonder what Gene Wilder thinks about this.

:( I can't imagine they even thought about how her husband is still alive while they were thinking about those were born since she passed away.

Wow. That is so sad, and so terribly short-sighted.

You really should read the book. It is a bit sad, yes, but only because you know she died. She wrote it with the warmth and wit for which she was so famous. It is hilarious. I will forever remember the image she painted of a single mung bean sprout passing through an enema tube. It was in one of her stories about seeking alternative treatments. You won't regret the read.

This is sad. This organization has been such a blessing to my aunt and her family during her cancer battle. I didn't know who she was myself, but why remove her name?

:grouphug:

They seem to be getting a fair amount of flak.

I was inspired today take a Gilda trip through YouTube with my girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64jfKo3vKtE

Wow. That is so sad, and so terribly short-sighted.

You really should read the book. It is a bit sad, yes, but only because you know she died. She wrote it with the warmth and wit for which she was so famous. It is hilarious. I will forever remember the image she painted of a single mung bean sprout passing through an enema tube. It was in one of her stories about seeking alternative treatments. You won't regret the read.

Thanks. Maybe if I read it back to back with Julia Sweeny's book, another one that seems to stare at me from the shelf.

Gilda's Club sound like a place I want to visit, like there will be a friendly person to welcome me, even if I know the real reason I'm going is because of cancer. Even if you don't know who Gilda Radnor was, having a name is welcoming.

Cancer Support Community of.... does not sound welcoming or friendly. It sounds very arms length. It sounds very depressing. I would put off going as much as possible and probably miss out on nice things they have to offer because the name is stark, bland and not comforting.

The local chapter doing this and the national chapter if they actually plan to do this as stated in the article are short sighted.