Menu

Another transcript question ... subject vs. year

dirty ethel rackham

So, as I am putting together a preliminary transcript for ds16's college visit tomorrow, I am realizing that his sophomore year is rather light. I guess I was so busy getting his brother squared away for college that I neglected to make sure I had everything covered. He really only has a half credit for English - I am rectifying that with more writing this year and this coming summer. Also, his Chemistry class from freshman year spilled over into sophomore year and he didn't finish his Physics class last year in time for the AP (B) exam so he is finishing it up this year. So, do I fudge and put it in for his sophomore year or do I put it in with his junior year (which will have two college science classes this year.)

Or, do I make a subject transcript? If I do that, how well-received are subject transcripts? Anyone have experience with acceptances with subject transcripts?

We organized our transcript by year just to make it look more "normal."

For classes that didn't fit neatly into one school year, I took an explanatory approach.

I listed those weird classes in the year that the majority of the work was done and put an asterisk after the class name. Then I put an explanatory footnote at the bottom of the page (with an asterisk) saying "Coursework extended outside standard semester schedule."

For us, classes that were denoted with an asterisk were classes that:

1) extended over more than a standard school year;

2) were compilations of activities done over multiple years (obviously elective classes)

3) were taken at the CC or local college during the summer

So, as I am putting together a preliminary transcript for ds16's college visit tomorrow.

Or, do I make a subject transcript? If I do that, how well-received are subject transcripts? Anyone have experience with acceptances with subject transcripts?

I made a transcript for my son that was organized by subject. All 8 colleges he applied to (public & private) accepted it (& him) with no questions asked. I have heard that some schools want the "by year" version, so you should definitely find out when your child is applying. However, just for a college visit, I think the subject one will be fine.

If you have the chance to discuss details with an admissions person during the visit, you could show them your "by subject" one and say that is what you were planning on submitting, and ask them if it's OK.

Brenda

It seems to me that LACs (such as Hillsdale) are happy with the subject transcript. STEMs seem to want the year format. Or at least, that's what we've found.

He is visitng a bunch of LACs but will be majoring in a STEM field. Well, he is on his way, and I just left it by year (with an In Progress for the class he did not finish..) Dh is taking him. I would rather be the one taking him, but I have to host something for another group here. They can always call me.

It seems to me that LACs (such as Hillsdale) are happy with the subject transcript. STEMs seem to want the year format. Or at least, that's what we've found.

Margaret,

Not our experience here. My ds applied to (and was accepted by) 6 schools known for their heavy STEM emphasis with his "by subject" transcript. Are there any other STEM-heavy schools that you are aware of (besides the academies) that specifically asked for a "by year" transcript?

Brenda